Stakeout Question

mcclinj

Stakeout Question

Post by mcclinj » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:00 pm

I started putting my puppy on a stakeout chain tonight for short time periods. The chain is inside the house, attached to the baseboard with an eye bolt. Both times I have had her on it tonight, she has gone to the bathroom while on it, and I let her of to take her outside to finish up. Should I continue to put her on it in the house, or is she learning to get off the chain by going potty?

Thanks,
John

AzDoggin

Re: Stakeout Question

Post by AzDoggin » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:16 pm

Might be better if you can take her outside and walk her until she's empty before tethering her. She sounds like a pretty sharp young lady (unless it was a coincidence her bladder was full both times). Definitely don't want her thinking that peeing = freedom.

On the Huntsmith DVD, the Smith boys go out of sight after tethering pup, and let the pup work things out on their own. Might want to make sure you aren't within sight - she'll catch on in a hurry to the idea that you only attend to her and/or let her off the tether when she's calm and quiet. The Smiths want the dog standing quietly before they detach the tether. So if pup is laying down, they'll crowd the pup until s/he stands up and stands still before taking them off. The whole idea is that standing up still and calm is a desireable behavior and brings what pup wants. Some teach "whoa" at feeding time for the same reason. Don't know how young yours is - I wouldn't expect much from a baby.

Tall Boy

Post by Tall Boy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:59 pm

Yep, the best way around that is to only do it after she's gone to the bathroom, at least until she gets use to the tie out. Or put her food down by the tie-out, hook her up and let her start eating then take her outside when she's done, making her wait longer and longer periods of time before you take her outside.

Honestly, unless you plan to tie her up in the house I would forget about doing it inside. A lot of dog's empty out as soon as you put them on chain gang, or tie-out. I'd say 80% of my dogs do it as soon as I hook them up.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:28 pm

Tall Boy wrote: I'd say 80% of my dogs do it as soon as I hook them up.
Maybe because you just took them out of the trailer and then staked them?

mcclinj

Post by mcclinj » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:04 pm

Thanks guys,

She did much better yesterday. The first day, I slipped her leash through the eye bolt, and put her on ( I walked outta Lowes without "S" hooks for my chain). Yesterday I went and got the hooks and made an actual chain for her. She's only ever been on a leash to go potty. Is it possible the first time she associated that since her leash was on, she was supposed to potty? In any case, I'll put her on after going from now on.

-John

Tall Boy

Post by Tall Boy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:21 pm

slistoe wrote:
Tall Boy wrote: I'd say 80% of my dogs do it as soon as I hook them up.
Maybe because you just took them out of the trailer and then staked them?
Sometimes that's it I'm sure but I usually let them all out in the yard to empty out before we go to the woods. I think it's more excitement, than anything else.