Getting the pup to want to retrieve.

afairchild0103

Getting the pup to want to retrieve.

Post by afairchild0103 » Fri May 06, 2011 11:36 am

I've got a 15 week old black lab. I've had her since she was 7 weeks, and I work with her just about every day for about 20 minutes or so. She has her obedience commands down very well for only being 15 weeks. She is also whistle trained as well. Sometime within our training session I like to break out a fun bumper and the first few weeks she was really getting into it. I could even throw it, make is bounce off a tree so she wouldn't see it land, she would run after it, get to where she thought it would be, then stick her nose to the ground and sniff it out and return it. It seams like the last week she just doesn't want to retrieve. I'll throw the bumper she'll get it once bring it back. I'll throw it again she'll run up to it and then go off and do something else. I can throw stuffed animals for her all day long inside and she'll retrieve them over and over. Just looking for a little advice on getting her to retrieve the fun bumpers. I've been using an old VHS tape called "Water Dogs" to train and it has given me a great start. Thanks for the help!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Getting the pup to want to retrieve.

Post by kninebirddog » Fri May 06, 2011 11:48 am

Umm You are dealing with a baby....Back up and make stuff a game tiny session at this time it is more important to have a tiny Quality Session then a long quantity session..
Your making a kindergartener length of attention do Junior high level of work

If the pup is quitting you you have pushed your session way to far
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri May 06, 2011 12:02 pm

Your pup will retrieve just fine dont worry.. if you have a chance, take the pup to some water and throw a dummy in the water for her to retrieve to change it up a bit but other than that dont stress too much, dont over do it and have fun also keep in mind that the pup is teething at that age and she may have a sore mouth right now :wink:...have fun....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Fri May 06, 2011 12:09 pm

Possibly she is beginning to see her bumper retrieving as being part of the obedience regime ? This may be making her less keen to retrieve "serious" bumpers ?

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri May 06, 2011 12:44 pm

Teeth coming in? Her big canines should be forming and starting to put pressure on her baby teeth. Try a smaller diameter, softer dummy in the yard. You might also wash her old one.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

afairchild0103

Post by afairchild0103 » Fri May 06, 2011 1:23 pm

This is my first dog so I'm still learning just as she is. Would it be a bad idea to change to a different dummy. I have a stuffed animal thats a duck. If that works, how long should i go till i switch back to the bumper?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri May 06, 2011 1:33 pm

I would find a dog club near you to get some help

It is very common for new owner to get excited and over do a puppys attention span and take what should be fun for a puppy and drill them to boredom

Always leave you puppy wanting more that is how to stop on good notes
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri May 06, 2011 1:35 pm

Get some cheap paint roller refills. We love them for everybody.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri May 06, 2011 1:40 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:Get some cheap paint roller refills. We love them for everybody.
+1 on the paint roller refills, we use them too..we also have a training dummy from GANDER MOUNTAIN that is covered with pheasant feathers and our pup loves it....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

centexhunt

Post by centexhunt » Fri May 13, 2011 1:43 am

My gsp did the same for a while, so I took an old dead dove that I had in the deep freeze, stuck it in a leather glove ducktaped closed. That also cured his attempt to chew the frozen bird. When Im done training I just stick it back in the freezer inside th glove.
There is nothing like dove opening day in Creedmoor Texas!