Introducing Puppy to Boat

cpinkert

Introducing Puppy to Boat

Post by cpinkert » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:29 am

Folks,

I'm thinking ahead a little this morning and am wondering how people have introduced their dogs to their boats. I spend a lot of time on the water during the summer and would love to be able to take the pooch with when I go fishing. I'm thinking put the motor on water muffs and fire it up in the driveway so Jemma (my pup) can get used to the noise of the engine. Then I'm thinking take her out for a boat ride on a nice day without any fishing to let her get accustomed to it, probably start going slow and see how she reacts, ending the trip if she is afraid or whatever. She doesn't seem to have any problem with loud noises so far. If they startle her she jumps a little but then turns around to see what it was and comes to investigate. Anyway, I would then gradually increase the length of time she is in the boat and how fast I go and how much I run around the lake until she gets comfortable with it. I have a bass boat and intend to make a spot for her at my feet under the console where she'll lay while the boat is motoring or when I need her to stay in one place. I intend on training her to go to that spot with the kennel command. Seem like a good plan of attack?

My next question relates to the type of fishing I like to do. I primarily fish muskies during the summer and am wondering how to train a dog not to jump in the water to chase lures, particularly topwater lures that will grab her attention. Any ideas?

Thanks

Iowa

Re: Introducing Puppy to Boat

Post by Iowa » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:06 am

My dogs are on the boat with me all summer. Your plan of attack sounds about right. Just keep an eye on their attitude and if its to much for one trip cut it short and try again. I keep life jackets on my dogs since I boat a lot of the Mississippi. I've had to many accidents out there and feel a little better when they are in them. We also anchor in coves a lot on the lakes and the dogs love to cruise around with their jackets on.

As far as chasing the lures I cant help to much. I dont fish a lot of my boat but when I do it seems they are move interested in chasing dragon flys.

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:11 pm

Any thing you want to introduce your dog to should always have a positive association. If the dog associates getting on the boat with a treat it will gladly climb int o the boat. If the dog associates the boat with the engine first and the engine scares the dog it will not want to go near the boat. I would err on the side of caution and build a good association first maybe put a pigeon in the boat for the dog to find. Once the good association is established the water and motor are less likely to bother the dog. My dog runs to the truck when i tell him to kennel up , one day he would not go near it and i could not understand why . It was cold out and I realized I had never warmed it up before going out with him , so it had never been running when he jumped in.

cpinkert

Post by cpinkert » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:22 am

Put a pigeon in my boat?!? Not a chance I'm putting one of those poop machines in there! I like the idea of introducing her to the boat in a positive way without the motor running, though! Thanks!

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:32 am

I think everyone is over thinking this, when you start them young and introduce them to everything they learn quickly. I understand the slow intro to gun fire. For trucks, boats, tractors etc.., I thrown him in like everything else and never had a problem. I don't believe it takes a 12 step program for everything.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:34 pm

nikegundog wrote:I think everyone is over thinking this, when you start them young and introduce them to everything they learn quickly. I understand the slow intro to gun fire. For trucks, boats, tractors etc.., I thrown him in like everything else and never had a problem. I don't believe it takes a 12 step program for everything.
+1. Just take'm with you and have fun. Don't coddle them if they seem to react to something - just go about your business. Most pups are so adaptable it's amazing. These are just more great opportunities to build your bond with the pup and continue to work on social habits you want. You could put her in the boat with you in the driveway and just hang out for awhile. A time or two with that and she'll be ready to take it on the water. She'll have a blast.

I wouldn't run that boat on the muffs around a young pup. Outboards are ALOT quieter in the water than they are out of the water (at least my Evinrude is). Mine sounds like a motocross bike with straight pipes out of the water.

SeniorCoot

Post by SeniorCoot » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:02 am

My pups are with me a lot and so in weonter I will put him in boat whilst I work in shop-I let him smell etc than later on i start motor out side and let it run then watch him go to boat etc- in sopring i take all dogs fishing and they love it- had problem with one trying to retrieve not lures but fish on line so worked weith him a bit and all is ok-all dogs seem to love water(esp labs) and boats with quick intro.

cpinkert

Post by cpinkert » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:21 am

Overthinking, maybe, but I'm a planner and like to stay ahead of problems. Like I said, this is my first pup and I fish a LOT during the summer. I'd be pretty bummed if she didn't take to the boat well.

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:14 pm

One other thought , If you do the wing on a pole thing with your dog dont use a fishing pole.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:04 pm

4dabirds wrote:One other thought , If you do the wing on a pole thing with your dog dont use a fishing pole.
If you're a fisherman, it's an argument to me to forego the pole altogether for prey games. They don't need 'em anyway -use birds.

Obviously, you just have to be aware of where your lures are and your dog is at all times. My dogs always respond to a sharp "eh" or "no" so if they ever attempt to move a muscle toward a lure or a fish, they get an "eh," and it stops them in their tracks. Those early fish caught are dog training experiences, so if you can keep from getting too excited over a fish, keep your eye on your dog just to make sure she's in her spot. With a young dog, be sure to praise her and even treat her for showing restraint and calm behavior in the boat. Just being with you likely makes it worth her while, but it will help a pup if she knows when she's doing well, and knows when she is crossing your limits.

All in all, I think it's great you want to include her. I can't think of too many better fishing partners than my dog, and every trip brings opportunities for new experiences for your dog, more socialization, etc.. It's all good.

cpinkert

Post by cpinkert » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:27 am

Thanks for the advice AZ! I'm a musky fisherman mostly, wonder what the pup will say when I catch a fish that is twice or three times her size! :lol:

C.painter

Post by C.painter » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:42 am

Chris you can't catch muskies anyways :-)

Funny to see a fellow Muskie Nut over here talking dogs :-)

Cory