Pigeon Pole

luke0927

Pigeon Pole

Post by luke0927 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:01 pm

Well that's what I would call it, I'm wanting to make some that are portable that I and hook a bird to and use for training with, here's what I was thinking let me know if you can think of something easier. 5 gallon bucket with my PVC pipe sticking out few inches of quickqrete to hold it in the bucket maybe a (sleeve so I can slid the pole in so little easier to transport around), with a cap on top to attach my wire and then, would use some soft twine or nylon that would go on the pigeons foot. What wire would you use maybe some heavy fishing line or masonry string?

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Re: Pigeon Pole

Post by Chukar12 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:05 pm

I just drive a metal stake in the ground and slide the pvc pipe over it, lighter and easier than concrete and a bucket. Masonry lin or parachute cord ties to the top of the pole. I either just half hitch the line on the pigeon leg or if I am not lazy which is rare I put an elastic section and button/spring type adjustable stop

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:13 pm

Much better if the pigeon can't wrap itself around the pole. I use one of the octagonal clothes horse type thing- a -ma- bings ? Pigeon stays out on the end of the horizontal pole. ( woman's description.):)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

larry

Post by larry » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:00 pm

I used an old Fishing pole and reel. Duct taped a metal stake to the handle and but some 30LB test on the reel. Could let out as much line as needed and when not in use reeled the line in.

Onk

Post by Onk » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:21 pm

so I am asuming that this allows a point and flush and bird can go far so the dog keeps interest on it....am I close?
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

larry

Post by larry » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:22 am

Onk wrote:so I am asuming that this allows a point and flush and bird can go far so the dog keeps interest on it....am I close?
Thats about it, also if you fire your starter pistol when the bird gets to the end of the lime you get some steady to shot and fall training.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:35 am

Well I hope Ross isn't upset by this but he posted it on another board and I am sure he wouldn't mind folks seeing it as an example...
This derby is right at the end of its work on the pigeon pole by his description, it is clearly a great dog...and again I hope he doesn't mind my paraphrasing but you might note the look away from the bird after a bit, he is tired of the drills and as Ross points out that is something he will square away in his next step

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hey1qccq ... e=youtu.be
http://thefieldtrialer.com/forum/viewto ... =12&t=1871

tailcrackin

Post by tailcrackin » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:35 am

There is more minuses to pigeon poles, than pluses, usually. When you have dogs, birds, an strings, you usually have a mess. If you watch the video on the work, the video shows alot of negative dog reaction, with pigeon pole bird. You watch dogs reaction, after the initial...or the bird that flew off, he looks excited, and focused. If you watch an focus on the dog, and the pigeon pole bird, he is dang close...if not blinking the bird. That is also disussed on another board, the dog will always tell you what is up, if you listen. If you think on things, the birdthat gets gone, shows alot better dog response than the one used to torment, or tease the dog. That way of presentation, is not a natural, that you will get from any kind of pen, or wild bird, I wonder.....why put a dog in that sort of situation? Dog shows me, that we are on same page, imo, Thanks Jonesy
"Don't make it happen. Get it ready and let it happen"
- Ray Hunt
www.jonesysgundogs.com

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:32 am

tailcrackin wrote:There is more minuses to pigeon poles, than pluses, usually. When you have dogs, birds, an strings, you usually have a mess. If you watch the video on the work, the video shows alot of negative dog reaction, with pigeon pole bird. You watch dogs reaction, after the initial...or the bird that flew off, he looks excited, and focused. If you watch an focus on the dog, and the pigeon pole bird, he is dang close...if not blinking the bird. That is also disussed on another board, the dog will always tell you what is up, if you listen. If you think on things, the birdthat gets gone, shows alot better dog response than the one used to torment, or tease the dog. That way of presentation, is not a natural, that you will get from any kind of pen, or wild bird, I wonder.....why put a dog in that sort of situation? Dog shows me, that we are on same page, imo, Thanks Jonesy
+2
brenda

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:40 pm

I would rather have a bird fly away then swing and go straight at my dogs face tempting her to break so I can get a correction out of the training session. As far as bird contact its good to have them fly away while breaking but when you progress then its about correction and understanding what you are telling them to do. I have had too many birds flush wrong and fly in my dogs face to not train for it....

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:45 pm

I have used it once with success...an unreliable black hearted bit*h I bought at 3 years old. Her training had been suspect and my "fixes" weren't working. I ff'd her and then I used a pigeon pole and drilled...drilled...drilled. Until she would stand with a bird literally walking under her, ...It is true that it may not have been necessary in more capable hands like Jonesy's (said with sincerity) however I got by and made it work. I shoot a lot of wild chukars over her now and she is steady to wtf and she is a competitive little gun dog in brittany trials out here. Where I haven't used it is in dogs I start from square one with, however I do see some very successful trialers use it for proofing.

Onk

Post by Onk » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:51 pm

Thanks for posting the video link Joe. Enjoyed that!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:29 pm

This was posted before and I stated that IMO it can be used successfully with young puppies, but like the wing on a string needs to be progressed passed quickly or skipped entirely. Again just my opinion, I know a few folks have used it with success.

Much like Chukar12 I push a piece of metal rod in the ground, I use rebar, and then just slide you PVC over it. For string I use bailing twin it is very light and durable, and very cheap.

luke0927

Post by luke0927 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:39 am

thanks folks, my plan was to help in STWS training I would come in and whoa the dog out of the scent cone, and use the birds for multiple flushes, just yard training, dog will be 3 this fall already hunts and knows what birds are just going to finish him up. Since I don't have "helper" most of the time (but do have a 4 year old, who can kick around a pigeon on a string for me) it should work for what I need.

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:22 pm

http://www.gundogsonline.com/video/hunt ... ng-dog.htm

I posted this a while back, thought you might enjoy it

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:45 am

Poles work fine for training sessions where you need that bit of control of knowing for sure there's a bird in an area. But you can easily overdo the pole. It's good for training up to a certain point, like getting the dog steady, but it won't be long til you'll need to move on. You'll see the dog learn the game, he'll get sticky and creepy in the area where the pole is, or might start looking less intense on his points/flushes. He knows it's lesson time and starts to anticipate. That's when you have to move on.
Poles can save you some money on birds, But realize that birds are an expensive part of the process and you'll need to shell out at some point.