TT prong length??

terrym

TT prong length??

Post by terrym » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:59 pm

I have been using the short prongs on m y Britt but sometimes wonder if the long one would be better? He seems t have a fair bit of hair where the collar sits. Is the the longer prong "too" invasive?
I don't like people who don't like dogs......

Wild Mtn muddy toes Tucker
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=3772

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: TT prong length??

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:02 pm

as long as you have the collar high up on the neck and very snug where the contacts make good contact that is all that counts...low and loose is where you will run into problems
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:33 am

My mentor always said "throw away the short points, they're worthless" so I do. I just use the long ones. Never had issues with them not working. I hunt all short haired dogs.

Ranger351

Post by Ranger351 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:47 am

Ok so I have a tri tronics g3 sport I think it is. I have used it with the long prongs on my gsp. I noticed he doesnt even budge if its on less than 2.5 but the one time I cranked it up on him he freaked out (long story but didnt just do it to see what he would do, I couldn't break him off another smaller dog so I zapped him). I did notice he has a lot of loose skin around his underside of his neck and its flappy I guess is a way to explain it. Any ways when I used the long prongs I noticed he was very red and irritated so I stopped use and thought I should order the short prongs. So is this just a waste of money then? What Would you suggest?

P.S. sorry not trying to steal the thread just fit inline with my question.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:04 am

Ranger351 wrote:Ok so I have a tri tronics g3 sport I think it is. I have used it with the long prongs on my gsp. I noticed he doesnt even budge if its on less than 2.5 but the one time I cranked it up on him he freaked out (long story but didnt just do it to see what he would do, I couldn't break him off another smaller dog so I zapped him). I did notice he has a lot of loose skin around his underside of his neck and its flappy I guess is a way to explain it. Any ways when I used the long prongs I noticed he was very red and irritated so I stopped use and thought I should order the short prongs. So is this just a waste of money then? What Would you suggest?

P.S. sorry not trying to steal the thread just fit inline with my question.
Did you get the collar new? Most come with the shorter prongs on it..the longer prongs are generally fr the labs that have the thicker coat but neither here nor there..I would check the prongs and the strap for any rough spots and that the collar is snug and tight where it has little chance at all to rub and rotate around..this is the first thing that comes to mind

Next question is how are you putting the collar on..Most of the time I see where the collar is not properly put on it needs to be snug as close to the top of the neck as possible .. If it is not properly snugged down and high on the neck you will run in to the collar not making proper contact and o from no stimulation to a almost shorting out effect to where the dog has the head turned and no connection to turning the collar up head turns and all of a sudden dog goes from feeling nothing to getting juiced..also with the collar not being snug then the collar can rub back and forth causing irritation specially if there is any dust and dirt in the dogs coat.

As for the dog not breaking off going on a chase...Need to be careful when correcting dogs around other dogs as even small dogs can turn and get to be a bully when they think they are making another dog yelp..This is where I would go back to some yard work basics with the check cord and establish here means here ...
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:22 am

RoostersMom wrote:My mentor always said "throw away the short points, they're worthless" so I do. I just use the long ones. Never had issues with them not working. I hunt all short haired dogs.
+1 on the long prongs. Quit using the short ones a long time ago, got tired of the inconsistent stimulations. The collar still needs to worn high and snug on the neck though. I wouldn't recommend the long prongs if the collar is to be worn for an extended period of time. Irritation can occur with the short prongs as well, in either case you should monitor the dogs necks for skin sensitivity.

Coveyrise64
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

terrym

Post by terrym » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:40 am

I also use the TriTronics Sport Basic G3 with the short prongs and many times I feel it isn't working. I guess I have to first try it higher and tighter.
I don't like people who don't like dogs......

Wild Mtn muddy toes Tucker
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=3772

Ranger351

Post by Ranger351 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:42 am

No collar is used and being borrowed from a kind gentleman off of here. I have had the collar off for a few weeks now and all is cleared up so I'll try again with it and make sure I follow the advice and see how it goes. How do you check for proper tightness? Like the regular collar I've heard is being able to slide two fingers underneath comfortably but not looser.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:59 am

Ranger351 wrote:No collar is used and being borrowed from a kind gentleman off of here. I have had the collar off for a few weeks now and all is cleared up so I'll try again with it and make sure I follow the advice and see how it goes. How do you check for proper tightness? Like the regular collar I've heard is being able to slide two fingers underneath comfortably but not looser.
You want it as snug as it will go so you can't easily get your finger under it..if you can easily run your fingers under it it is way to loose

Ranger351

Post by Ranger351 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:02 am

OK thanks. Was just worried about it being too tight but I'll give it a try.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:29 am

Ranger351 wrote:OK thanks. Was just worried about it being too tight but I'll give it a try.
To get it to tight you would really have to wrench the collar strap over..bring strap to as smug as it will go with put excessive pressure and then gently reach the buckle to the next hole.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:42 pm

Another plus for the long prongs. That's all I ever use on my Shorthairs.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Linescreamer

Post by Linescreamer » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:27 am

I have no problems with the short prongs on my Vizsla. The collar is always high and tight, placed on the side of the neck. Not under the chin or behind the head. When the collar is on for more then a few hours, I will put in on the other side. :D