The Wonder Lead

wad69

The Wonder Lead

Post by wad69 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:56 pm

Curious, how viable of a tool is the lead? Is it "essential" for smooth progession to the check cord?

Thoughts?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: The Wonder Lead

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:12 pm

Depends on if you use it like it is designed to be used. I love the command lead I do find it to be a very useful tool in helping a dog to tune in quicker and easier. But like with any tool and method they are only as good as the person who is trying to.use and apply them
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:21 pm

I read the article on it, seems like its pretty much the same as the choke chain (besides being a rope), am I missing something?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:31 pm

Yes there is a big difference as the choke chain doesn't hold its form like the command lead does. So you can get much lighter touches and quicker cues with the comand lead then you can with the choke chain and you can get a far better cue and release with less.motion again helping a dog to learn how to turn off stimulation when they are going through sulks and bulk
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:19 am

Successful use of a Wonder Lead depends entirely on the placement of the noose. It needs to be snug and resting at the base of the skull at the top of the Atlas vertebra. It relies on a pressure point, enabling the handler to manipulate the dog with a minimum of effort. It does not employ the pop and release correction of a slip choke. The best comparison would be to something like a Resco show lead. It really doesn't coincide with the point of contact created by a checkcord and buckle collar.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:29 am

Actually it should be high on the neck and light hands is the key and not snug. Go to the www.huntsmith.com under resources under articles there you will see how rick has the cmmand lead. If it is snug you defeat the proper use and purpose of he smith method of the command lead and that is light hands and quick cue and release. Sorry but I have hosted far to manny of Rocks seminars. Susan love Ronnie wife has done an awesome job of rewriting he basics for the foundation seminar I will ask ifi can have permission to post key parts of proper command lead from her paper.

JMc

Post by JMc » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:02 pm

Got my first one from Rick Smith at a seminar and haven't regreted it a bit; however, I now buy piggin strings at TSC, add a rubber grommet and out the door for 10 bucks.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:13 pm

Piggin string not quite the same it isn't at the same twist that Delmar created the command lead at..I tried different twisted and softness none have the same loop size and spring release that the command has...
in the words of Sharon Potter http://www.huntsmith.com/articles/TheCommandLead.htm
.......After the seminar, I headed straight for my kennel with this “Command Lead”. At the time I had a particularly opinionated young Chesapeake pup that could pull like a freight train when the mood struck her. I normally used a prong collar on her and had pretty low expectations for this chunk of rope being able to exert any control. Was I in for a surprise!

Within a matter of a couple of minutes, she was walking beside me politely and giving me her full and undivided attention---on a slack lead that I held with two fingers, as Rick had demonstrated. Further experimentation taught me that while the command lead may look a lot like a piggin string, there are some major differences. Yes, they’re both made of rope and they’re both short. The similarity stops there. The wonder lead is made of a specific diameter rope so as to fit in the correct spot on the dog’s neck, and the balance and stiffness is just right to give the proper effect. I now consider the command lead to be the most useful piece of dog training equipment I own.

-Sharon Potter
:wink:

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:48 pm

The command lead is an excellent tool for a low pressure introduction to yardwork. I use it for heel/whoa drills after the manner of Paul Long. In a very real way, the dog is almost totally responsible for just how much pressure it puts on itself. It never ceases to amaze me how quickly a dog will figure that out.

The springiness of the lead allows for instant fedback to the dog. If the dog pulls, the noose instantly tightens. The instant the dog does what it is supposed to, the noose opens and the pressure goes away. The less tstrenuously the dog pulls, the less pressure it puts on its own neck.

You simply cannot react as quickly or as appropriately to what sometimes is a subtle change... as that rope spring .

Oh I also use a 5/16" pigging string instead of the wonder lead. Might not be exactly the right tool, but it has worked well for me for less than half the price.

RayG

JMc

Post by JMc » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:07 pm

Good Tack stores will have piggin strings in different weights and twists...check around and save a little $.

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:40 pm

wad69 wrote:Curious, how viable of a tool is the lead? Is it "essential" for smooth progession to the check cord?

Thoughts?
To answer the original post.

I personally consider it a valuable tool.

I have never thought of it as being "essential' or a prerequisite to the check chord thou.

But I dont know everything.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

jhorak

Post by jhorak » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:31 pm

I've used my to teach heel and it's worked really well. The issue that I've had is that the rubber that keeps it in place stripped out on the inside very quickly and I now have trouble keeping the lead in the proper position. Anyone have a good solution for this?

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:54 pm

jhorak wrote:I've used my to teach heel and it's worked really well. The issue that I've had is that the rubber that keeps it in place stripped out on the inside very quickly and I now have trouble keeping the lead in the proper position. Anyone have a good solution for this?
Check cord and a pinch collar. Never had any trouble with the rubber keeper.

Coveyrise64
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:06 pm

I never use the rubber stopper. I would do changes in directions and truly get the dogs attenton with you. A good command lead will have proper shape and spring so when youblift up to begin a cue and your dog is where they should be the lead will move up in position.