Think Like a Dog?

Post Reply
User avatar
AZ Brittany Guy
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 1413
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:00 pm
Location: Arizona

Think Like a Dog?

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:21 pm

Think like a dog is........A very abstract statement that many old pros make.

What are examples of thinking like a dog?

Or...reading a dog?

A couple that I have heard are:

"When a dog sighs in a training session it is a sign of submission, or when they lick their lips"

"When a dog shivers it is confused or excited"

User avatar
ROTTnBRITT
Rank: Champion
Posts: 340
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:36 am
Location: NE PA

Re: Think Like a Dog?

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:46 am

My Britt will Yawn with a loud whine/howle when excited. When he see the hunting gear he does this non stop, it continues until I let him out of the dog box.

User avatar
AZ Brittany Guy
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 1413
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:00 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: Think Like a Dog?

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:44 pm

I have one that does the same thing. I'm not sure what to make of it other than it is just a way of expressing excitement.

User avatar
tailcrackin
Rank: 2X Champion
Posts: 422
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:38 pm
Location: Crab Orchard, Kentucky

Re: Think Like a Dog?

Post by tailcrackin » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:44 pm

Alot of people will have a closed mind when it comes to dog work. When this is said or stated, myself, I am trying to get the people to pay attention to the dog. You watch alot of people working dogs, miss or overlook the action of the dog in a certain situation, or any situation. Everything with a dog happens for a reason, negative or positive........its for a reason. Why isnt it doing, or acting the way we are expecting or wanting? This is a time that doesnt get thought about, or dog gets the blame for it.......a dog gets itself, in alot of trouble when it wont stand still.......but people dont think about them not understanding english. A dog will always read your eyes, voice, and touch, why is it when the dog doesnt understand why its supposed to stand, or how its supposed to stand......and the stronger the word that it doesnt understand...gets more firm, and the dog starts to fold up.....its a stupid dog. If you think about it a little deeper, the dog only knows what has been taught. So, then who's fault is it? People think people on doing things, dogs dont think like people, they think like dogs, so why not keep things real simple, and leave it on the dogs table? Gimmicks are great....when the dog is ready for gimmicks, it makes the job easier at times, exspecially when you are working alone, but until the dog shows you its ready for that stuff, or is ready for the need of that stuff, why booger it up? Thanks Jonesy
"Don't make it happen. Get it ready and let it happen"
- Ray Hunt
www.jonesysgundogs.com

User avatar
russnhunter
Rank: Just A Pup
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:55 pm
Location: Denver, Colorado

Re: Think Like a Dog?

Post by russnhunter » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:27 pm

How funny,
Hunter (My Brittany) does the same thing.
I find that he talks a lot and I just had to learn to listen.
Best dog I ever had.
RussnHunter
Have fun,
Russ"N"Hunter

User avatar
AZ Brittany Guy
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 1413
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:00 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: Think Like a Dog?

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:16 pm

Thanks Jonsey,

MikeB
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 853
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:20 pm
Location: So. California

Re: Think Like a Dog?

Post by MikeB » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:52 am

AZ

I am sure these links will help you understand your dog better.

Thinking Like A Dog
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sour ... =&gs_rfai=

Reading Your Dogs Body Language
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=re ... g&gs_rfai=

User avatar
AZ Brittany Guy
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 1413
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:00 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: Think Like a Dog?

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:44 am

Thanks Mike, I appreciate it.

After working with the Silent Command System for almost 7 years now, I understand some things. Repetition, Association = Conditioned Response but when someone like Rick Smith, Jonsey, Mo, Bill Gibbons etc. etc. look at a dog or train a dog, I am certain they see it from a different perspective than an enthusiastic amateur (that would be me) does. I know when working with Ben Garcia, he sees things the dog is doing while we are walking in the field, just talking. I thought I was pretty observant but Ben can carry on a conversation about the family and in mid sentence stop and say "did you see that?", and I am saying "see what?"

User avatar
kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!
Posts: 7845
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2004 12:45 am
Location: Coolidge AZ

Re: Think Like a Dog?

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:07 am

What is the face saying ears slightly tucked back skin kinda tight under the eyes...Confusion and or apprehension
Eyes straight forward with a hard stare shoulder stiff and square...Mental Block wall in training as I am not doing it price isn't high enough nope you can't make me OR if this is at another dog this is confrontation the head will be higher up ears will get a bit more pinned then the apprehension look

Tail down..not real thrill
Tail semi tucked... resistance
tail tucked with rounded back end.. scared
tail tucked head down rounded back end we are headed for a shut down

Look at the eyes...Flip over flailing vocalizing tail not tucked but just down with a more rounded eye that will give eye contact is trying to figure a way out of doing something take small steps and get them to work through that you can't bluff your way out of it
same thing with no eye contact balling up flat out scared with tail extremely tucked be prepared for fear bites and drastic reaction specially if you go faster then tiny baby steps for this dog to figure out things are not going to kill them

Sighs and deep a breath face relaxes we are starting to accept what is going on
Licking of lips is realizing what is going on still in a process of thinking but until the face relaxes we haven't fully bought in to what is being asked

Are they looking at you for direction ..or are they staring you down as in a battle of the wills...are they looking through you that is they are faced to you no eye contact and you can see their mind is in the field behind you


Just got corrected and set back up and they shake...Yes they just shook you off

or when corrected and they just stare at you then mind gets total fixed back at what they want and then back at you with that look of is that all you got... yes this dog is very willful and is letting you know if they want something bad enough there isn't anything you are going to do to fully stop them until you find a price they are not willing to pay...Have had a couple pointers like that...They belong to someone else as a hunting companion for wild birds as she had nothing to offer for our kennel.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

User avatar
ezzy333
GDF Junkie
Posts: 16644
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:14 pm
Location: Dixon IL

Re: Think Like a Dog?

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:34 am

kninebirddog wrote:What is the face saying ears slightly tucked back skin kinda tight under the eyes...Confusion and or apprehension
Eyes straight forward with a hard stare shoulder stiff and square...Mental Block wall in training as I am not doing it price isn't high enough nope you can't make me OR if this is at another dog this is confrontation the head will be higher up ears will get a bit more pinned then the apprehension look

Tail down..not real thrill
Tail semi tucked... resistance
tail tucked with rounded back end.. scared
tail tucked head down rounded back end we are headed for a shut down

Look at the eyes...Flip over flailing vocalizing tail not tucked but just down with a more rounded eye that will give eye contact is trying to figure a way out of doing something take small steps and get them to work through that you can't bluff your way out of it
same thing with no eye contact balling up flat out scared with tail extremely tucked be prepared for fear bites and drastic reaction specially if you go faster then tiny baby steps for this dog to figure out things are not going to kill them

Sighs and deep a breath face relaxes we are starting to accept what is going on
Licking of lips is realizing what is going on still in a process of thinking but until the face relaxes we haven't fully bought in to what is being asked

Are they looking at you for direction ..or are they staring you down as in a battle of the wills...are they looking through you that is they are faced to you no eye contact and you can see their mind is in the field behind you


Just got corrected and set back up and they shake...Yes they just shook you off

or when corrected and they just stare at you then mind gets total fixed back at what they want and then back at you with that look of is that all you got... yes this dog is very willful and is letting you know if they want something bad enough there isn't anything you are going to do to fully stop them until you find a price they are not willing to pay...Have had a couple pointers like that...They belong to someone else as a hunting companion for wild birds as she had nothing to offer for our kennel.

Arlette can you translate this back into English? Are you saying this dog needs to be gotten rid of / You lose me and am sure a lot of people when you don't use any sentence structure or punctuation.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

User avatar
AZ Brittany Guy
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 1413
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:00 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: Think Like a Dog?

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:42 am

Ezzy,

You have to know Arlette short-hand.. I thought she was talking about her ICON dog Bullet. I know he was point a pheasant about 10 ft. away and none of her comments related to that. I figured that out....I am a quick study :wink:

User avatar
ezzy333
GDF Junkie
Posts: 16644
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:14 pm
Location: Dixon IL

Re: Think Like a Dog?

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:14 pm

AZ Brittany Guy wrote:Ezzy,

You have to know Arlette short-hand.. I thought she was talking about her ICON dog Bullet. I know he was point a pheasant about 10 ft. away and none of her comments related to that. I figured that out....I am a quick study :wink:
Thought I knew what she was saying too, till I got to the end and realized she was talking about some dog she had and not the dogs the thread is about. But I agree, it does take some real study.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

User avatar
AZ Brittany Guy
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 1413
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:00 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: Think Like a Dog?

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:50 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
AZ Brittany Guy wrote:Ezzy,

You have to know Arlette short-hand.. I thought she was talking about her ICON dog Bullet. I know he was point a pheasant about 10 ft. away and none of her comments related to that. I figured that out....I am a quick study :wink:
Thought I knew what she was saying too, till I got to the end and realized she was talking about some dog she had and not the dogs the thread is about. But I agree, it does take some real study.

Ezzy
Arlette is not one for vocalizations with humans. :) When you meet her, she wants to slip a collar on you with a lead and conversation with short tugs. :mrgreen:

User avatar
kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!
Posts: 7845
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2004 12:45 am
Location: Coolidge AZ

Re: Think Like a Dog?

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:49 pm

A dog speaks with body language and What I posted is some Basic body language .....then what they body language is telling me.
Sorry for not being an English major.

So again Each line is what a dog is showing physically and what that is telling me about what is going through a dogs mind when they are showing those signs. I even separated the dogs body language with ....... to what that language is telling me.

So Basically I made it short and simple but I guess it was to simple for some :wink:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

User avatar
kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!
Posts: 7845
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2004 12:45 am
Location: Coolidge AZ

Re: Think Like a Dog?

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:53 pm

AZ Brittany Guy wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:
AZ Brittany Guy wrote:Ezzy,

You have to know Arlette short-hand.. I thought she was talking about her ICON dog Bullet. I know he was point a pheasant about 10 ft. away and none of her comments related to that. I figured that out....I am a quick study :wink:
Thought I knew what she was saying too, till I got to the end and realized she was talking about some dog she had and not the dogs the thread is about. But I agree, it does take some real study.

Ezzy
Arlette is not one for vocalizations with humans. :) When you meet her, she wants to slip a collar on you with a lead and conversation with short tugs. :mrgreen:
But it works :lol: K.I.S.S.

Oh PS remember Wayne the one guy that was a bit hard of hearing...He did come back and spend a few one on one sessions and passed his hunt tests..He was stoked.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

User avatar
wes_gsp
Rank: Junior Hunter
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:52 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: Think Like a Dog?

Post by wes_gsp » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:34 am

ezzy333 wrote:
kninebirddog wrote:What is the face saying ears slightly tucked back skin kinda tight under the eyes...Confusion and or apprehension
Eyes straight forward with a hard stare shoulder stiff and square...Mental Block wall in training as I am not doing it price isn't high enough nope you can't make me OR if this is at another dog this is confrontation the head will be higher up ears will get a bit more pinned then the apprehension look

Tail down..not real thrill
Tail semi tucked... resistance
tail tucked with rounded back end.. scared
tail tucked head down rounded back end we are headed for a shut down

Look at the eyes...Flip over flailing vocalizing tail not tucked but just down with a more rounded eye that will give eye contact is trying to figure a way out of doing something take small steps and get them to work through that you can't bluff your way out of it
same thing with no eye contact balling up flat out scared with tail extremely tucked be prepared for fear bites and drastic reaction specially if you go faster then tiny baby steps for this dog to figure out things are not going to kill them

Sighs and deep a breath face relaxes we are starting to accept what is going on
Licking of lips is realizing what is going on still in a process of thinking but until the face relaxes we haven't fully bought in to what is being asked

Are they looking at you for direction ..or are they staring you down as in a battle of the wills...are they looking through you that is they are faced to you no eye contact and you can see their mind is in the field behind you


Just got corrected and set back up and they shake...Yes they just shook you off

or when corrected and they just stare at you then mind gets total fixed back at what they want and then back at you with that look of is that all you got... yes this dog is very willful and is letting you know if they want something bad enough there isn't anything you are going to do to fully stop them until you find a price they are not willing to pay...Have had a couple pointers like that...They belong to someone else as a hunting companion for wild birds as she had nothing to offer for our kennel.

Arlette can you translate this back into English? Are you saying this dog needs to be gotten rid of / You lose me and am sure a lot of people when you don't use any sentence structure or punctuation.

Ezzy
Some important information to pull out of this is that: The Tail Tells All

Post Reply