Do A few Homing pigeons are really annoying to neighbors ??

mobeasto123

Do A few Homing pigeons are really annoying to neighbors ??

Post by mobeasto123 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:33 pm

Hi there,

As some of you already know, I'm thinking about having a small pigon coop ( about 15-20) and considering the fact That I have neighbors I was wondering about something ??

I know so me of say that Pigeons are a mess for the neighbors, But considering that I have only 1 dog to train with and I'll will surely do it about twice a week just to be sure that my dog is keeping what my trainer has been workin on with him. Let say I Bring 4 bird with me to train at one time, the dog point and Flush and kill 2 on 4 There will be only 2 pigeons at a time coming back to the Coop, Is 2 pigeons Coming back at the same time Is such a mess that My neighbor will never ever talk to me and maybe pursue me Or I should be Fine ..

I really need to Pigeons at my house.. There are no club around here, and neither Harvestor That I could go there the night before training just to have a couple bird the next Day training.

Do some fo you have Homing coop in suburban town like me with neighbor and having No problems ???

Thanks
David
David & ''Hunter ''

Why put off until tomorrow a thing that we could do next week , next month or next year !!!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Do A few Homing pigeons are really annoying to neighbors ??

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:41 pm

I have about eighty right now and I have never had any problem with my neighbors. They are kept in except when I turn them out to fly and when they are done they come back in to eat. I have never seen a bird land on our house or any of the neighbors and they wouldn't even know I had them if I didn't turn them out to fly and they do come over sometimes to watch them.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

BIGINNER

Post by BIGINNER » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:44 pm

I REALLY DOUBT THAT 20-30 WOULD BE VERY ANNOYING, AS LONG AS YOUR YARD HAS A BETTER PLACE FOR THE PIGEONS TO HANG OUT AND EAT, WE HAVE ABOUT 300+ PIGEONS, AND NEVER HAD A COMPLAINT

Swagg

Post by Swagg » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:02 pm

They really do not make a mess like people say they do. If you only fly a few at a time i bet your neighbors will not even know you have them....

larry

Post by larry » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:17 pm

Don't over feed your birds, I feed mine in the evening. If I let them out to fly or use them to train I put thier evening feed in the coop after I let them out. They don't stay out long and seldom land on the roofs as they are wanting to get back in to feed.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:16 pm

I'm not an expert on homers , but do you not have to fly them more then twice a week to maintain their ability to fly/flush hard?
I had a homer mixed in with my regular birds once and it insisted on landing on the neighbor's gazebo first, when returning home. That did not go over big.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:19 pm

Don't kill your homers!

Find trash birds and shoot them instead - your homers are worth their weight in gold - and if you've got to shoot birds, buy some quail or trap some wild pigeons and shoot them.

I'm out in BFE, so no neighbors to bother me... but mine pretty much go right in the coop when they come home. Mostly because I don't feed them before I fly them. I put the grain in the containers right before I take them out for work - for when they make it home.

Vision

Post by Vision » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:26 am

The only annoy your neighbors if you let them. If you keep them hungry so they don't lounge around on everyone's roofs. Racing pigeons being used for dog training don't need much more than 2 tablespoons of grain per day. They will try and fake you out and make you think they are more hungry than they really are. You can whistle train them just like dogs to trap on command. Every time you feed them blow a whistle and they will learn to trap on command.

mobeasto123

Post by mobeasto123 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:12 pm

Don't kill your homers!

Find trash birds and shoot them instead - your homers are worth their weight in gold - and if you've got to shoot birds, buy some quail or trap some wild pigeons and shoot them.

I'm out in BFE, so no neighbors to bother me... but mine pretty much go right in the coop when they come home. Mostly because I don't feed them before I fly them. I put the grain in the containers right before I take them out for work - for when they make it home.
But what is worth to keep pigeon at home if you can't shoot them.. I live in a city where there are no pigeons, So I have to take them far far away from my home. So if I take some pigeon home I would have to shoot some form time to time to train my dog with complete sessions : Point, Flush, Shoot , Fetch and Give.. Or so I think..

Or am I better to keep about 10-12 pigeon in a Rabbit cage till the end of summer, Try to train on wild grouse and if it is not ok turn back again on working with pigeons and shoot some if needed..
David & ''Hunter ''

Why put off until tomorrow a thing that we could do next week , next month or next year !!!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:10 pm

When training your dog you normally need to shoot very few birds. I use the homers over and over, some in launchers, some dizzied, and some out of my bag to train the dog from contact through flush and shot(blank pistol normally) and occasionally I will shoot one as we get near the end of the process. and when I do plan on killing one I try to use a cull of some kind.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mobeasto123

Post by mobeasto123 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:02 pm

When training your dog you normally need to shoot very few birds. I use the homers over and over, some in launchers, some dizzied, and some out of my bag to train the dog from contact through flush and shot(blank pistol normally) and occasionally I will shoot one as we get near the end of the process. and when I do plan on killing one I try to use a cull of some kind.
Thanks for you answer now I understand a bit more.. I'll Try this Formula..
David & ''Hunter ''

Finelinegundogs

Post by Finelinegundogs » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:09 am

Agree with Ezzy, don't shoot your homers.

terrym

Post by terrym » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:29 am

My trainer doesn't shoot the pigeons. Every now and then a young inexperienced pup will catch and kill one but that is not something we want. We use starter pistols to train the dogs to gunshots but when it's time to kill birds for the dogs then it's off to the hunting preserves. One word of advice, the electronic bird launchers that shoot the birds up from a distance are great tools.
I don't like people who don't like dogs......

Wild Mtn muddy toes Tucker
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=3772