Brittany / electronic collar

chain

Brittany / electronic collar

Post by chain » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:23 pm

I have my first Brittany, he is coming along OK but we are having issues with him coming when called. Is an electronic collar the answer ? Thank you

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Brittany / electronic collar

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:35 pm

Does he know what Here means on the check cord if not then no the e collar is not the answer...if he does and you have worked a program then Yes the e collar can maintain the follow through for a command
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

DTFB

Post by DTFB » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:12 pm

How old is the dog?

It's my belief you never teach a dog a command with an e-collar. Only for assistance in reinforcing LEARNED commands.

Before I would purchase a collar I would error on the side that perhaps the dog isn't solid on understanding the command. Understanding means it follows the command every time, without you repeating the command.

jlowery

Post by jlowery » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:29 pm

I am currently working with my 5 month old Setter on HERE, I started in the backyard for about two weeks on a check cord, then changed to an open field in the neighborhood to change his surroundings for about a week, and i am just starting him on the ecollar, but i know after three weeks and much success, he knows the command, this is just reinforcing it. "Perfect Start" DVD shows the whole process prefectly. I am even teaching my 1.5 brittany the same way, and he knows COME very well, but figured i would take him back through, and brush up on some basics. You want him successful before you reinforce it. JMO.

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:28 pm

chain wrote:I have my first Brittany, he is coming along OK but we are having issues with him coming when called. Is an electronic collar the answer ? Thank you
How old is the Dog ?

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:01 pm

I'll assume you're following the adage "don't ever give a command you can't enforce?" That means if the dog is "iffy" on the "here" command, you never give it unless he is wearing a checkcord and you can physically make him respond to the command. If you're ever giving the command and he learns that he can ignore it - then you are creating a really bad problem. An e-collar is not the answer to this problem, it is a help when the dog is totally trained on the command before you ever use the collar.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:21 pm

chain wrote:I have my first Brittany, he is coming along OK but we are having issues with him coming when called. Is an electronic collar the answer ? Thank you

I will assume, based on this post, that the dog is on the young side. My suggestion is to get two long checkcords and two bags of doggie treats...really little ones like puppy treats. A bag of kibble works fine too. Start with a dog that has not been fed yet so it is hungry.

Have on person sit up from the dog and one person sit down from the dog. Each checkcord should be long enough for the dog to go all the way to the other person while still having the cord in hand. Person A calls the dog. if the dog does not come...you say nothing, do not repeat the command, do not raise your voice, but simply reel them in, give them a pat and that is about all. Make it stand there with a tight checkcord. Then person B calls the dog. Person A then lets their checkcord go slack. If the dog then goes to person B he gets a doggie treat or a single bit of kibble.

Unless the dog is a complete mess, it will soon be RACING from person A to person B... COMMAND... order to get fed.

In ever case where I did this, the dog understood... VERY CLEARLY... that it should come when called...the first time...every time, if it expected to eat.

It works really well with puppies and young dogs. I have never done it with an adult dog, but suspect it will work very nearly as well. Adult dogs get hungry too.

RayG