Puppy questions

cullenwruth

Puppy questions

Post by cullenwruth » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:38 am

First question: I take my pup out frequently and usually pees and sometimes poops. But usually she will pee and then in a little while I'll find poop in the dining room. Is there a solution? Take out more frequently maybe?

Second: Is it normal for a pup to sound like the loudest jack rabbit distress call you've ever heard when you kennel her for the night? She will whine insanely loud for about 30 minutes then stop for 30 and then fire back up. Thanks!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Puppy questions

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:24 am

On the potty breaks maybe keep more a watch on her in the house and not take her out as much...then when out leave her out a bit longer play with her get her to do more that should help her eliminate better

as for the whining ...yeah some are harder to crate train then others
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:48 am

try timing bringing her out after she eats and give her time to go, some people bring a pup out let them pee then immediately pick them up or call them into the house assuming they are done..give her more time to sniff around and go poop..for the crate training, do you put her in there at all besides at bed time? if not try putting her in there at times throughout the day when you are home so she gets use to being in there at all different times and not just when you go to bed..OR if you are keeping her in there alot in the day maybe she has slept so much in the day she has too much energy come bed time and wants out to exercise..one tip i would add that i did wrong with my first pup i crate trained was i let him sleep by my feet throughout the day in the living room so he got use to "sleeping with me" and when it was bedtime and i would put him in the crate he would cry like mad because he wanted to sleep by my feet instead of alone in the crate..so make sure you put her in there if you see her falling asleep so she learns the crate is where she goes to sleep..also make sure she gets lots of exercise in the day/evening so she is ready to rest at night..good luck...ruth :D
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:22 am

How old?
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:41 pm

birddog1968 wrote: Cullenwruth- you might try a squirt bottle for the whining, take control of it now and let pup know its not acceptable. Be Firm your pup will respect you for it.
umm totally different issues birddog, time to pay attention to the differences in the issues before advising me what i should do.. i dont have issues with my pup at night crying in her crate every half hour :roll:..as i suggested to the OP i made sure my pup got out to exercise in the evening and i didnt let her sleep outside of the crate throughout the day so she got use to the fact that the crate was the acceptable place to sleep so she began going into it on her own therefore the whining stopped..and how did i stop it quickly? cause i learned from a previous pup i had years before that did the same thing.. because i have an issue i needed help on with jersey doesnt mean i dont know enough to help out and give advice to others but im glad to hear youve had all the answers and never needed help from anyone regarding issues with your dog so you are so much better at giving advice..i wish you would have stuck to what you said about regularly thinking about posting on training issues and let others with vastly more knowledge post on my thread.. by the way do you give any other advice besides using a squirt bottle :? maybe the OP should use it to get the pup to poo outside too, where was your awesome advice on that issue :D ...ruth

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:17 pm

Like to hear yourself talk much :roll:
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:29 pm

just wait until a member on here posts they are having trouble with their pup or dog barking and they just cant seem to get them to stop and i chime in that i recommend using the TT collar :o me, giving advice on how to stop barking based on first hand experience the outrage :roll: ...ruth

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:55 pm

birddog1968 wrote:Except you missed the golden opportunity to take control of your dog....at this point he owns you and he knows it :lol:

I strapped a collar to my dog so now Im an expert :lol:
From what I read, the barking was part of a larger issue?

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:58 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:
birddog1968 wrote:Except you missed the golden opportunity to take control of your dog....at this point he owns you and he knows it :lol:

From what I read, the barking was part of a larger issue?
I agree....

Sorry OP for my part in the derailment, i knew better but posted anyway :oops:
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:30 pm

Hear that everyone if youve used a bark collar to stop your dog from barking your not as much of an expert as birddog the pro dog trainer with his squirt bottle :lol: and now you got casey on your side, wow your batting a thousand, what a team you 2 make :mrgreen: :lol: ....ruth

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:50 pm

cullenwruth wrote:First question: I take my pup out frequently and usually pees and sometimes poops. But usually she will pee and then in a little while I'll find poop in the dining room. Is there a solution? Take out more frequently maybe?

Second: Is it normal for a pup to sound like the loudest jack rabbit distress call you've ever heard when you kennel her for the night? She will whine insanely loud for about 30 minutes then stop for 30 and then fire back up. Thanks!
from the jack rabbit in distress do you mean a shorthair pup in a crate call??? Go over to the freaking dog pull it out of the crate by the scruff of the neck say no.... and shake it a few seconds (not the whole dog just the skin on the neck)... put dog back in crate and leave the room repeat if necessary.....

When you let the dog out don't say anything and when it starts peeing use your command.... praise and play then it will prob take a dump and praise again.... after a few weeks when you say potty the dog should go pee and help you petty train a little better.

Don't worry about the above statements as we all have people on this forum we will call out from time to time because of background information.

Edit for autocorrect spelling...

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:18 pm

First question: any peeing/pooping in the house is totally your fault. Not the dog's fault. The pup doesn't know she shouldn't pee or poop in the house, you need to teach her that. To successfully do that, you must have 100% of your attention on the pup when she is inside and not in her crate. I mean literally, eyes on the pup at all times. You will see her "tells" for when she has to go and you can pick her up and get her outside - or let her walk to the door if you've caught her in time. There is a lot of literature on how to pottytrain a pup on the internet. You just need to make sure she has ample opportunities to go outside with you and don't bring her in until she has gone to your satisfaction. You won't need to keep this up for the life of the dog, just for the first couple of months. Absolutely don't let the puppy out of your sight when she is loose in the house - ever, until she is reliable.

Second question: make the crate a GREAT place to be. Pup eats in the crate, rests in the crate, gets treats in the crate. Is in the crate whether you are home or not (not just when you leave) and during the day and at night. I'm not saying leave pup in there all the time, just that pup needs to be in there at different times so she is used to being in the crate at different times.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:38 pm

birddog1968 wrote:
GUNDOGS wrote:
birddog1968 wrote:PS I do handle and work with dogs for a living, thanks.
some very knowledgeable people who recommend the use of a bark collar handle and work with dogs for a living as well, your welcome.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:17 pm

RoostersMom wrote:First question: any peeing/pooping in the house is totally your fault. Not the dog's fault. The pup doesn't know she shouldn't pee or poop in the house, you need to teach her that. To successfully do that, you must have 100% of your attention on the pup when she is inside and not in her crate. I mean literally, eyes on the pup at all times. You will see her "tells" for when she has to go and you can pick her up and get her outside - or let her walk to the door if you've caught her in time. There is a lot of literature on how to pottytrain a pup on the internet. You just need to make sure she has ample opportunities to go outside with you and don't bring her in until she has gone to your satisfaction. You won't need to keep this up for the life of the dog, just for the first couple of months. Absolutely don't let the puppy out of your sight when she is loose in the house - ever, until she is reliable.

Second question: make the crate a GREAT place to be. Pup eats in the crate, rests in the crate, gets treats in the crate. Is in the crate whether you are home or not (not just when you leave) and during the day and at night. I'm not saying leave pup in there all the time, just that pup needs to be in there at different times so she is used to being in the crate at different times.
Good stuff. Keep in mind, too, poop takes a little more time. Run her around a little and try again.

And never, ever, drag a dog out of a crate to punish it, or punish it and stuff it in a crate.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:14 pm

There is some good advice above. Just remember they (the pups) are trying to "Train" you too
Steve

jcorcoran

Post by jcorcoran » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:16 pm

Cajun is right, the deuce takes time. Don't rush it with a puppy. It seems like my dog has to run a little before pooping every time. Watch your dogs timing also, mine is like a clock, she eats and within 20 minutes she poops. If she runs around, it happens faster.

The crate should be a safe place for the dog, don't punish her there. For whining, a good smack and rattle of the door and a firm "quiet" command has worked for me. Be careful not to let the dog out for whining, otherwise they will have trained you.

Munster

Post by Munster » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:26 pm

The crate thing, I wouldnt give ANY attention to the pup negitive or other wise. Just like with children, negative attention is still attention IMO.
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

Swagg

Post by Swagg » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:42 pm

Did you ever get a chance to post where you keep the crate at in your house? I tried to read them all but some turned into off topic books and a refuse to read another one of :wink: For my pup I found it best to put the crate in my room. I know some well tell you not to do this, but I would not want her to sleep anywhere else. I never had to deal with a night of whining and she has slept in her crate since day one. She likes knowing where I am sleeping and I like knowing what is going on with her. She will kennel on command and never makes a sound when in there, unless I turn her radio onto something other the country :twisted: She often goes into her crate to sleep on her own as well.

As far as potty training nothing beats a good routine. Puppy's seem to be bowl-movement creatures of habit. Try to pay specific attention to the clock when she does go. I found that with mine it was about the same time everyday no matter when she ate or drank.

jmsgunner

Post by jmsgunner » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:06 am

Where is the crate when you kennel her up for the night? Perhaps moving it into your bedroom would be a bit more comforting for the puppy.
Jackie & Gunner

Impressive Gewehr von Catskill - GSP - 4/19/2010
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3615

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:34 am

in all fairness the posts i was responding to have been deleted and rightfully so but it looks like im replying to certain quotes im not..i would rather ALL the quotes in that useless conversation be deleted then only some..jmo...ruth

gspmike

Post by gspmike » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:52 pm

Im not trying to hijack this thread, but i just got my 8 week old gsp pup yesterday and am starting to crate train. During the day, ive been pulling the crate out to the living room where i am. I started to let him fall asleep on his doggy bed outside the crate, and once he fell asleep, id pick him up and put him in the crate. He'd cry, whine, howl for a minute then he'd settle down and go to sleep. At night i put the crate in the bedroom with me and i when i put him in, he cried, whined and howled for maybe 30 seconds and down he went. I try not to talk to him or anything when he fusses (although im sure i have). Im very happy with the way its going so far. Just a few minutes ago i said "kennel" and put him in and he onlhy fussed for a second, and not as intense as he has before. I've also been feeding him in there as well.