anyone in utah have quail??

Addict

anyone in utah have quail??

Post by Addict » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:57 pm

Looking for some quail to do some training with. Anyone around the slc area north that has any they can spare please let me know.

Addict

crittercontrol

Post by crittercontrol » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:22 pm

I am sure there will be some extra at the upcomming trial. you could pick up a few there.

you are comming right! :)

TAK

Post by TAK » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:29 pm

crittercontrol wrote:I am sure there will be some extra at the upcomming trial. you could pick up a few there.

you are comming right! :)
Don't count on it! Talked with Horn the other night and found out that his YEAR round supplier of day olds is going out of bussines!?
Horn said that he is working at finding another guy to get them.

I had to threaten his life to get me 50 so I can train for the Trial of Champions!

Sure wish you would start raising some!

Richard *UT*

Post by Richard *UT* » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:02 pm

There was an add on the GSPCU site in the classified section but it is no longer there. He was in lehi. I think he ran pointers. I never met him just his wife and she is as nice as the day is long. Let me check for numbers and I will let you know. I used the know of a guy in salt lake with chuckers but I have not talked to him since the spring. I will PM you his info as soon as I find it.
Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1618

crittercontrol

Post by crittercontrol » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:16 am

TAK wrote:Sure wish you would start raising some!
I have been thinkin of it! i have nearly all the facilities, but most need a renovation.

First time they have never had extras. :( Wonder about the old felter boy?

I know a guy out in Salt lake, but at 5 bucks a pop, Woowee! They better be gold plated!

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:21 am

Been having trouble getting them here in IL too. I guess that's because we had three weeks of excellent weather last month (except the bitter cold Hunt Test weekends) and went through about 75 per week.

The normal supplier has about 150 earmarked for us, but they're still too young.

I'm hoping to get my game bird breeder's permit this year and build a quail pen down at my grandfather's 40. He already gave me the ok to turn the whole tract into a dog training area last year but I never got around to doing it.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

crittercontrol

Post by crittercontrol » Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:49 pm

been pricing out some days olds and have found some at $0.50 and below. (for 100 or more)

The catch, they are only available after May.

Seems like I had a contact for a place in NM, but they have gone under. They sold them year-round.

Any of you AZ/NM/CA guys know of any breeders that sell day old chicks year round?

Here I go again, jackin a thread! :arrow:

Richard *UT*

Post by Richard *UT* » Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:09 pm

Addict, Check your PM. :)

Scott

Post by Scott » Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:42 pm

knine may know of someone to get day olds here in Arizona or may even have some?

There was a place in New Mexico Called Quail Co but I havent ordered from them.

Most of the folks I know buy day olds out of Texas. I have tried buying the dayolds but due to the mail system I have resorted to hatching my own. By the time we get day olds they are in bad shape and the majority die in a week or less. By hatching our own eggs we end up with 85% or so reaching maturity. From my experience raising quail is a tough job and takes a bit of time. You end up taking care of the chicks for at least 12 weeks before they fly really well.

crittercontrol

Post by crittercontrol » Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:45 pm

Scott wrote:knine may know of someone to get day olds here in Arizona or may even have some?

There was a place in New Mexico Called Quail Co but I havent ordered from them.

Most of the folks I know buy day olds out of Texas. I have tried buying the dayolds but due to the mail system I have resorted to hatching my own. By the time we get day olds they are in bad shape and the majority die in a week or less. By hatching our own eggs we end up with 85% or so reaching maturity. From my experience raising quail is a tough job and takes a bit of time. You end up taking care of the chicks for at least 12 weeks before they fly really well.
I have used quailco in the past but cannot find any info on them. The website is gone and the numbers are dead? They provided a quaility bird and a cheap price. Anybody know more?

i would love to get some birds out of TX, and I imagine they sell year round?

??

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:23 pm

i'd be surprised if they can get the birds to lay year round. I know they won't here.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Richard *UT*

Post by Richard *UT* » Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:55 pm

Critter. Good for you. If you need some free labor to help get your project off the ground, let me know.

crittercontrol

Post by crittercontrol » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:36 pm

ezzy333 wrote:i'd be surprised if they can get the birds to lay year round. I know they won't here.

Ezzy
I understand many of these large breeders are set-up indoors with UV lights on timers, etc. They get 'em to lay year round. However, they seem only to be "fooled" if the temps are still reasonably warm.

Cortunix Quail will lay year round, as will most chickens (layers and many meat varieties), and even some ducks (muscovies/and egg producing ones)

Some of these "fancy" bobwhites will lay year-round even up north. However, I imagine habitat (& light) control would be needed.

TAK

Post by TAK » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:57 pm

I sent Horn a e-mail asking him where we could find some day olds year round? I have noit heard back from him. I have tried my hand at the Quail in the past and did not have good luck. That is when I switched over to the Chukars and Pheasants. Pheasant were hard also but the Chukars were a dream. If you get them past 3 days they just explode from there.

CC I have not talked to Felter, but drive past his place every other day. It seems he has not got many birds in the flight pen. Plus it does not help when he has 4 or 5 dogs he is training also!
I am hounding a guy out this way to increase his numbers this year. One thing is I need folks like you and 12 and other Utah guys to commit to some birds.... in the past I have payed from $2 to 3.50 for his birds. Not the best birds but not the worst.
At one time he was trying to raise the JUMBO Bob Whites. I think the bad birds were half breed..... I could not get them to fly much out a launcher even.

TAK

Post by TAK » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:04 am

Geeze guys! Look at the sponsor of the site ^
Red Hill Quail farm!

Addict

Post by Addict » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:03 am

Tak,

I would commit to buying some. The biggest problem is finding a place to keep them all. I have pens I think for around 50 in individual cages. They won't be good fliers if they live in those though.

Addict