sending a 1 year old for professional training

setterboy

sending a 1 year old for professional training

Post by setterboy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:50 pm

I am a new member and a first time birddog owner with a question about sending a pup away to a reputable experienced trainer .Will he retain the housebreaking routine and the many good habits that our family has worked so hard to develop? How do you know the right time to send him? What can one expect wih a 3-4 month "boot camp"? Any concerns or experiences that from those who have went this route would be appreciated!

Brittguy

Re: sending a 1 year old for professional training

Post by Brittguy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:34 pm

Don't worry, they have good memories, it will be like he never left. He is at a good age and you are giving him enough time to get things accomplished. If you picked a good trainer you should be pleased with the results.

setterboy

Post by setterboy » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:01 am

Thanks Btittguy for responding. Is a 10month pup advanced enough to teach steady to wing and break on shot provided he has progressed well with both yard and field work and he holds point well?

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:27 am

I would not hesitate sending a 10 month old dog to a trainer as long as the trainer isn't in a hurry to get the dog broke. If you already got him that far it should be pretty quick.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:47 am

10-12 months in a pointing dog is prime age to be sent to a trainer. How that trainer develops him, depends on whether or not you want a hunting dog or a trial dog.

If you want a hunting dog, he'll come back obedience trained, force fetched, and steady to wing, shot, maybe fall.

I don't trial, so I'll let the trial guys tell you what you'll get in that period with a trial dog.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:15 am

For most dogs I think 10 months is probably too early to break to wing and shot, but that varies with the dog. So with that part of the training I would say try if the dog tells you he is ready but don't put a lot of pressure to get this part done.

Cactus

Post by Cactus » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:53 am

I'm also a first time bird dog owner who just dropped my 9 month old pup off with a professional. Our trainer likes to get pups at about 6 months, but the folks that I talked to said 9 months is the perfect time. I also share your concern about regressing from being housebroke after an extended stay in a kennel. After a 3-4 months stay I hope to see improved obedience, whoa trained, FF trained, and steady to shot.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:41 am

regressing from being housebroke after an extended stay in a kennel.
They never forget a lesson learned. I can bring in any one of my dogs and they will not make any mistakes inside. Kennel floors are clean too :) house break the dog then it can go outside in the big dog kennel :) but the house break is first cause puppies are so much fun....
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

cmc274

Post by cmc274 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:52 am

In response to the original post, I think you should sit down with the trainer and discuss his plan and your expectations. It sounds like you are past the point of bird intro, gun intro and basic obedience. If the dog is past this point, but not ready to be broke, what will he be spending time on? Advanced obedience, more bird exposure, wild bird exposure, force fetch? As brittguy stated, your dog may be a little young to be broke, however if he spends 3-4 months with a trainer, he may be ready to start the breaking process during the boot camp. Maybe your trainer believes in breaking every dog at a certain age? If the dog is not ready to be broke and your expectations have been accomplished in 2 months, can you pick your dog up and bring him back in a few months to break him? Depending on your goals, this could help save your money. Those are the major points of discussion that I would have with your trainer. I don't think you can ask enough questions since it is your money and your dog. Lastly, are you going to be able to take part in a portion of the training or least some time with the trainer learning how to maintain the dog's training?