Deer Chaser - no more?

KFhunter

Deer Chaser - no more?

Post by KFhunter » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:30 pm

I always knew my dog was excited about deer, she's never had a chance to chase one but she'll bark in the yard at them if they're on the other side of the fence or nearby. I always call her back into the house.

today she had a chance to chase after a deer while I was working on quartering, fetching and heal. I had an Ecollar on her - soon as I seen she was for sure chasing the deer I lit her up on the maximun setting of the ecollar and fried her for a couple seconds. It stopped her dead in her tracks, she was screaming and yelping then bee-lined back to me full throttle.

I acted like nothing happened and just cast her off on birds nothing changed in my demeanor, she shortened her range but in about 10 minutes she was as normal.

do you all think this one episode would break a normal dog? Or might I need to repeat this a time or two?

gmanksu

Re: Deer Chaser - no more?

Post by gmanksu » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:44 pm

I would keep the e-collar handy just in case, they are animals not robots and she is a curious pup as well!

KFhunter

Post by KFhunter » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:41 pm

Ok good, I hate to fry her like that but deer chasers have a very short life span around here

If I didn't have the Ecoller who knows how far she'd have gone, I think I'd have been hunting for her ahwile she was really going!
that and there's been a cougar hanging around in that area too, It watched my dad mow the field for a long time and that was right where this chase happened.

I've already had to keep off one big cougar off her - damm things :evil: too bad we can't hound hunt them anymore.

I plan on killing as many cougars as legally possible this year, I think up to 3

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:02 pm

I would expect it will probly take more than one.... ive never personally seen a dog broke off of deer that easily. Your story more or less mirrors mine.
The first time i burned him up and things stopped immediately. The second time it was obvious that he wanted to chase them and he thought about it for a second before chasing,then when he finally made the decision i let him chase for a few and cooked him. Since then he has had a couple of opportunities but has not made chase. I happen to live in an area where deer are about as common as cattle on a dairy farm.
When I have a dog that is a suspected deer chaser they wear a collar until I am 100% sure they will run through a herd with out batting an eye.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

mudhunter

Post by mudhunter » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:19 pm

You did right! Depends on the dog though if he cured. I had one that would look the other way if he saw deer after a few sessions like you described, he wouldn't literally turn his head away from the deer and avoid them completely. I have another that has been fried for years and still can't help himself when a whitetail gets up in front of him, I shocked him once for chasing a deer and he stopped chasing that one and found another in the herd and chased that one!

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:04 pm

mudhunter wrote: I have another that has been fried for years and still can't help himself when a whitetail gets up in front of him, I shocked him once for chasing a deer and he stopped chasing that one and found another in the herd and chased that one!
Sounds like my buddies dog!
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

jlowery

Post by jlowery » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:59 am

Had a huge rabbit in the yard last night coming back from some late evening yard work, On WHOA!!! at that, When i released them from the truck, the pup was in full stride. I LIT HIM UP!!! and back in the house we went.... Thank you E-collar. Good end to a good training day. I finally have that Setter stopping at my side just with the collar, and i can keep on awalkin.

north country guy

Post by north country guy » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:43 pm

This Seems To Put A End To The DEER PROBLEM :twisted: I Learned This From A Old Hound Man . If You Got Any Dog That Wont Stop Running Deer You Get Yourself A 50 Gallon Barrel . Put A Deer Hide Inside, And The Dog. Put The Lid On And Roll It Down A Hill On A Gavel Road >> PROBLEM OVER !!!!!!!!!