BArking problem.

Brett D.

BArking problem.

Post by Brett D. » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:52 pm

I have one neighbor who keeps complaining that my dogs are waking her up every morning at 6:30 barking. I have tried bark collars but those only worked for a week and then they got use to them. I'm afraid her next call is going to be to the city animal control. The worst part of this is that her cats sitting in her windows seem to be what my dogs are barking at.
Can anyone give me some suggetstions to stop the barking?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:15 am

If nothing else crate them or shut them inside till you get up to take care of them. Since I am down to just two now they sleep in the basement in crates. Works well for us.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:37 am

I bet you did not try TriTronics Bark Eliminator. I have not seen many dogs get past them...
brenda

qballs

Post by qballs » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:12 am

I got one of the tritronics. My dog was garnering some complaints while I was away at work. The thing I like is it will count how many times he has barked. The first morning, I came home for lunch, and lost count at 53 barks. I turned it up to level 2.
The next day, I came home after work and again lost count at over 50 barks. Once again, I turned the collar up to level 3.
Third day, came home, 4 barks.
4th day - 0 barks!
I will see the odd bark once in a while, but am very satisfied with the collar.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:44 am

i have had very good success with that collar also. best of all, the barking has a tendency to feed on itself, so if you can stop it, you get a much calmer dog.

Casper

Post by Casper » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:27 am

suppose you could get a Rooster :lol: that might satisfy her with a 5 am wake up call :lol:

Just trying to make a funny out of your situation. I hate living in suberbia for those exact reasons. Neighbors :!: :roll:

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:31 am

i got outta there too, just for that reason. we had a neighbor kid steal some jewelry. we called her parents. they threatened to call the police and say our dog was barking, if we did anything about the kid. that was enough for me.

Allister Fiend

Post by Allister Fiend » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:10 am

I want to take the stance of the complaining neighbor for a moment. We are currently having problems with our neighbors dogs barking all night long. He has their pen well away from his house, but only 15 feet from our bedroom window. The dogs seem to be calm during the day, but at night, they bark at nothing all through the night. I get no sleep. Now, I'm currently not complaining as I do not want to make my neighbor mad, but I am about to go insane and I need to confront this problem ASAP. It is out of control. This is a guy that will not spend any money on these dogs, so I can assume he would never purchase a bark collar. The smell coming out of their pen is terrible. I can smell it some days as soon as I open my front door. They are nice enough neighbors and I have to live by them so I need some advice on how to handle this situation. I'm at the point now that I just yell SHUTUP! at the top of my lungs through the night trying to make them stop barking. I'm sure he has heard me at some point, yet he does nothing. I need to add that these people are dog collectors. They have about 10 chihuahuas living in the house and that number grows all the time, and these 2 muts outside. From time to time, one of the muts is replaced with a new mut, but there is always 2 and they always bark. Sorry to go on so long, but I wanted to spell out the entire situation

Mntngoat

Post by Mntngoat » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:40 am

Allister, where we live, In the city unfortuately, we are limited to 4 dogs before a kennel license is required. Maybe a call to your animal control department will garner a visit to the owner. It's a shame to see or smell dogs living in those conditions.

Michael

Allister Fiend

Post by Allister Fiend » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:03 pm

I wish that would do some good, but our animal control could care less. We live in a small town in South Alabama. We have called the animal control before for strays roaming the streets and the fat animal control officer is so lazy that if the dog won't come to him, he just says forget it. It's a bad situation. In fact, my wife and I may end up putting our house up for sale for this reason. I need to move back out in the country and build. But in the meantime, I guess the only thing I can do is go ahead and strain the relationship or else I'm never going to get any sleep. I'm not going to go out and buy bark collars for the guy. One night I got so mad I almost took my ecollar out and put it on one of the dogs. I was going to hit him with full power everytime I heard him bark. My wife calmed me down and kept me from going to jail.

Addict

Post by Addict » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:01 pm

I will also have to give the bark eliminator from TT two big thumbs up. Worked well for my three dogs.

Addict

Margaret

Post by Margaret » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:19 pm

Allister Fiend wrote:I wish that would do some good, but our animal control could care less. We live in a small town in South Alabama. We have called the animal control before for strays roaming the streets and the fat animal control officer is so lazy that if the dog won't come to him, he just says forget it. .
If the dogs are living in filth and there is smell, and probably the dogs are not exercised you could try your council health dept
and/or your local SPCA/Humane society.

Allister Fiend

Post by Allister Fiend » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:39 pm

Yes, but again, I'm trying to keep the peace with my neighbors the best that I can. I do have to live next to them. I was just hoping someone had a good suggestion as to how to deal with them in a positive way. Do I just go next door and say, "You need to make your dogs shutup!"????

Brett D.

Post by Brett D. » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:35 pm

I forgot to mention that they start barking after I leave for work at 5-5:30 am. Shes gone to school by 8 am. So I can't leve them in a crate all day. I'll look in to the tri tronics collar. What do they retail for?
I plan on building a dog run for them soon. This week I have been putting them in the garage for 3 hours until my wife got home from work at 8am. But next week she's back on days and will leave for work right after me.
Casper, the neighbor directly behind me has a rooster but for some reason that thing won't make a peep. I should shoot it and hope he buys another one.
I hope to move somewhere a little more rural in a year. But San Diego Real Estate is out of control. Funny thing is that I have 2 neighbors that are closer than the one that is complaining and they don't hear a thing.

Addict

Post by Addict » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:25 pm

Brett,

The bark collar goes for $100. It's the best investment you can make to stay in you neighbors good graces.

Addict

Richard *UT*

Post by Richard *UT* » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:33 pm

I would just go talk to them. Just be nice about it, You know, I am sorry to bring this up but... Most people do just fine with that kind of talk and are happy to make things right.
Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1618

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:27 pm

Richard *UT* wrote:I would just go talk to them. Just be nice about it, You know, I am sorry to bring this up but... Most people do just fine with that kind of talk and are happy to make things right.
Truer words could not be said. We're fast to jump on someone's case these days (myself not excluded). There may be a legitimate reason the guy doesn't do something about his dogs. Maybe he's a very heavy sleeper and doesn't hear them himself. Whatever it is, I'd address it nicely and give him an opportunity to solve the problem civilly. If confronted in a civil manner, problems are more likely to get resolved in a civil manner.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

Allister Fiend

Post by Allister Fiend » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:08 pm

Thanks, I'll do that. I'm just not one for confrontation with neighbors so it will be difficult. I'm sure the guy will be nice to my face, but you want stay in good graces with your neighbors just in case you ever need them. I don't guess there is an easy way to tell somone their dogs are noisy and their kennel is smelly. :roll:

Margaret

Post by Margaret » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:19 pm

By bandaids first, you know...just in case 8)

Allister Fiend

Post by Allister Fiend » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:33 pm

That won't be necessary. I make two of him. That's why I said he would probably be nice to my face. We have really bad neighbors and they are about the only ones that communicate at all. Ahh, forget it. I've got to sleep. If he gets mad, too bad. No one should have to put up with barking dogs right outside their window every night.

On a side note, I have complained once before and a few days later he woke up and found one of his dogs laying in the kennel dead. Obviously I had nothing to do with it, but I always figured he thought I did it because he said he had no idea how the dog died. That is a big part in why I have been so hesitant to say something again.

mrsb73122

BArking problem.

Post by mrsb73122 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:05 am

One time we had a problem with our neighbor's dog barking at us all the time which is a little different than what you have. But one day my husband took a five gallon bucket of water out and when the dog started barking he threw it on him. It surprised him so much that he quit barking after that.

Our sheltie can be really annoying and since I'm home during the day, I just bring him inside. Also, both of our dogs sleep inside at night just for this reason -- to keep peace with the neighbors.
Sharon B.