Is it time to shoot birds over my Britt yet?

terrym

Is it time to shoot birds over my Britt yet?

Post by terrym » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:20 am

Hello all, new guy here. I am training my first pointing dog , a 11 mth old male Brittany. He is a pretty solid pointer now on electronically released pigeons. I entered him in his first Hunt test at 10 mths but he bumped a bird in the first feild and caught it mid air. Well never having actually tasted feathers or live crunchies he went pretty wild from that point and didn't pass. We did score an 82 and if he would have duplicated what he up till then had been doing on pigeons would have passed. The judges actually were impressed with his speed and desire. My question now is is it too early to take him to a hunting preserve and actually shoot some birds ( if he points them ) over him? He has been exposed repeatedly to the starter pistols and is not gunshy at all. I don't want to rush the process but am starting to worry about having a 1 yr old dog who has never been hunted over? Should I worry?
I don't like people who don't like dogs......

Wild Mtn muddy toes Tucker
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=3772

Redfishkilla

Re: Is it time to shoot birds over my Britt yet?

Post by Redfishkilla » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:41 am

IMO, If he's sound conditioned and steady enough to let you flush the bird, he's ready.

terrym

Post by terrym » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:48 am

Yeah he's quite comfortable with a 209 starter pistol and I wouldn't shoot any bumped birds only what he actually pointed. I've been told chukars would hold better for a pup that a pheasant?

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:29 am

You want to make dam sure he is steady before you take him to a preserve depending on how good the birds there are you might have a repeat of him catching one and that will just destroy all your work on steady, you've been doing all your work on steady with launchers up till now right ? its time to move away from launchers and go to planted birds with a helper and him on a cc he isn't going to pointing birds in traps when you go hunting, he needs to be on birds that are not getting launched up high and fast, teach him he is still expected to be steady no matter ho fast or slow the bird is.

terrym

Post by terrym » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:38 am

Thanks Gittirdonebritts, good information. I will do some live bird, "out of cage" before going to the preserve. I'm just getting ahead of myself I gues and should realize a good gun dog takes time to develop.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:17 am

No need to be concerned at all Terry, You just don't want to go out and shoot birds . There's a lead up to shooting over a dog.You have a PM
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:40 pm

Terry

Tucker is probably more then ready to be shot over at this point. But remember there are steps of progression to be made so that it is done properly. Don't do it with a bunch of your buddies all at once. (I call this the Croatia effect which can render an eager young pup gun shy in about a hurry) Your intro to the shot gun should ALWAYS involve live birds in flight and you should be sure you have total control of Tucker when you do it (so he himself doesn't go nuts , break away too soon and get himself pummeled with bird shot)
I heard you may have found a training/hunting buddy in MTO4Life (Travis) Get with Travis, follow his lead and Im sure all will be fine for your upcoming hunting season :lol: Small World, eh?
Oh...and all those fantastic remarks about your hunt test experience??? GOOD FOR YOU GUYS! That rocks! Even though you didnt pass the first time down, it's still experience in the bag and you know what you have to work on for the next one.

Oh and one more thing......I still think I kept the wrong puppy :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I kept Mr Pretty Boy Two Shoes and you got Mr Muddy Toes Tucker!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Looking forward to hearing more of your adventures

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:44 pm

PS....a yearling pup that hasnt been hunted over yet is just perfect.....take it slow and steady and all will be fine. Give a call to the house and talk to brian if you wish. He's headed to KS in August for bird camp with last year's pups and Tucker could possibly attend too if you wanted him to. :wink:

terrym

Post by terrym » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:18 pm

Helen !!!!!
Great to hear from you! I was looking at your website and saw "Gator" and showed my kids and they were stunned at how close the two litter mates look. Rest assured I will be listening to your advice. I will be taking some good pictures soon as they will be turning one soon as you know. I think I got the better looking one personally........LoL !!!!! :D I and family are a bunch of sucks so they won't let me send him down to "camp" but trust me we have had a few heated discussions about that. He's a stubborn little bugger but all heart and drive. His breeding sure shows when you snap him off his lead. All the Britt people who saw him at the Hunt Test told me to show him as he's a darn fine looking dog it seems. Priority one though is to turn him into my grouse hunting buddy so that is going to be the focus. Nice to hear from you and I will be calling soon !!
Terry

volraider

Post by volraider » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:05 pm

I wouldn't take him to a preserve unless they have great flying birds. Catching a bird doesn't kill you but catching a bunch will set you back big time in your training.

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:05 am

All the Britt people who saw him at the Hunt Test told me to show him as he's a darn fine looking dog it seems.
Travis planning on trying to get his Jasmine girl finished as a show CH in Canada this summer (she needs like 3 pts) and will be going. YOU SHOULD take Tucker and show him too (or talk Travis into showing him for you if you aren't comfortable the first time around. DO IT DO IT, DO IT!!! Wont affect your grouse training or your hunting buddy one bit...just solidify to all your friends what a beauty he is too! LOOLOLOL Besides...getting a Canadian CH with a dog of Tucker's caliber should be a walk in the park. Most Canadian breeders can only dream of a dog so well put together and beautiful!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Please consider doing it - if only for the experience of it all!!! You might surprise yourself and win it all!!

terrym

Post by terrym » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:24 am

Alright, we'll try and at least get one show in this summer. You're a very convincing woman !!!!! :D