The Flush

jimssetters

The Flush

Post by jimssetters » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:27 am

I have been enjoying training my new setter pup! Heres my question she is pointing every time so far. How does she learn not to get to get to close so the bird flushes? She hasnt got to close yet, she has a supper nose. Just trying to find out early in case this happens. It would nbe nice if i never have to worry about this, but we all know how that goes.

cmc274

Re: The Flush

Post by cmc274 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:37 am

If your dog pressures the bird too much, it will get up and leave (provided it is a good flying loose bird, that it isn't over dizzied). Your dog will see this as a failure, learn from it, and start to change its method on subsequent birds. This is the natural process that teaches dogs how much pressure they can apply to pin the bird without it leaving. You wouldn't need to do anything except keep exposing her to more good flying birds.

JoeFriday

Post by JoeFriday » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:06 am

we're at the same point with our dogs. My girl points great, and holds well for about 60 seconds. Then she starts to creep in and will eventually bump the planted birds. That's why I now need to get a bird launcher to give her a 'real world' example of what happens when you move in too close. After scaring off a few birds, she should learn to hold indefinitely. Then we can work on teaching her that I can get the birds for her (ie, shooting them).

jimssetters

Post by jimssetters » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:47 pm

misunderstanding she hasnt busted any birds yet. I was trying to find what to correct when she does. She is holding point for 5 to 7 minutes solid no creeping. it just seems to be to good to be true.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:02 pm

If she busts a couple of birds give her the same punishment you give yourself when you miss a shot. Now if she starts doing it on a regular basis then you may want to work with a launcher or get her on a CC so you can control the situation till you get it corrected.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:20 pm

I prefer to let the dog learn as much a possible without the handler being involved.
I plant the bird and let PUP bump it and chase- good fliers that can't be caught.

In a length of time, the dog figures out that if he crowds the bird , it is gone.
Pup starts to creep. Bird still takes off.
Pup points and holds briefly then goes.
Bird still takes off.

Pup holds longer. This is my signal to use the CC etc. and get more involved.

I haven't taught the pup that the bird will leave if he doesn't hold that point; he has taught himself and this will stay with him for life. So when he's older and on point 150 yards away, he holds , even though I'm not there to remind him.

I know many would never let their dog chase, but for a young dog, this method has worked well for me . :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett