GSP pup on the way, Pit Bull in the house!

recon033

GSP pup on the way, Pit Bull in the house!

Post by recon033 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:10 pm

Hey all first post so bear with me if this has been discussed. I am getting a GSP in May. I am living with a good friend in a 2 story house with 2 acres and a pond. They have a two year old pit bull rescue named Athena. She is a very good dog and gets along with any dog she meets. The problem is she goes and goes and goes. There is no way I will be able to keep them apart at all times and that is ok with me. However, what kind of things should I do so my dog does not pick up on habits Athena has, especially when it is time to be in the field? How do I let the two dogs be friends and have play time but at the same time be able to separate play time from hunting time. I want my dog and Athena live together and have fun but I want to be able to still have the business side of hunting with my dog and have it not see other dogs in the field and associate that with the behavior it could pick up from Athena and playing?

I hope that makes sense it took a while for me to be able to word that. Please bear with me and any info is appreciated.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: GSP pup on the way, Pit Bull in the house!

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:15 pm

Don't see a problem if they share play time but when it comes work time for you puppy put Althena away in the kennel and work you pup by itself. Shouldn't be a problem. But remember there is littlle training done in the first 6 to 9 months other than teaching the pup the manners you require to live in the house with your family.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:26 pm

I agree with Ezzy. I'll have a similar scenario once I bring my pup into our existing pack that includes a very, very playful and active border collie mix.

One thing you might consider is including the pit in some of the training, such as chain gang work and basic obedience work such as heel. I have also read that you can crate your pup an hour or so before you train to increase pup's motivation to get out and work for you. Finally, once pup is mature enough, long walks with both dogs will continue to cement your spot as pack leader, and the dog's places further down the pack. You want pup looking to you for leadership, not so much to your other dog for leadership.

Obviously, supervise the dogs at play especially when pup is younger. Pup needs rest time too. Sometimes dogs with ultra high play drive need boundaries and limitations with younger and/or smaller play buddies. It sounds like your pit is a cool dog and will respond to your direction. You'll probably want to develop some command to get the pit to ease off when she gets too ramped up with the younger smaller dog. I use "eassssssy" but whatever works for you. Given your present good relationship with the pit, it should be no problem to teach her to be aware of pups play/activity needs. You may want to increase the pit's exercise with some long runs or bike rides while the pup is smaller to bring her drive down a notch or two when playing with the baby, also.

Good luck.

recon033

Post by recon033 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:09 pm

Thank you guys for the reply. I just want to make sure I can do this right. Athena has a big desire to please us so when she does get to rough a simple HEY is enough to get her to stop. I should probably try and use another word for that though. As for Athena she does not have a kennel or a crate, she was a rescue and it took a long time to get her to where she is now. So pretty much she is in the house all the time, she does go outside a lot though.
With that I will be crating my dog, but I think I need to do that in my bedroom. I think it would cause problems if I put my dog in the crate and he saw Athena still free about the house. Also when I am out trying to work with my dog Athena will be back in the house as well.

I just want to make sure I get this right and do not screw up either dog. Dogs have always been a big part of my life and now that I am FINALLY getting a new pup after a while without one (I actually have a chocolate lab that is 8 years old, but long story short being in the military my parents took him in for 3 years worth of deployments and they fell in love. He is such a happy dog and I cant bring myself to take him out of their house at this point. Plus he is only 10 minutes away) But if anyone has any other tips they are welcome!
THANKS!

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:24 am

I think you're on the right track with crating him separately in your own room. New dogs should never be left alone with one another - but I think you've got that covered. I foster a lot and won't foster a pit because I have 10 of my own dogs... not all pits are horrible, but they were originally bred to be dog aggressive and to kill other dogs, not fight - but kill. So as sweet as this dog may be, if she has the genetics, they might manifest sometime. Just be aware. I like pits and would likely own one if I didn't have other dogs, but because I do, I won't own or foster one.

I would work to make sure that YOU are the center of the puppies' life. NOT the other dog or your roommate. Your pup needs way more together time with you than with the other dog... like 90% with you and 10% of his time with the other dog.

If you haven't picked sex out, I'd shoot for a male, as there can be some serious issues with two females in the house.

Good luck and be sure to post pictures!

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:47 am

Relax, it is in the genes, once your dog figures out what birds are he will not give other dogs the time of day when he is out in the field.

recon033

Post by recon033 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:23 am

I did decide on getting a male. I agree completely that it is in her genes as sweet as she is. When the dogs are together there will be constant supervision. That is one thing I am worried about is her just having one snap. Other than this issue I just have to figure out a plan for what to do with the pup while I am at work. I might drop him off at my parents house and have my mom come home on her breaks a couple times a day to let him out and check on him. Still have to work a plan for that, but I have until mid May.

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:45 am

It is a good idrea to supervise things but again, relax. There will be minor incidents to be sure. Try not to baby to much just because he gets pounded a little bit. In fact don't baby at all when your dog gets beat up on. Ignore him and act like everything is fine if he comes running to you cause he got the short end of the stick again. Not to say you can't dicipline dogs for fighting, just don't baby him for being insecure.

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:37 am

RoostersMom wrote:I think you're on the right track with crating him separately in your own room. New dogs should never be left alone with one another - but I think you've got that covered. I foster a lot and won't foster a pit because I have 10 of my own dogs... not all pits are horrible, but they were originally bred to be dog aggressive and to kill other dogs, not fight - but kill. So as sweet as this dog may be, if she has the genetics, they might manifest sometime. Just be aware. I like pits and would likely own one if I didn't have other dogs, but because I do, I won't own or foster one.

I would work to make sure that YOU are the center of the puppies' life. NOT the other dog or your roommate. Your pup needs way more together time with you than with the other dog... like 90% with you and 10% of his time with the other dog.

If you haven't picked sex out, I'd shoot for a male, as there can be some serious issues with two females in the house.

Good luck and be sure to post pictures!
Do you mean Pits were bred to be aggressive from the start? If that's what you're talking about you're wrong. They were bred in Enland for nanny dogs to take care of kids and take down cattle and hogs. They have no natural dog aggression. The idiots in the states are the ones that make them that way. Owned way too many of them and rescued one that wouldn't fight. He finally died last year at 14.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:37 am

From what I understand, in America, they were bred to fight. From a Staffordshire Terrier site: "After dog fighting was banned in the United States in 1900, two strains of these dogs were developed, a show strain and a fighting dog strain. The show strain was labeled the American Staffordshire, while the fighting dog strain was labeled the American Pit Bull Terrier."

Some interesting stuff out there about the origin of the "fighting" pit bulls: "In 1898 the United Kennel Club was formed with the express intent of providing registration and fighting guidelines for the now officially-named American Pit Bull Terrier. Later, those who wished to distance themselves from the fighting aspect of the breed petitioned the American Kennel Club for recognition of the Pit Bull so that it would be eligible for dog shows and other performance events. The AKC conceded in 1936 but only under the stipulation that the dogs registered with them be called "Staffordshire Terriers", the name of the province in England the breed supposedly originated in."

I don't hate the pits, but I do understand that since the 1900's they have been bred to fight other dogs and I wouldn't have one with the many dogs I own and all the fosters coming through my place.

44magnum

Post by 44magnum » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:14 am

I had a dog that liked to play and a puppy that I was training to work cows. The two would play like crazy all day long but if they did it in the house I just said " not in the house " and they would stop. If we were outside and I needed him to work cows I'd just say "let's work " and he was all business until the job was done. I think as long as your pup has a lot of drive and a desire to please you that you won't have any issues.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:58 am

Pit bulls, and all of the bully breeds, for that matter, are sharp bred at some point. I've dealt with hundreds over the years and I would say that while they may not be demonstratively aggressive, they are capable of inflicting major damage, even in play. The same can be said for most medium to larger dogs. Keep 'em separated when not supervised and you'll be fine.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

recon033

Post by recon033 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:06 pm

Just an update, They have been BEST friends since day one!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:10 pm

Great looking pup - and they look like they're getting along fine!

recon033

Post by recon033 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:25 pm

Thank you, and they are great together. Monkey see monkey do, they follow each other everywhere, and just play and play and play and play. It has been a big relief that she took onto him so fast!

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:18 pm

recon033 wrote:Thank you, and they are great together. Monkey see monkey do, they follow each other everywhere, and just play and play and play and play. It has been a big relief that she took onto him so fast!
they look like buddies :D i didnt read all the posts but i did read the pit is a rescue so i assume shes fixed..if not just be VERY careful or you may end up with pit hairs :o glad its working out with them, sure makes it go smoother for you and your room mate :D .....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Born2Hunt

Post by Born2Hunt » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:51 pm

Good looking dogs :D Doesnt look like they are having any problems