E Collars: To do / Not to do

Meatballs

E Collars: To do / Not to do

Post by Meatballs » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:24 am

I am getting my first Gun Dog soon...DD...i am interested in conversation regarding the use of them and your recommendations for e-collars primarily to be used for hunting. Thanks. Matt

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: E Collars: To do / Not to do

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:33 am

There are manynthoughts about the e collar

Primary one is the e collar is an aid to maintain commands taught it is not a training tool per-say. You can use it in a manner where a dog can be cued for a desire response to a situation or as a correction though close in action there is a difference I like my dogs to respond to the cues when I need to cue not react to the e collar again fine line between the two

this is a link to how I prep and use the e collar UNDERSTANDING THE E COLLAR
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:11 pm

My opinion is that the e-collar is nothing more than a long check cord and 90% of the use is in the training area. I seldom use them in the field though I do have them on the dogs quite often. But they are never used when the dog is out of sight.

They are a wonderful tool, probably the best one there is.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:23 pm

I also run DD's. I believe you will find them to be the most interesting dog you have ever owned.

I'd go with a TT Pro100. It'll do everything you want.

Leave the collar on the dog continually, when he's out running, in training, hunting. Doesn't matter whether you need it or not. It's the greatest safety device you will ever own. The Astro is #2.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:35 pm

I know that you guys have deer in E-town. Best have an e-collar on your dog all the time. It'll avoid a lot of problems. No sublety required to trash break. Just let 'em have it till they quit chasing.

wes_gsp

Post by wes_gsp » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:15 pm

The most important thing to do with an e-collar is to correctly condition/introduce the dog to the stimulation. A e-collar is not something you can just strap on and expect the dog to correctly respond to when you use it. A e-collar is not a tool to teach command. The collar should only be used to correct commands the dog already understands. Introduce the collar with the same point of contact you first introduced the command along with stimulation from the collar. It is also important to find the correct level of stimulation for the dog you are working with. It needs to be strong enough so the dog can feel it but not overpowering so the dog twitches or whimpers.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:55 pm

Meatballs,
Several different ways to use the E-Collar, here we use the the Dogtra T&B Collar or the DT Systems T&B H2O Collar, in our training program. The Beeper is used as a command tool, initiated from the masters transmitter. Different numbers of beeps mean different commands to the dog. We use a double beep as a recall comand, a single beep 20 sec or more apart is used as a locator, especially when the dog is in the deep woods on Grouse point, and the master needs to walk to the dog on point. There is a great deal of training that goes into all this, but the dogs learn quickly what is expected. We do not use the Collar in run mode at all, other trainers do. We find that the quieter the Grouse hunt goes, the more Grouse are pointed and gunned. You might want to work up a similar training program for your dog, the dogs work well with it and the owner/Client always believes that he is in control of his dog, no matter how big the dog likes to run. Good luck with your new Collar.
RGD/Dave