8 months to old

ekoog82

8 months to old

Post by ekoog82 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:44 pm

I have waited on getting my GSP pup on birds because of the winter months. I was wondering if it is to late to get him interested in birds with him going on 8 months now??

What kind of birds do you recommend? I am limited on the area I have to train him and let him run. The area we do have is inhabited by wild pheasant. I thought about getting some pigeons but that would be later this summer. Is it ok to let him out at the local hunt area to get exposure? or should I buy a few birds and let him get acclimated to their scent?

Tall Boy

Re: 8 months to old

Post by Tall Boy » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:05 pm

It's never too late, just turn him loose and let him run into a few. You should be taking him for walks and lettin him learn to stay to the front and use the wind as often as possible anyways. Having a few birds to put out is good, it makes it easier because you know where they are.

steamer

Post by steamer » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:56 pm

i just had to reply after reading your post. i was in the same boat but my gsp just turned 1. i was draging my feet because i dont really know what im doing . just today i got together with a great group of guys and introduced my dog to birds and the gun and he did great. i was real worried that he would be lost but we slowly introduced a bird then put some on a launcher and led him in he put up a couple of nice strong points. then later on we introduced him to the blank gun. he did really well no gun shyness at all. so in my newbie green mind i dont think 8 mnts is to old. check out your local navhda chapter they helped me a bunch. good luck

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:42 pm

Theres a guy we met in our local gsp club that has a 3 year old he is reintroducing to birds and the dogs doing great..the people that owned him before took him out on pigeons as a pup but then never got involved with hunting him and 3 years later he is still interested in birds so it depends on the dog but i bet your dog will do just fine..Definitely get involved with your local clubs/groups..our NAVHDA chapter has been a great help..they have mentors that you can call and meet up with for training and advice and they lead you in the right direction for testing, training ect..AND definitely read posts and ask questions on here, there are alot of knowledgeable people out there to help you and your dog build a great hunting relationship..good luck...ruth :D
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

ekoog82

Post by ekoog82 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:30 pm

Thanks for the feed back. I would love to get involved with my local NAVHDA but its close to 2 hours away. I plan on taking him out to get on some birds but have to make sure there is no hunting on the grounds when I go. Its public land and I would hate to mess his future up.

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:49 pm

look for other kinds of groups, even other breed groups. Most people really don't care if you have different dog from them. look to find any group that you can, do not just limit your self to NAVDHA.

brandon

Firemedic

Post by Firemedic » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:58 pm

8 months old is perfect. Let the pup be a pup for those first 7-8 months. No reason to hurry into your training program, but several reasons not to. So little to gain starting early, but so much to lose.

ekoog82

Post by ekoog82 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:40 pm

Just got great news, season is over for pheasant in my area. I hope to be out in the field this weekend see how he does.

ekoog82

Post by ekoog82 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:41 pm

Also, any recommendations on how to find the local groups in my area?

Firemedic

Post by Firemedic » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:44 pm

Where is your area?

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:35 am

ekoog82 wrote:Thanks for the feed back. I would love to get involved with my local NAVHDA but its close to 2 hours away. I plan on taking him out to get on some birds but have to make sure there is no hunting on the grounds when I go. Its public land and I would hate to mess his future up.
Our chapter is almost 3 hours away , but we still joined..you will still have access to a bunch of very informative people and although you have to travel a bit for tests its worth it if you plan to title your dog at all..they frequently have days to get together with others from the group and you dont have to have to attend them all but its worth it to try to get to some..we have been to both so far that were offered and it was worth it..plus they can put you in the right direction for other clubs..then again for us to travel 3 hours is nothing we have to travel that far just to find birds unless we go to michigan..have fun and good luck....ruth :D
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)