Dog Punishment Help

Georgia Hunter

Dog Punishment Help

Post by Georgia Hunter » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:10 pm

My dog isnt a hunting dog right now and he is just a little over a year old. We have another dog that is 15 and she is a little slow cause she is so old. Sometimes the younger dog will pick on her and she cant do anything. When I go out to get him to stop he stays out of reach of me cause he knows he did something wrong. He also jumps on our back door some. I have got him to stop alot of it but occasionally he still does it and the same thing I go out to get him to stop and he stays out of reach. He definately knows the difference of me coming out the back door to tell him to hush and when he picks on the older dog. He will come up to me when I tell him to stop barking at the neighbors and their dogs. Now I dont beat my dog but I will pop him on the rear or sometimes give him a little pop on the nose. He isnt scared or afraid of me if I put my hand out and stuff so I know hes not scared of me. Its just when he knows he does something wrong he stays away. How can I fix this? Would an e collar help with correcting these things he does? I know the e collar wouldnt be a punishment but like if he jumps on the door give him a little shock or when he starts to pick on the other dog give him a little shock. Would that work?

kensfishing

Re: Dog Punishment Help

Post by kensfishing » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:36 pm

It's called being a young dog. Just like a kid trying your patience.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:38 pm

You don't have to punish him, you have to train him. Thoroughly train him on obedience until he's flawless. Your problems will disappear.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:13 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:You don't have to punish him, you have to train him. Thoroughly train him on obedience until he's flawless. Your problems will disappear.
Yep - which includes teaching...and rewarding...and repetition under varying circumstances...and finally correcting (punishing) once it is crystal clear you know that he has learned the correct behavior, but just won't do it consistently.

BillGraves

Post by BillGraves » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:45 pm

I have taped mouse traps on the back door of the house and haven't had any trouble since. One or two snaps on the paw will teach him not to put paws on the door really quick. :wink:

Bill

PointingQuail

Post by PointingQuail » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:33 pm

BillGraves wrote:I have taped mouse traps on the back door of the house and haven't had any trouble since. One or two snaps on the paw will teach him not to put paws on the door really quick. :wink:

Bill
Wow...That didn't break his paws?

Georgia Hunter

Post by Georgia Hunter » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:14 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:You don't have to punish him, you have to train him. Thoroughly train him on obedience until he's flawless. Your problems will disappear.
I guess this is more what I meant when I said punish. Get him to a point where he stops and obeys 100% of the time. Dont get me wrong he's a great dog and obeys alot but a few times he wont listen, its just little things that need fixing

Would an e collar help in my situation with training for when he stays out of reach from me? I mean I dont want to let him get away with disobeying but I just cant get to him to tell him no. There have been just a few times where I open the door and say no and he stops. But I can probly count the number of times that has happened on less than 10 fingers

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:26 pm

AN e collar on some stuff can help but you still have to make sure the dog knows commands before the e collar will be effective
Biggest thing is be consistent
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:57 am

Maybe put a lead that he can drag around, that way when you go out to correct him you can step on it to catch him. Also, at a year old, IMO, it's time to teach here (nicely, with treats and such) then reenforce with an e-collar, you go out there and command here, if he gives you that look you can correct him. Don't punish him for other things after you command here and he obeys, might cause confusion.

BillGraves

Post by BillGraves » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:46 am

PointingQuail wrote:
BillGraves wrote:I have taped mouse traps on the back door of the house and haven't had any trouble since. One or two snaps on the paw will teach him not to put paws on the door really quick. :wink:

Bill
To be honest, I'm not sure if he got snapped or not. The trap has been tripped 2-3 times only. Maybe the sound was enough to startle him into not doing it again.

Bill

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:31 am

PointingQuail wrote:

Bill

:D He said "mouse trap" not "bear trap."

Put your finger in one and see - the motion and the sound are the scary thing - certainly not the force.

I knew an old boy years ago whose hound dog was peeing on the screen on his back door. The old guy ran a wire from an old telephone generator, waited until the dog was about to pee on the door again, and started cranking on the generator. Needless to say, the habit was broken instantly.

Modi

Post by Modi » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:23 am

Hi, I am brand new on this forum and no expert, but this really sounds to me like a cry for attention/exercise. Everyone who has posted here is right about the training, and then the enforcement with the collar. However, it sounds like he already knows what you want (since he knows to stay away when you come out). I wonder if he may be jumping on the old dog to get him/her to play (attention) and jumping on the door to get you up and to come out and maybe even chase him. Try getting out with him and taking him for a walk/run/swim and get some of that energy out of him. Of course you want to do this BEFORE he jumps on the door or dog or you'd be rewarding the bad behaviour. If you teach/train him not to jump on the dog or the door, that displacement behavior will just pop up somewhere else and you will end up changing problems rather than solving them.

Just a thought, would love to hear some more opinions as I am expecting another new pup in a week or so and I suspect I will be having some similar issues soon.

Tall Boy

Post by Tall Boy » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:39 pm

If you can catch him jumping on the older dog grab him by the jowls and scream ENOUGH in his face. Or you could take him to the park and turn him loose, freedom is the key...most of your problems will disapear.

helpful_cub

Post by helpful_cub » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:43 pm

I had some similar issues with my new dog, he's about the same age as yours. He didn't really know manners or most commands when he came to my home. I discovered that if I just worked with him everyday at least 2 hours and get him to exercise that he's much more behaved and willing to listen to me. We started with simple stuff like only having one meal time in the evening and offering food rewards during training before dinner time. Another one was taking him for a walks around the gated fence, or throwing the ball a few times (treat when he brings it back). Basically just make it a big game for him and he'll want to do what ever it takes to keep you happy and playing with him. Work on "come" with a lead, let him know its alright to be with you. Never punish him if he comes when you call, he won't understand. After that you can work on "stay", its handy for later. Just keep working with him, some things he'll naturally figure out and other things will take time to build up like being able to stay for a couple of minutes. Think of some of near term training you can do with him and when he gets bored, switch it up again and rotate to the next thing. Your old experienced dog could actually help you with some of this stuff because she can be an example on how to execute a command to quickly earn a treat.

Today for example, I took my boy out to run in the desert and sniff for birds. He pointed some, we did whistle commands and hand signals. On the walk home we worked on leash training. All of that exercise made him tired and hungry enough that we got through our forced fetch routine fairly quickly because he wanted rewards and didn't need any forcing. Training is about working with little blocks and building them up.

Georgia Hunter

Post by Georgia Hunter » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:37 am

Thanks for the info yall. I normally go through the ball with him for about an hour a few times a week in the back yard. We work on some commands while doing it. Ive also been bringing them in at night since winter (just figured they might like to stay inside where its always warm and dry) and after he gets done eating we will play and do some more work. I may start taking him on walks soon (couldnt before cause of injury)

I would love to use the older dog as an example but she cant really hear to good and i think her eyes may be going to. I figure if shes been around for 15 years shes earned the right to be lazy and not do much. Oh and she cant get around as good as she used to