Best way to teach whoa?

xtrema2

Best way to teach whoa?

Post by xtrema2 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:52 pm

I got a 17 month old registered pointer given to me. He points and retrieves great,hunts hard, and comes when called fairly well. I'd really like to teach him whoa and was wondering the best way. He's pretty timid so I wanna be able to go easy on him. Thanks for your help.

AzDoggin

Re: Best way to teach whoa?

Post by AzDoggin » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:16 pm

xtrema2 wrote:I got a 17 month old registered pointer given to me. He points and retrieves great,hunts hard, and comes when called fairly well. I'd really like to teach him whoa and was wondering the best way. He's pretty timid so I wanna be able to go easy on him. Thanks for your help.
If he's timid, then lots of outings with lots of birds to get him some confidence before you start putting restrictions on him. That "Perfect Start" dvd addresses this very situation and might help you.

If he were mine, I'd just have fun with the dog for awhile - build a relationship with him based on trust and good times together before I started any formal training.

Of course the West/Gibbons folks would say "the bird (not the trainer) teaches whoa." :wink:

Good luck.

Pictures would help. :D

Edit: the search tool can be your friend, too. viewtopic.php?f=89&t=26508&p=241782&hilit=whoa#p241782 - this thread in particular has alot of great information.

There is ALOT of knowledge on this board. Sometimes you get a little bloody accessing it, but hang in there and you will learn alot.
Last edited by AzDoggin on Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xtrema2

Post by xtrema2 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:22 pm

Thanks, Plan on taking him out this weekend. might get some pictures on point if we find'em.

redman25

Post by redman25 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:26 am

+1 on the Perfect Start video. It's a very simple technique and it worked for me.

ranmcc

Post by ranmcc » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:51 am

If you need help in teaching whoa you probalby need help in all aspects of training a pointing dog. Get George Hickoxs video on training pointing dogs it covers all aspects. I got mine from Bass Pro and it is the best I have seen. I have looked at most of the training videos.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:15 am

For a soft dog, I recommend the Delmar Smith wonder lead(or it's poor man's equivalent a pigging string) and heel/whoa drills in the yard after the manner of Paul Long.

This is all done silently... no voice, no whistle...nothing.

Basically you set the dog up at your side, right by your knee, with the lead looped around the dog's neck...up high behind the ears. The lead should have almost no slack but the loop should be open with virtually no pressure on the dog. Then you step off, keeping the lead right where it was. If the dog steps off with you, and stays right by your knee, there is no pressure. If the dog lunges forward, or hangs back or moves to the side...the loop closes on its neck aplying pressure.

The typical drill is about thirty paces and stop. Repeat. Repeat, repeat.
After about 3 or 4 reps, put the dog away.

The first few times you do this, the dog will fight the lead. They learn, usually very quickly, if you are consistent with your hand placement and postition of the lead, that if they stay right by your knee, there is zero pressure. They learn that when you sotp...they stop and stand.

Once the dog is stopping and standing, you can introduce and overlay the upraised hand STOP sign. The frst few times you walk out front the dog will want to follow you. A quick pop of the lead will stop the dog. You will soon be dropping the lead in front of the dog, walking out front and simulating a flush and the dog will stand still.

Where you go from there is up to you and your specific needs.

The whoa post is also a good way to get a dog to stop on command, but it would be a good idea if the first dog you try it with is NOT a soft dog. You have to get the timing right with the whoa post method and it is best not to practice on a soft dog.

RayG

north country guy

Post by north country guy » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:47 pm

Ray Is Right On With That Post !!! That Heel / Whoa Works Great :lol:

xtrema2

Post by xtrema2 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:29 pm

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it