Neighbor wants to train together

jn618

Neighbor wants to train together

Post by jn618 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:20 pm

Hey guys,

I've got a question. I have a 5 month old black lab with pointing in his background. His obediance is coming along good as well as his retrieving. Dog is definitely not gun shy. The problem is that my neighbor has an approx 3 year old chocolate lab that has very little manners (no sit, stay, come, heel, etc...), no ability to mark birds, and will flush anywhere from to about 50 yards. He insists that we let or dogs loose in the field and that I train mine with his so mine can get" socialized". He stated that he has hunted with unsocialized dogs and all they want to do is play with his. Should I stick to myself or go out once and awhile with him and his dog?

Any and all advice or opinions are welcome

Thanks for looking at my first thread,
John

Brittguy

Re: Neighbor wants to train together

Post by Brittguy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:07 pm

I would not run my dog with his at the same time . you could train together but let one dog out at a time. He must have been running with puppies, most adult dogs want to hunt rather than play with other dogs.

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:08 pm

It may be a lab, but I do not turn young dogs loose with dogs that have no manners, You will create alot of problems with your young one.. Just my thoughts. I'll turn pups loose with my broke dogs because it will help with steadiness in the field. If the older dogs can't handle it we work on it again.

rapid fire

Post by rapid fire » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:37 am

I've begun to train alone. If I need the assistance of a totally broke dog, that's one thing, but we are all too opinionated to train together without problems coming about.