Questioning Trainer

ben33127

Questioning Trainer

Post by ben33127 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:18 am

I have sent my pup to be formally trained. I hunted him till he was 1 1/2 yrs he pointed, but would not hold very long, he loved being in birds and esp. loved chasing them. Well I talked to my trainer and he said he was going to have to keep him another month because he was scared of multiple birds getting up, he never once was shy with single getting up at all? Has anyone exp. this with there dog, or is the trainer blowing smoke to keep the dog longer? Thanks in advance for your help!

Firemedic

Re: Questioning Trainer

Post by Firemedic » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:24 am

Where did you find the trainer? Did you get references? If it were my dog, I would go observe this behavior, with an open mind. Any honest trainer would not mind.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:26 am

I agree you need to see the dog work.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:04 pm

Firemedic wrote:Where did you find the trainer? Did you get references? If it were my dog, I would go observe this behavior, with an open mind. Any honest trainer would not mind.
ditto go see and also what might be happening is the dog is not wanting to play by the rules and it may not be that he is afraid of the birds he maybe resistant to the new rules to the game
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Upland Point

Post by Upland Point » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:40 pm

I agree give the trainer a call and check it out for yourself.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:53 pm

You didn't mention how long the trainer has has your dog.
If it's been a couple of months, it's not unreasonable to need another few weeks to iron out some wrinkes. If it's been 9 or 10 months, how's one more going to hurt? Four to six months, go take a look.
Remember all dogs don't come along at the same speed or with the same skills/instincts. Some dogs are gangbusters as youngsters, but balk when they aren't allowed to do things their own way any more. Some dogs do great with a bunch of stuff, but the wheels come off for a particular lesson.
I'd be more worried if the trainer demanded you come get your dog because he needs the space in his kennel. :wink: