Under ground fencing & E-Collars

wes_gsp

Under ground fencing & E-Collars

Post by wes_gsp » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:36 am

I had worked with a dog this past year that I knew the owner used underground fencing. This dog progressed very well through yard work and obedience training. I conditioned this dog to the e-collar while I was still working her with a checkcord and she did great. took real well to it. But... once she was off lead she fell apart. I could tell she was really confused and almost nervous like when she was stimulated by the collar. The two of us were able to work through it however took longer then I feel it should have based on how well she learned up to this point. So I come up with the conclusion that the underground fencing could have been a root to her confusion and was wondering if others have had an experience similar to this?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Under ground fencing & E-Collars

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:50 am

It is not uncommon. We figure it has to do with the dog not having visible boundaries. It has received a correction for breaching a boundary in the past and when it receives a correction for a training response error, it doesn't associate the correction with its action, but with being in the wrong place.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:39 am

Wes_gsp,
I use the Petsafe yard fence with all my own dogs and clients also, being that dogs are mentally place sensitive, I eliminate the problem from the beginning by loading
the young dogs into my vehicle, removing the yard collars. Then driving outide of the fence area to another place on my peoperty, unloading the young dogs. The 1st time
the dogs are released for training I put them out for a frolic with one of my older trained dogs for a short run, this establishes for the young dogs a freedom mentallity,
away from the yard, it establishes a new mental freedom place. The training then proceeds from this new mental place, and the dogs progress at their normal
training rate. I use this replacement technique when both training and hunting, and so far it has worked every time.
RGD/Dave

wes_gsp

Post by wes_gsp » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:13 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:It is not uncommon. We figure it has to do with the dog not having visible boundaries. It has received a correction for breaching a boundary in the past and when it receives a correction for a training response error, it doesn't associate the correction with its action, but with being in the wrong place.
This is exactly how I look at it. In most cases I would guess the dog would have the underground fence collar on before an e collar to correct commands. The under ground fence collar is being used in a manner to "train" boundaries where as the e collar gets used to re-enforce commands the dog has previously been taught.

mudhunter

Post by mudhunter » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:22 pm

I have never seen an issue with this and all my dogs have been trained on the invisible fence.

I do have a problem with my Lab not wanting to enter snow goose spreads because the white rag decoys look like the white flags you use for training the dogs to the fence.

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:53 pm

mudhunter wrote:I have never seen an issue with this and all my dogs have been trained on the invisible fence.

I do have a problem with my Lab not wanting to enter snow goose spreads because the white rag decoys look like the white flags you use for training the dogs to the fence.
You obviously have seen a problem you just did not want to admit it. I have one of these fences . I was told by someone that their dog stopped in a field and would not move when it got to a big pine tree. After some thought they realized it was associating the tree with the tree in his yard on the fence boundary. This was enough for me to leave it in the box. It also saved me from digging the trench around my yard.

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:17 pm

There is a good article in the spring 2011 issue of upland almanac by Dave Hughes on this subject.

Soldaat

Post by Soldaat » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:39 pm

Is it possible to view this article somewhere on the internet?

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:17 pm

I dont think so Its a nice magazine with good articles though.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:17 am

Gentlemen,
Its not the training fence you need to worry about, its the Electric fences the PGC uses that can cause your dog to become scared of fences, once a dog takes a massive
shock form one of these Deer fences, the dog usually does not want to return to that hunting area, and is alot more aware of these type fences in general. I have a Gordon Setter that to this day will stand and look at a particular Grouse Covert but will not enter it as long as she sees the electric fence.
RGD/Dave