whoa breaking

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: whoa breaking

Post by Sharon » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:00 pm

I don't really use the words- "whoa, break". Do you mean steady to flush and shot? The earliest dog I had was 10 months when he decided to hold his birds.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Dashin Gun Dogs

Post by Dashin Gun Dogs » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:33 pm

If you mean "whoa" training, then I would say it takes on average about 3-weeks. It has taken me as long as 6-weeks to get some "whoa" trained.
What do I considered "whoa broke"? When the dog is running in any field and as far away as 150yrds, and I say "whoa" (without the use of an e-collar). The dog stops and don't move until I release them. That is "whoa" broke. It is also the best life saving command there is. I use the "sit" command the same way with my labs.
Chris Andrews
Dashin Gun Dogs
www.dashingundogs.com
"Developing enjoyable and obedient companions"

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:05 am

I think putting a time line on training for any behavior is a bad idea. If one person is a motivated retiree he will have more time to train then even a pro who will have to attend to many dogs. And some one who needs to travel to train and works a full time job will find it a lot harder. Take your time with every step and make sure its right and enjoy it while it is there.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:56 am

I'm not whoa "breaking" them in the same sense of the word as I used too....

If I think one would benefit from more structured "breaking" i will do that but now we just work on getting them honest on their birds and teach whoa at that point. Then its quickly on to Stop to flush. Takes anywhere from 3 weeks to how ever long it takes. Most come around really quick 3weeks or so.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Retiredbirddogman

Post by Retiredbirddogman » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:39 pm

IMO - the dog will answer the question on how long, after you decide to what level you want to take her/him. As others mentioned the dog stopping at 150 yards with no e-collar on is much different than stopping in the yard with an e-collar. My one year old GSP is steady to wing and shot, has had flushed birds land close to her, and stood her point, (my training mistake). She will stop in the yard running free and will stop in the field (but she has the collar on in case reinforcement is needed) but will she stop at 150 yards with no ecollar.... I Don't know, I won't give her the chance to need the correction without having the ability to make it at this age.... Is she whoa broke? Some would say no, partially, not fully etc.
That is why IMO it is a matter of what is satisfactory to you and how quickly that dog learns. Trainer skills come into account as well, but that is another discussion.
I know, I know "whoa broke is whoa broke"...... how about chasing a female in heat? I am whoa broke. ;o)
Good luck.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:09 pm

4dabirds wrote:I think putting a time line on training for any behavior is a bad idea. If one person is a motivated retiree he will have more time to train then even a pro who will have to attend to many dogs. And some one who needs to travel to train and works a full time job will find it a lot harder. Take your time with every step and make sure its right and enjoy it while it is there.
+1. IMO, you can't set a time limit on it. There are just too many variables involved.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

ROX-L

Post by ROX-L » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:42 pm

For those of you having success in three weeks. What method(s) were you using?