Pointer training

baileydog2007

Pointer training

Post by baileydog2007 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:59 am

Hi all. And thanks to all who gave me advise on pointing dogs and info on breeders, ect. Helped a lot. Now I have a pup reserved and I am curious as to what everyones opinion is on training methods for pointers. Books, videos, seminars, ect. I will be going to a couple hunt tests and a trial to watch some work, but where is a good starting point for me to prepare for pups arrival. I have had dogs forever and trained labs just fine (for me, SH with some MH passes is good enuf for me) but I know a pointing dog is totally different so any advise would be great. Thanks again.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Pointer training

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:29 pm

Lose ten pounds and buy some good boot inserts.

What did you finally decide on for a pup? I'm kind of an old school fan, let 'em run and find their own birds for a while.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:39 pm

I like Jon and Cindy Hann's "The Perfect Start" and "The Perfect Finish" DVD's. They use a common sense approach - letting the dog learn at his own pace and getting them into plenty of birds.

I'm with Cajun above. Lots of wild bird contacts and letting the pup explore the environment. Building a confident, bold pup is your goal. IMO, it's easier to "reel one in" who loves birds than to "get one to want to hunt." I'm a fan of building desire first, control second. That sometimes backfires on me as my older pups are kind of wild for awhile, but they all love birds.

terrylndrs

Post by terrylndrs » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:41 am

RoostersMom wrote:I like Jon and Cindy Hann's "The Perfect Start" and "The Perfect Finish" DVD's. They use a common sense approach - letting the dog learn at his own pace and getting them into plenty of birds.

I'm with Cajun above. Lots of wild bird contacts and letting the pup explore the environment. Building a confident, bold pup is your goal. IMO, it's easier to "reel one in" who loves birds than to "get one to want to hunt." I'm a fan of building desire first, control second. That sometimes backfires on me as my older pups are kind of wild for awhile, but they all love birds.
100% correct.

terrylndrs

Post by terrylndrs » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:44 am

If you go to a hunt test or field trial you will be hooked for life!

Meller

Post by Meller » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:23 am

Training with Mo.; Book and DVD! :)

baileydog2007

Post by baileydog2007 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:29 am

terrylndrs wrote:If you go to a hunt test or field trial you will be hooked for life!

I know. I have been. My lab was a SH. Could only pass one master test, failed 3, but those were on me of course. Its easy to get hooked, no doubt.

baileydog2007

Post by baileydog2007 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:06 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:Lose ten pounds and buy some good boot inserts.

What did you finally decide on for a pup? I'm kind of an old school fan, let 'em run and find their own birds for a while.

I ended up with an EP. Pretty excited.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:43 pm

baileydog2007 wrote:

Cool. Just remember, to participate in AKC and NAVHDA events, you will have to cross register your pup. You might want to splurge and subscribe to The Field if you are interested in that venue. NSTRA is another possibility. They accept FDSB.

Congratulations.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

baileydog2007

Post by baileydog2007 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:44 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:
baileydog2007 wrote:

Cool. Just remember, to participate in AKC and NAVHDA events, you will have to cross register your pup. You might want to splurge and subscribe to The Field if you are interested in that venue. NSTRA is another possibility. They accept FDSB.

Congratulations.

I will certainly do AKC hunt tests and MUGS too, but Im not sure an EP is suited for NAVHDA. I came here wanting an EP, was talked out of it, then went back to what I like/want. I will certainly have more questions, but I am very impressed with the kennel/breeder, and Im very excited.

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:31 pm

English pointers are the top pointing dog on earth. they are the ferrari of dogs. Get yourself a good fast horse and enjoy the process. All joking aside good luck with the dog. Check out george Hickox website. He has a good video that will get you started in the right direction Also check out his published articles on his site

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:19 pm

baileydog2007 wrote:Im not sure an EP is suited for NAVHDA.
Your EP will do just fine in NAVHDA so long as you get him in the water early, and cultivate it's retrieve early and often. You'll probably spend a little more time on the retrieving, and less time on steadiness and backing. Good luck with your pup.

baileydog2007

Post by baileydog2007 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:27 am

Thanks all. Im excited. My Dad thinks Im a fool to own anything but a lab, especially after my french britt experience, lol. Of course he has owned nothing but labs his whole life so has absolutely nothing to compare. I hope to change his opinion at some point!

ekoog82

Post by ekoog82 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:10 pm

baileydog2007 wrote: I hope to change his opinion at some point!
ha ha, at some POINT! sorry kind of lame but had to do it.

congrats and good luck with the pup. Remember Pictures, we need pictures.

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:19 am

You shouldn't judge a whole breed from a one dog experience. I can find you a high strung dog from any breed and I'd bet my nicest nickel that dog you were around didn't get the exercize required by a hunting dog, if it did I'm wrong. Find out where the dog came from and stay away from that line, spend some time with the parents of the pup you are interested in. As for pointers, if you want to take your dog hunting don't get a pointer, if you want to go hunting with your dog a pointer is probably right for you. :D

baileydog2007

Post by baileydog2007 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:26 am

Redfishkilla wrote:You shouldn't judge a whole breed from a one dog experience. I can find you a high strung dog from any breed and I'd bet my nicest nickel that dog you were around didn't get the exercize required by a hunting dog, if it did I'm wrong. Find out where the dog came from and stay away from that line, spend some time with the parents of the pup you are interested in. As for pointers, if you want to take your dog hunting don't get a pointer, if you want to go hunting with your dog a pointer is probably right for you. :D

Well, the dog I was around, was mine. And I guarantee it got plenty of exercise. Anyways, I wont judge the breed by one dog. However, I wont ever be a FB owner again, ever. Thats just me and simply because of my experience. I did, however choose to get that pup for a reason, I KNOW there are tons of great ones, but after that, Ill take my chances on a different breed.

baileydog2007

Post by baileydog2007 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:41 pm

RoostersMom wrote:I like Jon and Cindy Hann's "The Perfect Start" and "The Perfect Finish" DVD's. They use a common sense approach - letting the dog learn at his own pace and getting them into plenty of birds.

Best place to get the "Perfect Start" CD?

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:20 pm

Just give Cindy or Jon a call and get one. If I had mine, I'd send it on to you, but my sis is using it for her new pup. or you can just order one off the internet at www.perfectionkennel.com

You can ALWAYS call them to get advice if you run into trouble with the video.

They are some awesome folks.