New 2 Trainning - Advice on Collar's

swbell

New 2 Trainning - Advice on Collar's

Post by swbell » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:28 pm

I've got a new dog to our home, 5 year old Brittany female. She knows her basic commands (sit, wait, heel, come) I walk with her at least 2x a day a few miles. I've done some reading and i'm curious about a training collar. Some say NO two pieces hooked together w/ a ring. I was also told that the two piece is better for them, so I'm looking for some input.

What about a pronged pinch collar? Used one with a Chessie I owned and it worked great to teach her how to walk on a lead w/o pulling and eventually to heel.

I'm really the like "the look" of a solid leather collar.

Would also like some thoughts (before i buy) on the Delmar Smith 6' Wonder (Command) Lead when training.

Trying to gather the equipment and a little knowledge so when the snow melts (when will winter end?) I can be out on the field with this great dog.

Thanks for the input.
-steve
There is no bad weather...just ill-prepared clothing!
-steve (SE MINN)

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: New 2 Trainning - Advice on Collar's

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:49 pm

Did the person you got your Brittany from Spend time with you as to what she already knows is she 5 with no training?

Need to know a little more info on the dog as at 5 years old if you are new to training and she has no field experience you would be better to seek someone close with some knowledge to find out where your dog is at if the place you got her from didn't spend any field time with you and your dog

The command lead is what I prefer as it helps to work on cues and control but as with any toll it is the hand that the tools are in which needs the knowledge how to work it or none will magically work
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

swbell

Post by swbell » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:03 pm

She had a little training early on and was in the field hunting early on. However, the PO explained to me she has not been in the field in over two years and has had little training over the past few years. It also has been that long since she has been shot over. She came with a generic two piece collar attached with a ring and then the buckle. I was also given the pronged pinch collar with her.

I'm in the process of making contacts with other Brittany owners in the area. Yes, I am new to training. It would be good to find a place for further assessment.

Right now she will walk with me and has a harness that I attach the lead to. This was also given to me. I've doubled the length of the lead and she'll walk in front of me with a little slack until she picks up a scent, then she wants to go! However, I can also "bump" the lead (slight tug) and ask her to heel and she'll continue to walk at heel as I remind her.

When we get back from a walk I leave her downstairs with lead and harness off, tell her to wait and she'll stay there, w/ me out-of-sight until I call her. I also make her sit & wait each time I feed her in the morning. I won't let her go to the bowl until I release her to do so w/ my voice "go get it".

I don't think huge amount of training is best at this point until I gain her trust and she'll come when called every time. Oh btw, she also went into heat a little over a week go :) ! She is looking for me when I come home. Follows me around and desires to be in the room I am in.

So my original question: Collar suggestions???

thanks,
-steve
-steve (SE MINN)

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:49 am

Collars are for different things. A full time wear collar with tags can be any type. Flat or rolled leather, nylon with snap or buckle. If you don't like tags for every days use get her micro chipped and use a flat nylon collar that is embroydered with name and phone number.
No use for the harness in my world. When training now that depends what kind of training your doing. Obedience you could use the prong if really needed or if a "pop" on her regular full time wear collar works use that. A lot depends on the temperament of this dog and how much correction the dog needs to get her to respond to your commands. Just DON"T over correct if she is a sensitive dog. Keep the correction mild with lots of praise when she does it right so she will build trust.

In my old school days of training I only used a chain choke collar for all my obedience work. I always took the regular collar off the dog when I put on the choke collar. I put the regular collar back on and took off the choke collar off when training was done.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:10 pm

Where are you located?

That could also help with some suggestions of people or places you can go seek further hands on assistance.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

swbell

Post by swbell » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:54 pm

SE Minnesota, Rochester.

there has to be a place I can update my info here and create a tag line at the end of my post, didn't see it.... I'll keep looking
-steve (SE MINN)

wes_gsp

Post by wes_gsp » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:03 pm

I like the collars with a O ring that is built in the center of the collar away from the buckle. not the kind with a D ring next to the buckle. (I think this is what you mean by "two piece") Get a leather one because that is what you like. I would recommend getting one from gundogsupply.com. If you buy a collar they put a personalized id tag on for free.

As far as "pronged" pinch collars and the wonder lead, I use both of them. The pinch collar I use for dogs that pull very aggressively. I use a wonder lead more than anything (except a plain old check cord). The wonder lead works well for "softer" more sensitive dogs that will pull with a regular collar and checkcord. I mainly use a pinch collar and wonder lead for teaching "heel". Proper use of these product is more important than design. You said in your first post that your dog already did this so what do you want to use these tools for?

I am located about 2 hours west from you and would be more that happy to evaluate your dog for you. look at my website to get contact info if interested

swbell

Post by swbell » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:07 am

Thanks wes_gps for the offer. Once the weather breaks I may take you up on your offer and head west. Right now I'm continuing to spend time with this Dog and she is really responding well for only having her for about four weeks. My first goal is to gain her trust and have the opportunity to take her off lead and know she'll come back when called. Then my daily walks with her down by the river will be great to watch her do what is naturally part of her dna, seeking scents and going after birds.

I'm also looking forward to working with her with the check cord in place. That is why I was asking the questions about collar.
-steve (SE MINN)

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:18 am

I prefer the 2 piece collar with the O ring. The O ring usually sits up on top and I can clip or unclip a lead to the O ring without fumbling around.

As far as a dog pulling, you can use a prong collar, pinch collar or wonder lead to correct that.

However, one of the simplest solutions to a dog that pulls...is to take the checkcord back along the top of the dog's back and then loop it aournd the dog's waist and under the cord on the top of the back, creating a half hitch around the dog's waist. A dog will not pull with this in place. I have seen seventy pound horseback field trial pointers that were bulging muscles from every part of their bodies...settle right down and walk quietly alongside their handler to the line when the hitch was in place.

You can also run the checkcord back through the O ring and create a "suitcase" handle. Very nice for control.

I completely agree that it ain't the tool that is most important The knowledge that guides the hand that wields it is what counts.

Read whatever you can in the way of training books. Watch whatever training videos you can get your hands on and most especially... look for an area training group to become a part of. Nothing puts a person on the steep part of the learning curve quicker than hands on instruction from a knowledgeable trainer.

RayG

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:08 am

One thing I would like to add: Once you have done the reading and viewing of information, Pick one system and stick to it. One you are comfortable with, you understand and uses the tools that you are comfortable with.

Also, I think it would be adviseable to go visit wes_gsp sooner than later as he could help direct your energy coming up to spring.

Enjoy the journey.
Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick