"LBD's" or little brown dogs

dlfl

"LBD's" or little brown dogs

Post by dlfl » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:51 am

Yesterday Gage and I traveled to Thomasville Georgia to see some of the best boykins in the country. Nine Boykins qualified for the national retrieving competition this year. Four of them were there. We met some great people and better "LBD's" or little brown dogs.

I must admit I do not see getting into retrieving contest in the future but it was good to see people enjoying working their dogs and the dogs were more than ready to work. Just not something I am interested in. The equipment they were using to shoot the dummies/bumpers into the air was pretty neat. They had sound effects (duck, chucker,and pheasant if I remember right) that could be played before firing the bumper to help get the young dogs attention.

Gage does not travel well and looked like the worse candidate in the world for training to hunt. Phil Hinchman who owns Brandywine Creek Boykin Spaniels kennel in Indiana, home of WC NC SM LC Big Sky's Bessie Wayne, who won the 2007 BDC Top Gun World Champion title was there. He took me and Gage over to an area and we worked with some quail. He gave me some great advice on what to work on with the pup.

All the photos I took were soft focus, the camera had a finger print on the lenses! Here is the only one that could be used.

My five month old Gage
Dіck

AzDoggin

Re: "LBD's" or little brown dogs

Post by AzDoggin » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:33 am

Awesome looking dog and good stuff. I hadn't heard the "little brown dog" but I had heard the "little dog that doesn't rock the boat."

Very cool dogs. One is on my list to bring into my pack before I move up yonder.

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:52 pm

Beautiful dog good luck with him

goatkisser

Post by goatkisser » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:29 am

I've got two that live in the house, great dogs for a family.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:19 am

Wonderful little dogs! Saw one at Westminster this yr...Hope it is not their downfall!!!
brenda