Did I mess up?

asc

Did I mess up?

Post by asc » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:45 pm

I have a three year old EP with a very strong prey drive, so far so good on birds( working on some points but over all pleased). Now the problem, let her out in the yard tonight and she ran a coon up a tree. She's done that before and I would bring her in before dispatching said coon(I have a soft-shell crab business and predators are a major problem). Tonight I just grabbed my shotgun and killed the coon, when it hit the ground my dog grabbed it and crunched it from neck to tail. She let go when there was no sign of life(whoa, give, pinching of ear and prying of jaw had no effect). My question is what kind of problem(s) might I have created here? She will run a deer or rabbit a little ways but will give up quickly and get back on track. Any input will be greatly appreciated..
Good whiskey,good dogs, no BS!

Winchey

Re: Did I mess up?

Post by Winchey » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:27 am

Probably not, it was one coon. Some versatile guys hunt fur with their dog all the time and still hunt birds effectively. Just don't do it anymore and you should be no more behind.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:56 am

acs,
Depends on what you mean by screw up, its not going to be all that bad but your dog will probably hunt coon as he hunts birds till you slowly teach him you don't want any more coon. Try not to shoot any more coon when your dog is out. Put him up before you deal with the vermin from now on. Go on with your training your dog should be just fine.
RGD/Dave

wes_gsp

Post by wes_gsp » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:33 pm

Try your best not to ever let him get in a fight with a coon. Not only can it get ugly, but It gets in there blood and whenever they smell coon...its game on.

asc

Post by asc » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:25 pm

Thanks, I will put her inside from now on. My biggest concern was this leading to crunching of birds. Thanks, Art..
Good whiskey,good dogs, no BS!