Where to Start?

CoachG

Where to Start?

Post by CoachG » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:21 pm

I will try to keep it short. I obtained two 2 yr. old GSP’s that have great pedigrees (Heavy Moesgaard’s, including Rhythm and Blues; as well as Crosswind Truckin Fritz), but have not been trained. I have had them for a little over a month now and haven’t done any heavy training. I have taken them on a lot of walks through the fields with no training involved other than “come” a little. The dogs are timid, but very friendly and have gotten used to me. I think they are ready to get into some formal training and was wondering where to start? They don’t seem to have a high prey drive, but I have had a pigeon in front of them in a cage and one seems to want to “get at it”. I appreciate any advice that I may get, thanks in advance!

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Re: Where to Start?

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:54 pm

In general, you treat them like puppies. First steps: Make them your best buddies and get them bird crazy. No "training" till that's accomplished.

volraider

Post by volraider » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:01 pm

Where are you located? There's people from everywhere on this board and most are willing to help.

Brian

CoachG

Post by CoachG » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:10 pm

I am located in Northeast Georgia, and I figured that's where I needed to go. I have a few pigeons and access to more and I will try and get them as bird crazy as I can.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:00 am

Don't forget about making them your buddies. Make them other folks' buddies too. Socialize the heck out of them.

If you decide that you want pro help, Rick and Brenda are close to you. http://www.walnuthillgsps.us/ .

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:28 am

And my advice is to work them seperately. YOu will have rouble if they are worked together as they reinforce each other and they on't really need to listen to you.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

CoachG

Post by CoachG » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:38 am

Thanks for all the helpful info. I would love to have the funds to take them to a pro, but unfortunately that is not an option at this time, so I will do the best I can with what I have. I will work them separately and do my best socialize them as best I can. One question, they are two years old and how effective is socialization at this age and what is the best method to get this accomplished other than just taking them everywhere I can.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:51 am

If you can interact with them, one at a time, at home, do it. Get the family involved. Take a walk. Sit on the porch swing with them and scratch their ears. Play a game of fetch. If you can have them in the house, watch some TV together. I'm not saying that those activities are speical, they're just a setting for people to interfact with the dog.

If they've been kept together most of the time and if they've been ignored some, they're bonded with, and focused on, each other. They need to bond with and focus on you.

While I'm not a big fan of taking the "nothing in life is free" approach to extremes, you might read up on that and get some ideas.

ROX-L

Post by ROX-L » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:35 pm

I have two GSPs that are 6 months old. They are a handful! I wish I would have started training them separate from the get go. I was hoping that they could learn from each other, but it's been a nightmare. I say sit and one sits. Then I work on the other one sitting and the first one gets up and walks around. :x Do not make my mistake! I have created aggrivated pups and an aggrevated trainer over and over. Now I'm trying to separate and they just wonder where the other dog is. I pretty much have to start all over. Glad I found this forum.