How to limit flight of Chukars

Hotchkiss

How to limit flight of Chukars

Post by Hotchkiss » Sun May 08, 2011 7:30 pm

I bought some adult Chukars to use in the launchers. What is the best way to limit how far they fly in an attempt to catch them and use them again. I saw a few suggestions about attaching things to a leg. What has worked for you?

cjuve

Re: How to limit flight of Chukars

Post by cjuve » Sun May 08, 2011 7:34 pm

I usually anchor them with lead but they usually are not the pen raised varity :D

mcclinj

Post by mcclinj » Sun May 08, 2011 8:47 pm

I've been using a wooden block 2X2 and maybe 8-10 inches long with a length of rope wrapped around a nail. I made loops in both end and secured them with zip ties so they are easy on / easy off. Paint the blocks orange so they are easier to find. You can also add lead to the blocks like mentioned above.

-John

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Sun May 08, 2011 9:24 pm

Most of the pen-raised chukars I use don't fly very well, and often can't get off the ground with anything of any weight attached. I went to tying about twenty yards of pink surveyor's string to the birds' legs, and when I launch them they'll fly 70-100 yards before landing. The string trails behind them and keeps them from running very far once they land, and the pink color makes the string easy to find when I go to look for the bird. Just grab the string and reel in your bird to use another day.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon May 09, 2011 12:12 am

Get 12 inches of 3/4 pvc pipe. Drill a hole in the middle. Take 15 - 20 feet of string and thread it through the middle where you drilled the hole. Tie the string with a loop in the end. Place it by the launcher.

When you go to place the bird in the launcher make a slip knot with the string where you tied the original loop. Make sure you secure it above the knee on the bird or else it will slip off of the foot.

I would advise you use pigeons as they are stronger flyers but you can't always get them and sometimes any bird is better then none.

Have fun.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon May 09, 2011 5:17 am

I have used a piece of cardboard attached to a string as well.

Also Chuckars will recall. Not near as good as Quail. But you can get some back.

Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick