Raising penned pheasants

buckshot0074

Raising penned pheasants

Post by buckshot0074 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:44 pm

My uncle called me today (he is the president of the local Rod and Gun Club). He asked me if I would be interested in helping raise about 200 pheasants (they have an existing flight pen used about 8 years ago, they used to raise birds there but members lost interest). Told me that he would make sure I got some birds to help train my 1 year old Setter. Of course I said 'heck Yeah', I have never raised birds before, anything that I need to know .....

Thanks

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Raising penned pheasants

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:54 pm

They hatch out looking for a way to die. That about covers it.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:08 pm

Richard Reynolds game farm is near Ithaca this is the d.e.c. pheasant farm You should call them they might be able to help you. The d.e.c. also will supply chicks to anyone willing to raise birds if you release them on land open to public hunting. http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7071.html good luck .

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:24 pm

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:16 pm

Pheasants aren't too hard to raise.. Probably easier than any other game bird. Most people get by with less than 5% loss. You just need a warm place to start them under a brooder or heat lamps and provide food and clean water.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

ROTTnBRITT

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:30 am

You can check out www.thatquailplace.com.
Its pretty dead as far as activity on the forum. But still a lot of info. I learned a lot there.