NEW PUP

MARSHALL COGBURN

NEW PUP

Post by MARSHALL COGBURN » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:39 am

I just got a new puppy three weeks ago. I have been following the water dog book by Richard Wolters. I have been enforcing the basics and doing the 15 minute per day regiment pretty well so far. I have been anxiuos to get the pup out of the hause but he hasnt has all his shots yet and parvo is very ramped where i live so i dont want to risk it. Again this will be the first dog I have trained for hunting. He has been slow to learning his name and coming to the "here" command. I was hoping to get some advice for this. I am very exited and almost nervous because i dont want to mess up in training him. I have a history of not having much patience and this is a big test for me. Any advice for training a new gun dog would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Redfishkilla

Re: NEW PUP

Post by Redfishkilla » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:04 am

Chill out, you didn't say how old he was (or what breed) but, in general, the first few months should be spent making pup bold and happy. If you train too much too early you might not have an independent dog, and IMO, independent dogs make better hunters.

Also, one or two "heres" a day with a treat reward is all I would be doing if pup is young. Take him somewhere without parvo and let him run and explore. Good luck. Post a picture, people like pictures.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:29 am

I have a history of not having much patience and this is a big test for me
Look at this as an opportunity to gain patience. This dog will teach you lots, I know mine has. :)

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:33 am

Try to get him out as much as you safely can. I know his full series of shots won't be complete until he is 4 months old, but you'll want to get him out before that. Find areas that aren't frequented by dogs....church fields, some ball fields, conservation areas - even if it's a drive for you. This is a critical time in his development and the more you can expose him to in a positive way, the better off he'll be in the long run. That said, do not take chances with Parvo and be sure he is interacting with other dogs that are clean.

Great handle name. My dog's name is Rooster Cogburn.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:09 am

MARSHALL COGBURN wrote:I just got a new puppy three weeks ago. I have been following the water dog book by Richard Wolters. I have been enforcing the basics and doing the 15 minute per day regiment pretty well so far. I have been anxiuos to get the pup out of the hause but he hasnt has all his shots yet and parvo is very ramped where i live so i dont want to risk it. Again this will be the first dog I have trained for hunting. He has been slow to learning his name and coming to the "here" command. I was hoping to get some advice for this. I am very exited and almost nervous because i dont want to mess up in training him. I have a history of not having much patience and this is a big test for me. Any advice for training a new gun dog would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Hi, let me start by saying if this is your first dog you are training..you WILL "mess him up" :D but he will be patient with you and let you make mistakes just as you will be patient and allow him to make some too..nobody learns unless they make mistakes..just be consistant, as patient as can be and you will see the rewards of your lessons pay off in the field..if you are not patient you cannot teach, so sit back and take a deep breath when you get frustrated..do not continue training that day if you get to a point you are frustrated and hacking at the pup.. try to end each lesson on a positive note so he is eager to learn from you because you are so smart and fun :wink: ..good luck.....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Modi

Post by Modi » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:53 pm

I agree with the other posters. You will make mistakes, but don't worry, you won't ruin him (unless you are abusive and if you are looking for advice here, you probably aren't). My first dog taught me more than I taught him. don't get stressed and enjoy the process.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:56 am

I would throw that Wolters book away and look on this Forum for a good read....If that pup has not had all shots yet then you might be overdoing stuff...Let him grow up and be a puppy...Come is about all that is important and I do not worry about that til 5-6 mo....
brenda