Wonder lead

mudpuppy1299

Wonder lead

Post by mudpuppy1299 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:48 am

I have been working my pup on the wonder lead for about one week now; she is catching on pretty quickly. How long does it usually take to transfer over to a regular collar and leash?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Wonder lead

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:52 am

once the walking with you and the quartering patterns are developed and are habit then going to the check cord is next..as for regular collar ..I always continue to use the command lead for the most part...Just make it a habit for me also
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:54 am

It's not the same effect. If you are using a training sequence like the Smith's, you will start doing checkcord work, then whoa post, then move to an e-collar. If you are simply using it to teach heel, it will be up to you to keep the dog in line walking on a loose lead without the control of the Wonder Lead.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:16 am

Cajun Casey wrote:It's not the same effect. If you are using a training sequence like the Smith's, you will start doing checkcord work, then whoa post, then move to an e-collar. If you are simply using it to teach heel, it will be up to you to keep the dog in line walking on a loose lead without the control of the Wonder Lead.
There is way more to the Command lead it is about it is about teaching a dog to go with you come to you and quartering patterns it is teaching a point of contact which has a meaning, tap tap for movement and a constant till stopped and this then extends and preps to the check cord and then to the e collar.

the work with you does start with the dog next to you but

It is just as important as cuing and working the dog in front of you as it is for everything else..to much of one thing limits the true usefulness of a wonderful tool
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Modi

Post by Modi » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:41 am

Is there a difference between the wonder lead and the lariat/rope thing they sell in tractor supply that looks exactly like it?

ymepointer

Post by ymepointer » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:46 am

Yes a slight difference, the wonder lead has a stopper on it to prevent the loop from moving to much and it also has a stopper on the end to prevent the lead from slipping through your hands.