Soiling Dog Crate

Quailtail

Soiling Dog Crate

Post by Quailtail » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:52 am

Can a dog be trained not puke, "bleep", or pee in his crate when transporting him to the field? I am 25 to 30 minutes from training ground and this dog does does one of the three every time. This happens going to and coming home. The dog is 2 years old and is well traveled.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Re: Soiling Dog Crate

Post by phermes1 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:52 am

Do you walk him really, really good before you leave? Might help a little bit if he's done his business right before leaving. Plus, not feeding him beforehand might help, too. I'm guessing you've already tried both of those suggestions, but that's all I got. :)

Otherwise - as a pup, one of our dogs figured out that she could pee in her crate, pull the crate pad over it, and it wouldn't bother her, so she peed in her crate ALL the time. Simple solution - we removed the crate pad. Having to stand in her own urine a couple of times changed her mind quick. I don't know if that would make a difference in your situation, but it sure did the trick with ours.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:18 am

If the dog is vomiting he has car motion sickness. I can say from experience it is an awful feeling and can cause you to defecate/pee too. ( I didn't).
There are tablets for this that do not cause the dog to be drowsy. Ask the vet.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:22 pm

Quailtail wrote:Can a dog be trained not puke, "bleep", or pee in his crate when transporting him to the field? I am 25 to 30 minutes from training ground and this dog does does one of the three every time. This happens going to and coming home. The dog is 2 years old and is well traveled.
If the dog is "well traveled" & is only doing it to/from the training ground I would venture to guess it's stress related. Do you ever take him to the field to just run & have fun? Or is it only to go up there for high-pressure training where he never gets to enjoy himself?
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

Quailtail

Post by Quailtail » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:31 pm

This dog is broke. His training was completed a year ago. He is being allowed to do what he is supposed to do with little or no correction from me. He has puked, "bleep", or peed everytime he goes in the truck from day one. Air line crate, dog box, trailer, with bedding, without bedding, it makes no difference. Something is going to come out of him.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:14 pm

Was he crate trained as a pup? Does he use a crate in the house or only in the car for travel? Have you ever tried him in the car with out the crate?

If he only gets sick during car travel there is a program for desensitizing this behavior. I am sure you can find a method if you search Google for "desensitizing motion or car sickness in dogs" OR dogs that get car sick. Try different ways to seach.

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:35 pm

I have a female that regularly defecates in her kennel on the way to the field, nothing you can really do if you walk em and they still do it. I just put either straw or wood chips in the kennel. It makes clean up easier.

Linescreamer

Post by Linescreamer » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:25 pm

Quailtail wrote:This dog is broke. His training was completed a year ago. He is being allowed to do what he is supposed to do with little or no correction from me. He has puked, "bleep", or peed everytime he goes in the truck from day one. Air line crate, dog box, trailer, with bedding, without bedding, it makes no difference. Something is going to come out of him.
By that responce; can we assume that he will do it ANYTIME he travels in the crate? Even to the local market? If the answer is yes, and he is crate trained then -> you have a dog with motion sickness. :(

Onk

Post by Onk » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:00 pm

Try Benadryl, not sure thats how its spelled, child dose. He will be too tired to hunt or run but at least you can see if it is motion related! Might ask a vet first about the dose, don't take my word on it!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:05 pm

Not necessarily motion sickness but just might be a nervous reaction or excitement about getting to go to the field. I have seen it several times and have no idea how you correct it other than drugs.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:22 am

Onk wrote:Try Benadryl, not sure thats how its spelled, child dose. He will be too tired to hunt or run but at least you can see if it is motion related! Might ask a vet first about the dose, don't take my word on it!
BENADRYL is for allergies and yes it would be a child dose but not effective for this situation..talk to the vet for anti nausea meds or they may give you an over the counter option..there are meds to stop nausea in dogs that will help, they also prescribe them for dogs being shipped by plane..DIMENHYDRINATE is used for motion sickness so make sure to ask the vet for the dose according to your dog and the weight of your dog, also make sure to mention to the vet when you get to your destination you want your dog to be active because it will be hunting, you dont want the dog to sleep in the field so the dose has to be low but effective :D ....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Onk

Post by Onk » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:28 am

Benadryl is also used for motion sickness such as flying when traveling with kids. Our doc always said it was the cheapest motion sickness med on the market, plus the kid would sleep most the trip making it very relaxing on the parents! He was right! :lol:
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:30 am

Onk wrote:Benadryl is also used for motion sickness such as flying when traveling with kids. Our doc always said it was the cheapest motion sickness med on the market, plus the kid would sleep most the trip making it very relaxing on the parents! He was right! :lol:
really?? ive never heard of that before..we use GRAVOL which is for motion sickness and it can indeed knock you out but its specifically for motion sickness..i suffer from VERTIGO and could not live without the stuff when i get a spell of the vertigo coming on (you feel like you are on the tea cup rides at DISNEY :| )..i have 1 daughter that needs a GRAVOL as soon as we get in the car or she will be throwing up within a half an hour :( i would agree that BENEDRYL causes drowsiness, its definitley a side effect of the drug but used for motion sickness ive never heard of..maybe thats why my dad drank rye and coke until he passed out, he was just trying to treat his motion sickness :lol: ....ruth :D
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:16 am

Benedryl has a seditive effect as part of its way of dealing with an allergy. Many people use it for a sleeping pill because of that.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

stlgsp

Post by stlgsp » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:56 am

I have a dog that does this, a Vet friend figured it was true motion sickness and recommended Bonine, it's like Dramamine but doesn't cause drowzyness. He's about 63 pounds and I give him one tablet 30 minutes before he he gets in the car. It can be found at most drug stores in the section with the other motion sickness medicines. He has gotten better so I'm hoping he'll eventually grow out of it.