Which ECollar?

Bowbender

Which ECollar?

Post by Bowbender » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:21 am

I know, I know, everyone has their own preferences but I'm looking for reliability in the brand too. First, I have to purchase through Cabelas because of gift certificates. They carry most but not all. Also, I would love to stay with the smaller antena types and range of a mile or less. I won't have more than one dog and btw my dog is a French Brittany. I have some experience with the ecollars but I haven't bought one in ten years. Any preferences, issues, and model types would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Re: Which ECollar?

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:23 am

Ive got a dogtra 1200 NC in excellent condition for sale........
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:46 am

Tri Tronics Tough Reliable and MAde and assembled here in the USA.

They have a smaller unit The Sport Basic is a decent little collar the transmitter uses a regular battery which if you get a good quality on will last for about a year with heavy use and the receivers are the rechargeable ones that you can program with any of their main transmitters

I personally prefer the Pro 100 for me but have the sport as a 2nd / Loaner collar.

edited to add :lol:
Even my dogs prefer Tri Tronics http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php ... 0&comments
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:57 am

I went from a SportDog 1850 to a DT H2O for an easier handle on the controller. Both are good models. Whatever the latest edition of either is, I'm sure you'd be happy with it. No problems out of either. Had the SportDog three years, the DT almost two.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Quill Gordon

Post by Quill Gordon » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:07 am

I've had Sportdog and Dogtra. I prefer Dogtra

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:44 am

Tritronics doesn't have the micro setting dogtra has but what I found to be more suitable for training is the tri tronics with the low.med and high. This allows you to go up in power without having to use two hands. They also have more collars that reach a mile. I had the 7100h that my bro in law bought but might be willing to sell for 180-200

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:46 am

Ohh forgot to add tritronice has smaller collars.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

helpful_cub

Post by helpful_cub » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:06 pm

I went with the Dogtra 2500T&B. Having a 1 mile range is really handy when we're working in the mountains. The beeper when he's on point is over-rated. It seems to spook every type of bird he's found so far.

PrairieGoat

Post by PrairieGoat » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:42 pm

I have 2 Dogtra 3500NCPs, a TriTronics Upland G3 EXP, and a TriTronics Sport Combo G3 EXP......from my experience I like the features of the Dogtra much better and believe it is a better training collar, but the Tritronics are much more reliable.

Bowbender

Post by Bowbender » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:48 pm

It seems Dogtra may have the edge on options. I had an older tritronics and that was sent out twice for repairs but that was a ten year old model. Is it worth getting a beeper? I'm not that old and I have a French brittany so i don't anticipate him running out too far. The Dogtra 2500 with built in beeper looks like a nice setup but if birds are spooked, forget it.

larry

Post by larry » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:20 pm

I have had the best luck with tritronic

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:16 pm

I want a Sportdog 1850.

But I've had NO issues with my Tritronics G3 Upland, and I have a hard time replacing something that's working...
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

mobeasto123

Post by mobeasto123 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:46 am

I'm using Tri-tronics Pro 100 Exp G3.. With my brit. with great succes it is as easy to use as High low and medium ( continuous) and also a med Nick .. It as a great range and still no failure...
Sure the remote is a little bigger than Sport dogs But so easy to use .. By the way I already have a Sd- 1850 but I keep it as a backup when hunting..
David & ''Hunter ''

Why put off until tomorrow a thing that we could do next week , next month or next year !!!

Chuckles

Post by Chuckles » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:44 am

I got a SportDog SD 1825, it was the only one I could find that had Vibrate, Tone, and Stim. It also has a lithium Ion Battery which is nice and good long range (1 Mile - which means 1/2 mile even in a little terrain).

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:09 pm

Stick with TT, everyone I have talked to loves them. I unfortunately have a Dogtra that is on its way back for the 2nd time to get fixed.... :(

JakeDD

Post by JakeDD » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:57 am

Bowbender - I see your from NY - do you do much cold weather/winter hunting? After owning an old Innotek (never again!), Dogtra 2500T&B, and a couple TTs (Field 70 and Upland Special G3), I will always always always choose the clicker dial and large buttons on the TT for ease of use and cold weather reliability. I hunt late season/cold weather every year, and I usually just leave the Dogtra at home because the LCD screen gets too cold to display properly and I really struggle with the rheostat dial while wearing gloves. Also, with the TT I can keep my eye on the dog and click L and R and know what # I'm on without having to take my eyes off the dog and look at a screen. Just another factor to consider.