Ranging Dog

43x

Ranging Dog

Post by 43x » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:53 pm

Lab, 2 yrs old . problem is keeping her close when pheasant hunting, wants to range. Constantly blowing the whistle to keep her close any suggestions ?

Thanks

K9luke

Re: Ranging Dog

Post by K9luke » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:42 pm

What birds do you use for training ?
I use pigeons and when a dog starts to range on me I carry a few pigeons in a bag during training . When the dog starts to get out to the far edge of where I want it to be, I drop a bird when the dog is not looking and step away a few steps. Call the dog back close talking to it "hunt em up", "where's the bird" and let it find the bird.
This works great with young dogs because it instills in them that you know where the birds are and they shorten up the range on their own.

K9luke

Post by K9luke » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:48 pm

One other thought to add. When you are out hunting or training. Change directions frequently, never walk a straight line even if it takes you out of your way or takes you the long way to an area that might hold birds.

43x

Post by 43x » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:15 am

Thanks for the reply. If I can get her over this hunt deep mode she is good to go !

Thanks

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:49 am

You have to make the dog more aware of the handler. Let's say you want the dog to stay within 20 yards and quarter. Start at the start, a check cord. When the dog hits the end, hit two quick blasts of the whistle, jerk the cc, tip the dog over, and head in another direction. Same when it hits the end again. Pretty soon the dog will let wary and try not to hit the end of the cc.

Now swith to the ecollar. Same deal. When the dog hits 20 yards, two tweets, nick, change direction. The dog by now should get out and hunt but look back at you to see where you are. Now you have him. Now, quit warning him by whistle. When he exceeds 20 yards, nick him FIRST, then two whistle blasts. You have to make him aware of your presence so you are not continually having to correct him.

By blowing the whistle too often, you'll move every pheasant in the field out in front of you. That's why you MUST have a dog that stay close to you without direction from you. Labs are bandits. They'll push you to the limit every day.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:21 am

Bandits, eh? :twisted:

Ain't that the truth.

Train them like spaniels for the range - questing. The problem is, firstly, finding a spaniel training group that exists, and secondarily, one that will admit the heathen retrievers. Wait a minute, there's always

a Boykin coming out of the woodwork to bridge the great divide. Right, Ezzy? :wink:

MG