Training for snakes

longarm

Training for snakes

Post by longarm » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:24 am

Lots of rattle snakes in certain parts of my state (Oregon). These happen to be parts I am very fond of travelling in. While I have never had a problem with the snakes and my dogs I would rather not experience the scenario of a snake-bit dog and me on a 5 day canoe trip with no roads out.
What training, if any, do those of you who are in snake country do with your dogs?

AzDoggin

Re: Training for snakes

Post by AzDoggin » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:47 pm

longarm wrote:Lots of rattle snakes in certain parts of my state (Oregon). These happen to be parts I am very fond of travelling in. While I have never had a problem with the snakes and my dogs I would rather not experience the scenario of a snake-bit dog and me on a 5 day canoe trip with no roads out.
What training, if any, do those of you who are in snake country do with your dogs?
Often, bird dog clubs sponsor "Snake Training Clinics" in regions in the spring when the snakes are coming out. Best thing to do is to find one of these - check through your breed club or NAVDHA chapter closest to you.

Put Snake Training in the search box in the top right of your screen and hit "search." I just did and had 113 hits. It's been discussed ALOT - there is more info there.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:10 pm

AzDoggin wrote:
longarm wrote:Lots of rattle snakes in certain parts of my state (Oregon). These happen to be parts I am very fond of travelling in. While I have never had a problem with the snakes and my dogs I would rather not experience the scenario of a snake-bit dog and me on a 5 day canoe trip with no roads out.
Often, bird dog clubs sponsor "Snake Training Clinics" in regions in the spring when the snakes are coming out. Best thing to do is to find one of these - check through your breed club or NAVDHA chapter closest to you.

Put Snake Training in the search box in the top right of your screen and hit "search." I just did and had 113 hits. It's been discussed ALOT - there is more info there.
Also, some Vets who are gundog enthusiasts will do one-on-one sessions in snake avoidance AKA snakeproofing. Again, you can usually find these people through local clubs who put on the clinic. Just contact them directly.
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

Reveille75

Post by Reveille75 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:18 pm

I have treated my dogs with an anti-venom serum manufactured by Red Rock Labs. You give the dog two injections thirty days apart with maximum effectiveness occurring 30 days after the second injection. I hope I never find out if the stuff really works but it isn't expensive and it makes me feel like I am doing something for my hunting buddy. I had a dog rattlesnake bit years ago and anything I can do to reduce the suffering associated with that, I want to do.
David

usmc4295

Post by usmc4295 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:58 pm

This is the answer to all snake problems down here in louisiana and yes we have lots of them,from water moccasins to rattlers to copper heads even coral snakes,water moccasin more than anything,word of advice don't use the judge if water moccasin lands between your knee's while paddling your pirogue down the bayou,just a little personal experience speaking there

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:22 pm

usmc4295 wrote:word of advice don't use the judge if water moccasin lands between your knee's while paddling your pirogue down the bayou,just a little personal experience speaking there
:lol: :lol: :lol: Guns good if you see the snake before the dog does but that won't usually happen.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

usmc4295

Post by usmc4295 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:40 pm

Yeah you right keep forgetting not everyone lives down here where everythings close quarters, so used to either hearin the rattler or smellin the mocasin and my dogs are usually close by not working hundreds of yards away in big wide open fields. But when there is a snake my dogs have all been pretty cautious on their own usually start jumpin around and creatin a whole heap of noise nothing like they should when working ducks. Tell ya what as much as I don't want to I'm gonna give the exwife a call and get her veterinarian expertise on this and get back with ya and she does a lot of cattle dog stuff so I'm sure she could lend some professional insight

A/C Guy

Post by A/C Guy » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:38 pm

longarm wrote:Lots of rattle snakes in certain parts of my state (Oregon). What training, if any, do those of you who are in snake country do with your dogs?
We use a rattler.
Tie it with a short string to a block so it can not get away.
Put e collar on highest setting. walk dog towards snake.
As soon as dog get a whiff of snake scent, ZAP!!
Run away from snake with dog for about 10 yards.

Repeat about 10 minutes later.

Verify the dog learned it's lesson the next day by trying to walk dog near snake (no e collar).
Dog should avoid snake like the plague.

If the lesson was learned, release snake back to the wild; or eat it.

Our dogs will not even get out of the Jeep if they catch scent of a snake when we are driving up to the hunting area. We have had to drive a few hundred yards farther in those incidents.
"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." John Quincy Adams.