Dog not listening to the Wife

Brittlver

Dog not listening to the Wife

Post by Brittlver » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:13 pm

I have a 7 month old Brittany Female that seems to not want to listen to my wife. No matter what she does the dogs seems to do the opposite. She will put her on her back and hold her until she is calm and that doesn't seem to help. She likes to try and play with my wife all the time, by swatting at her, Play nipping and jumping on her. For me she does not do any of these things. She will come lay by be or go lay on the other side of the couch but never wants to play like that with me. The only thing I have a problem with is the come command. She just kind of stares at me with the look of Huh. Any help would be appreciated. My wife is kind of getting fed up with this. Plus if she puts her in the crate while my daughter is eating she wines all the time with my wife and when I do it nothing she just lays down and sleeps. I don't understand this. She is completely opposite when I am around.

Thanks for the help.
Jesse

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Dog not listening to the Wife

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:43 pm

Your wife needs to be assertive with your pup do a serious attention getting action not dominance I do not roll a pup I will pick up by the scruff of the neck and zip them off the floor if they are getting out of control ..I do not shake or yell it is a simple zip up off the floor and hold them up. Your dog is not taking your wife serious at all is what it sounds like because it doesn't sound like your wife really means what she is doing. be direct and precise command what you want don't ask and don't get mad

If you get the National Geographic channel The Dog whisperer is a great show to watch..he is very effective on really keying in to a way a dog will respond. I know there are nay sayers but his methods do work and work very well.provided you follow and watch the dog and have the patience.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:48 pm

Sadly,

It's time for wifey to take over the chore of raising the pup for awhile. She needs the pup to understand that she is the adult around the house too. She needs to feed, discipline, walk, and play with the pup. Sadly, this means you need to make sure she has time to do this. You need to take care of the kid (s?) while she's handling the dog. My dog absolutely does not listen to my husband because he won't be bothered to make him behave and he won't take over the care of him except if I'm gone. My dog does do well with the husband however, if I am gone for a week and hubby deals with him that entire time. Funny though, his two dogs absolutely listen to me because I do a lot of the feeding, cleaning and walking.

The dog will learn to listen to her as long as she is consistent and spends time with the dog.

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:53 pm

Your dog is doing what dogs do . Dogs watch their environment for cues and employ strategies to get what they want. When one strategy fails they try another. Your dogs strategy is your wife. My guess is that your wife is not willing to give the dog a correction that the dog perceives as significant. This can be as simple as a bonker , a rolled up hand towel with rubber bands around it thrown at the dog. You do not have to hit the dog , just throw over dogs head. This can be perceived as very significant to the dog. The book culture clash by jean donaldson will help you to understand dog behavior the author does not recommend training using correction but she is not training hunting dogs with prey drive we are trying to enhance. That said it is a great resource for understanding dogs and will help you understand different training philosophies. Also check out George Hickox's website there is a lot of good info on it.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:00 pm

RoostersMom wrote:Sadly,

It's time for wifey to take over the chore of raising the pup for awhile. She needs the pup to understand that she is the adult around the house too. She needs to feed, discipline, walk, and play with the pup. Sadly, this means you need to make sure she has time to do this. You need to take care of the kid (s?) while she's handling the dog. My dog absolutely does not listen to my husband because he won't be bothered to make him behave and he won't take over the care of him except if I'm gone. My dog does do well with the husband however, if I am gone for a week and hubby deals with him that entire time. Funny though, his two dogs absolutely listen to me because I do a lot of the feeding, cleaning and walking.

The dog will learn to listen to her as long as she is consistent and spends time with the dog.
+1 your wife serves no purpose in the pups eyes, let her take over as much as possible....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:13 pm

While I agree that your wife needs to take a more structured role in raising the pup, I totally disagree with every other assessment of the situation. I think you need to get yourself a new dog. This one has chosen your wife as her person. :)
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:17 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:While I agree that your wife needs to take a more structured role in raising the pup, I totally disagree with every other assessment of the situation. I think you need to get yourself a new dog. This one has chosen your wife as her person. :)
I think this is the best answer yet. I will have to pass this on to my wife. Thanks for the Input Cajun. :lol:

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:42 pm

You asked for help on teaching the dog to come when called.

Start in the back yard with a check cord.

Say "come". If dog dog doesn't come, reel him in. Have a little treat ready. Do this 5000 time :) and then move on to have check cord dragged. Then no cord. Then a bigger field.
Dogs learn by habit. Many consistent repetitions.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:49 pm

We'll work on this Saturday :D

Byrdgirl

Post by Byrdgirl » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:29 am

Hi Jesse,

Not sure if this is helpful since so many people above gave good advice but we had a similiar issue with our female GSP when she was between the ages of 7 and 10 months. Cleo really started testing the waters with me (the wifey) eventhough I have never had a problem correcting her and have always been assertive with her. To be honest I think it was just a phase of hers where she was trying to figure out where she belonged in our pack. She clearly knew that Jim was the boss so the next person to power struggle with was me. We just kept doing what it was that we were doing which was being assertive and me being involved with her training and she out grew it for the most part. She still gets a little sassy with me from time to time but its not often. Not enough to be any kind of an issue. Good luck.
Follow our adventures at: http://gsphuntingdog.blogspot.com/
Hunting Dog Photography: http://byrddogphotography.com/

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:58 am

Thanks for all the information. I passed the information along to the wife and showed her what to do. I advised that she will need to step up what she is doing. We will see how things go. I will keep you all informed. Again thanks for all the great information.

Jesse

C.painter

Post by C.painter » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:25 pm

Hey Jesse probably a good idea to get her involved in a little of the training this weekend! :-)

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:31 pm

Did you, by chance, request at some point that your wife not do anything to mess up your birddog?
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:10 pm

Nope, My wife hunts right beside me so I told her she needs to learn how to handle the dog same as me. For some reason the dog listens to me and not my wife even though she is with her more then I am. Maybe its a female thing. Plus my dog is hard headed so to speak, so that may play a role in this as well. Pretty soon she will be going to obedience training so hopefully that will get her to listen to my wife.

Jesse

jcorcoran

Post by jcorcoran » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:29 pm

My brittany did the same thing for a while. I made it a point that everyone in the house, wife and 2 kids should start working with the dog a little and feeding her. The dog still is a little more playful and goofy with my kids, ages 7 and 4, but I think knows her place in the family. If I am around, the dog still looks to me first. But if I am gone and my wife takes the dog out by herself the dog obeys her.
I think Cajun might be on to something, the dog likes your wife.

Red

Post by Red » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:13 pm

. Cleo really started testing the waters with me (the wifey)
Hi Robyn, My wife is having trouble with Boss too, it's getting old if you know what I mean... :roll: LOL

I think she's to soft with him... Maybe you can talk some sense into her next Sunday... :lol:
Earth First, We Can Hunt The Rest Of The Planets Later.

Byrdgirl

Post by Byrdgirl » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:00 pm

Hey Rich!

Yay!! Hope to see you on Sunday! I'll be there both Saturday and Sunday....I'm bringing over 50 pigeons with me. Lol. Trust me if you asked everyone else there they would share a hundred stories of those pups harrassing the wifeys. It seems to be the thing to do. Boss is a great pup! He'll grow out of it. Tell her to hang in there.
Follow our adventures at: http://gsphuntingdog.blogspot.com/
Hunting Dog Photography: http://byrddogphotography.com/

hunterw/newhobby

Post by hunterw/newhobby » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:13 am

I don't know if birddogs like wives....My dog would take my wife's shoes out of a pile of 10 of my shoes and chew on it. (Luckily it was a phase). I swear to this day the dog was just doing it because my wife was against me getting a dog and enjoyed seeing her yell at her and me for the dumb shoes.