How to play

t-setter

How to play

Post by t-setter » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:59 pm

This may be a stupid question, but I've often read that at the end of each training session you should "play" with your dog. What type of play is being done?

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Re: How to play

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:35 pm

I almost went sideways on this post, but I'll keep it serious.

We throw a "fun bumper" when we're done with a session of hard work. For the bird work, we still throw a dummy or a dead bird (or my hat if I've forgotten to bring anything to throw). My pups love to retrieve, so anything they can bring back is cool with them.

tabcha63

Post by tabcha63 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:42 pm

New to this whole training game. Ive often wondered that question too. Ive never done any play sessions just cause I was worried I would screw something up (yea I feel about as much pressure as the dog sometimes :roll: )I also read somewhere not to use and "commands" during the play session.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:54 pm

When we are done we play jumping into the kennel to go home. :) Real playing is done at another time.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:17 pm

I'm with Sharon. We don't play with bumpers. When we are done working, I give Kona a game of chase. She loves to run the backyard and it may be hard to believe with me owning a pointer, but I seem to tire out before her.

Joe

Alcona

Post by Alcona » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:56 am

From what i've experienced I would say it isn't so much about playing with the pup at the end of the session, but mainly to end it on a postive note with positive praise and what not, I was told just end it on a non-challenging(to the dog) simple command like come or sit, i've done that, but sometimes i end it with another easy retrieve or two with no other commands thrown in the mix, whatever leaves her wanting more at the end.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:34 am

t-setter,
Actually play training with young Setter pups is very important, we play train all our young gun dogs with their retrieving and swimming disciplines, beginning as young as we can. The play training is done until the pup starts to get bored, remember a pup has a small attention span so play training only lasts a short time, but is repeated often.
RGD/Dave

Heston our latest Ryman pup with one of his play retrieving toys.

Green

Post by Green » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:44 am

When Riley and I are done training for the day, I sit down on the ground and let him crawl onto my lap for a little petting/cuddle time.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:02 am

I am in the same camp with Sharon above. If I am actually training the dogs start and end on the chain gang or in the kennel. Even if I only leave them there for 5 minutes I want some semblance of lasting discipline in their mind. All training should end on a positive note, success for the dog if you will...and play in my opinion should not over shadow that.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:55 am

Come on now, admit it the pup found your binky pil :lol: low.
Heston our latest Ryman pup with one of his play retrieving toys.
Image[/quote]
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

bumper52

Post by bumper52 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:27 pm

I believe even training sessions should be play....keep them short, simple and above all....TEACH....as far as actual play sessions, I have labs....we throw fun bumpers, even play tug of war. Never really has been a problem or caused undesireable habits BUT my pups learn a release command early in their lives. For example, command "heel", make sure to enforce it.....then say "OK" when over. This acts as a release command in a sense. Dogs quickly pick up on this and begin early to differentiate between work and play

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:31 pm

I thinkit depends on what kind of training you are doing.

If you are doing yardwork, especially witha younger dog, some romping at the end of a successful session is a great idea.

I do yardwork with my olkder dogs as well, mostly as reminders and tune-ups to kinda get their attention. If I have had to "get on" one of the older dogs because they were blowing me off, I will give them some time in the kennel to think about it, then call them out, do one rep of the yardwork and when they do it right, I praise them and then initiate play, even roughhousing sometimes.

If we are doing field work, especially birdwork...there is no play. A pat or two on the flank and maybe a "good dog" when the dog does the job right and that is about it. The birds are all the reward the dog needs. At the end of the session, I will call the dog up on me and give it an ear scratch, then put it up. I want the dog to remember doing it right in the field and that I was hapopy with them... until I take the dog out again.

RayG

yukonjasper

Post by yukonjasper » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:14 pm

As a newbie, I've asked the same question about what is within bounds for a play session. I was told, no squeeky toys, no tug of war and nothing leaves your hands unless it is to be brought back under controlled conditions with commands and discipline.

That really limits the ways you can run a dog without always training them. If you keep your training sessions with bumpers short, then you are relying completely on walks to keep a dog in shape. My dog would have to walk 6-7 hours a day to satisfy his energy level.

in what context, if any, can you use tennis balls or Chuckit sticks? Can you use a large ball (basketball/soccer ball) and kick it around for them to chase?

I get the idea of ending on a good note and not confusing play and work, but how about when you just want to play to run some energy off. What can you do to run energy off a dog that won't conpromise their training?

Sorry if that is a series of dumb questions, just had to ask.
Spectamur Agendo
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum

bumper52

Post by bumper52 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:36 am

do a google search for "dog road work" great conditioning...also helps condition the pads....just use common sense when starting....like training an athlete

yukonjasper

Post by yukonjasper » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:19 pm

I appreciate the suggestion, but I am not going to take up jogging or hop on my bike and go for a 4 mile ride every morning. What I'm looking for is a way to go to the park by my house, have the dog run a lot to get tired and then we go home - 20 minutes is what could work. Not saying I couldn't use the exercise, but I don't have the time to do it. I know, go to bed earlier so you can get up earlier - not a good solution - circumstances don't allow for that.

Can you use a ChuckIt and not screw up a dog that has been trained to retrieve? if so what do I need to know about how to do it?
Spectamur Agendo

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:22 pm

yukonjasper wrote:I appreciate the suggestion, but I am not going to take up jogging or hop on my bike and go for a 4 mile ride every morning. What I'm looking for is a way to go to the park by my house, have the dog run a lot to get tired and then we go home - 20 minutes is what could work. Not saying I couldn't use the exercise, but I don't have the time to do it. I know, go to bed earlier so you can get up earlier - not a good solution - circumstances don't allow for that.

Can you use a ChuckIt and not screw up a dog that has been trained to retrieve? if so what do I need to know about how to do it?
If you can make that work, that's great. Wouldn't work for me. After an hour of hard running , my 3 look at me as if to say, "Is that all?" when I head back to the car.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

yukonjasper

Post by yukonjasper » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:29 am

The real question is whether you can throw something and have it retrieved just for fun instead of having to Heel Sit throw release deliver to hand repeat?

I know that the drilling is good for the dog, however I wanted to have something very physical for him to do without it being a drill. Just fun. I have a retired neighbor who comes in the middle of the day and walks him and would love to run him also. He had been throwing sticks and even found one of the training bumpers and had been throwing that for fun without me knowing about it - it eventually lead to a break down of the dogs retrieving discipline so much so that I had to send to be FF because I found out too late and the damage had been done. If I can direct him to use the Chuckit and it won't throw off the dogs training, that would be great.

Is it possible? How do properly introduce it as play and separate it from work?

I am searching for a way to run the dog that will allow it to be done for fun without interfering with the training. I wanted something that would be low impact for my retired neighbor and I.
Spectamur Agendo