gun breaking horses?

jimbo&rooster

gun breaking horses?

Post by jimbo&rooster » Fri May 20, 2011 10:48 am

Do you use the same process to break a horse to guns as a dog? i have recently laid claims to one of my wife/father in laws horses to train/hunt off of, and though my FIL claims to have shot off this horse i cant imagine it was more than once and im sure not recently. Now while I dont intend to shoot quail from the saddle like im john wayne or somthing, I would like not to have to walk home.

I kind of started yesterday by firing my starter pistol in the air from about 100yds while He was in the circle pen we use to work them and he jumped a little but no real reaction my plan was to move progressively closer then do the same with increasingly louder shotguns till he was good with me shooting a 12ga from 20-25yds.

does this sound right?

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

birdshot

Re: gun breaking horses?

Post by birdshot » Fri May 20, 2011 11:07 am

jimbo&rooster wrote:my FIL claims to have shot off this horse
A guy rented a horse for hunting elk. The wrangler told the hunter to make sure he shot off the horse. The hunter wakes up in hospital, and the wrangler is there to find out what went wrong. The hunter explains he rode out into a meadow, where he saw a big bull standing. he pulled his rifle and shot off the horse as the wrangler had told him. The wrangler then interupts him, "Saying no, i told you to shoot OFF, the horse".

you are probably on the right track, actually i don't know, i just wanted to tell my joke after seeing your father in law shoots off the horse.

raven34

Post by raven34 » Fri May 20, 2011 11:35 am

Jim
Sounds like you are doing the right thing. We try to do alot of yard work with the dogs where the horses are grazing or next to their paddocks. Gettin ready are ya? lol :D

Jen

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Fri May 20, 2011 3:15 pm

raven34 wrote:Jim
Sounds like you are doing the right thing. We try to do alot of yard work with the dogs where the horses are grazing or next to their paddocks. Gettin ready are ya? lol :D

Jen
Yeah I figure now that im bout to hit the big time i better at least remember what a horse looks like. haha.

JIm
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Fri May 20, 2011 9:27 pm

A good friend of mine says you can shoot off of any horse.....once.

Bama

Post by Bama » Sat May 21, 2011 7:57 am

Rooster,
You are on the right track. The more they are arounf the gun shot's the less they care has been my experience. At first my horses didn't even like when we were taking/putting back in scabard. Now it's just part of their job. I'm working on ground tie now. Good luck.