Spaying

ben33127

Spaying

Post by ben33127 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:24 am

Does anyone hunt with a spayed female? I have heard people say it doesnt change the dog. Does anyone have experience with hunting spayed females?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Spaying

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:26 am

if the dog hunts it will still hunt after altering
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:41 am

I had a britt female once, she was liver not orange. Had her spayed didnt change her in any way cept for the heat issues a female could have.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Prairie Hunter

Post by Prairie Hunter » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:57 am

I have hunted over spayed females. If they were already hunting, it won't change their desire to hunt. However, some may be prone to weight gain. I just watch how much I feed them, and cut back a little if they start to pick up weight.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:52 pm

We hunt with 7 spayed females, 2 EP's, a GSP, a Chessie and 3 beagles plus our males are neutered as well. No change in temperament and no weight gain in my dogs - as long as you exercise them properly it's no big deal. You get the added benefit of not having to miss that hunt test or that trip that you wanted to take, but won't because she's in heat and the buddies you hunt with have intact males.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:55 pm

Sapyed females are twice the hunters they were before. Maybe even 5 times. Awesome to watch!

JK - I have seen no difference in the dogs we have spayed.

vols fan

Post by vols fan » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:14 am

Both of mine are spayed and it hasn't changed how they hunt . If they are birddogs , it will not matter

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:41 pm

My EP is getting spayed next monday... today tho I found a small cyst on her right side about half way between her last rib and her hip... :( hope it's not anything serious. Will have the vet check it.
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

madmurph

Post by madmurph » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:29 pm

I would also agree. I noticed no change in my spayed female's desire to hunt, drive, activity level, etc. I have no regrets in having had her spayed. Just don't ask when is the right time to have a female spayed!! Only problem we had was that her incision from the spaying came open and as luck would have it, we were out of town and it was a holiday. The visit to the emergency clinic cost more than the surgery and her follow up visits at our regular vet combined!!
You could live without a dog, but it would not be worthwhile.

britspan

Post by britspan » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:43 pm

Prairie Hunter wrote:I have hunted over spayed females. If they were already hunting, it won't change their desire to hunt. However, some may be prone to weight gain. I just watch how much I feed them, and cut back a little if they start to pick up weight.
I have heard that females gain weight, and then I've heard it is a myth.. Any conclusions whether it is or not? I've had my brittany spayed but I can't decide if she actually does gain weight easier.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:48 pm

If you overfeed and underexercise a dog it will gain weight.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:50 pm

slistoe wrote:If you overfeed and underexercise a dog it will gain weight.
+1...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

britspan

Post by britspan » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:31 pm

Agreed, but does spaying necessarily increase possibility of weight gain if the same amount of exercise and feeding habits stay the same?

gdog

Post by gdog » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:36 pm

britspan wrote:Agreed, but does spaying necessarily increase possibility of weight gain if the same amount of exercise and feeding habits stay the same?
Not in my experience with a handful of spayed females. Same feed....same amount....same activity...never resulted in additional weight after spaying.

britspan

Post by britspan » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:47 pm

gdog wrote:
britspan wrote:Agreed, but does spaying necessarily increase possibility of weight gain if the same amount of exercise and feeding habits stay the same?
Not in my experience with a handful of spayed females. Same feed....same amount....same activity...never resulted in additional weight after spaying.
That is what I have noticed as well. Just seeing what other people's experiences were.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:55 pm

ben33127 wrote:Does anyone hunt with a spayed female? I have heard people say it doesnt change the dog. Does anyone have experience with hunting spayed females?

I have two spayed females and noticed no difference after spaying.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett