to send to the trainers or not to send to the trainers

sjkennels

to send to the trainers or not to send to the trainers

Post by sjkennels » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:00 pm

i cannot make up mind if i should send my dog to the trainers to get her finished up or to do it myself. i kinda want to send her to the trainers so it will be done right. and not take 5 months but will my dog respond to me like it will to the trainer since he is the one that trained it? i have done all the training up to this point all she needs is stop to flush, steady to wing and shot and backing . i have the land to do it and all i would have to get is some launchers and more pigeons and of course a ps/pf dvd for the steady to w&s and backing. i was wondering on what some of y'alls thoughts would be on it.
kick'em up knock'em down

MTO4Life

Re: to send to the trainers or not to send to the trainers

Post by MTO4Life » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:13 pm

I have sent both my dogs to the trainers and they always respond to me, no problem. Not sure if it is that way for all dogs, but it was for both of mine.

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:15 pm

Just my 2 cents.

I like to finish my dogs myself. In the past, I have sent dogs to the trainer in order to get them started and have found that the puppy has done well. But I have always finished off my dogs. Now, I like to take the time to train them all of the way through and guide them toward my style of hunting. Now, if I intend to field trial, I still go and fine tune the dog with the trainer as he has had more experience than I do in the trial game and I want to compete if I enter a trial. jmo
Good luck.

bossman

Post by bossman » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:20 pm

If you send it to the right trainer, your dog will absolutely respond to you. As a matter of fact, may respond to you better than if you did it yourself. A good trainer will spend a couple or even several hours with you when you pick the dog up to make sure you know how to handle the dog. Being in Kansas, several excellent trainers within a few hours drive. If you have any question at all on what to do, I would lean toward the professional. Gook luck

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:58 pm

To kind of support what bossman said, I think you need to spend as much time with the pro as you can. You need to understand his style and system. Try to choose a pro that is close to where you live. I think to have a successful training program, the pro needs to train you too :wink:

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:36 am

When a dog is sent to a trainer, it will only respond to you in the way it does the trainer it YOU take the time to work at the trainers several weekends with the dog so that you know exactly how that dog is trained and disciplined. If you give him different commands than the trainer has used, the dog will become confused.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:48 pm

If you have the time to work with your dog I would have a trainer show me how hands on and work something out. Maybe once a week demonstrate step by step including showing the product you are looking for in a finished dog. If you don't have the TIME... don't hesitate to send to a trainer who you have researched 100%.

My dog has been sent to a bad trainer and believe me it was not pretty. Seen him force fetch a 6 mo gsp. I seen my dog act funny one day and had to cut all contact with the individual. That's why I say do research... its cheap to buy broke dogs and say you have trained them and throw names around... just my .02. Call the people that trained your trainer and get as many references as possible and call them all. I was in a rush and had to get my dog back and send her to a trainer who knew what he was doing and make her happy to learn all over again.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:39 pm

I would consider Jon and Cindy Hann at Perfection Kennels in North Missouri - they do a bang-up job with people and their dogs. Plus they'll spend time with you to make sure you're getting what you want from the dog. They "tuned" up my Vizsla this year for me and we're starting his MH series this spring. He was a good dog before going to Jon, but he's totally steady now! I'm happy I sent him for the time I did - and now we're going to have a blast trying to pass these hunt tests this spring.

They also have a bunch of seminars coming up - maybe you could go that route and then see if the dog needed a month or two after that? You can send me a pm for the dates and locations (most are at their farm near Hamilton, MO).

jayhawkj

Post by jayhawkj » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:27 am

Here's a recommendation for you in Kansas, Chad Bloomer at www.bloomerkennels.com

Chad does a great job, and as someone who has used him in the past and will be using him on another dog this summer, I highly recommend him.

Jim J