retriever training program for GSP?

Vaoutdoors42

retriever training program for GSP?

Post by Vaoutdoors42 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:15 pm

I am getting a GSP shortly but do not do any upland hunting (live in Virginia) and will be using the dog for mostly waterfowl (duck- more geese, dove) and also to blood trail wounded deer. Do you know if there is any programs which tailor to a GSP for retrieving? or do I just pick a standard retriever training program? I do plan on completing the Natural Ability test and go from there.....just wanted to get some opinions.

I know some who will say I should of gotten a lab but a GSP was always going to be the dog for me and they are very versatile as I am learning through NAVHDA.

Thanks

Dashin Gun Dogs

Re: retriever training program for GSP?

Post by Dashin Gun Dogs » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:26 pm

If this is a puppy, you will have awhile to research different FF methods. It isn't as important about the breed of the dog but more about the attitude and age. Not many advertised methods of FF, due to PETA groups complaining about pain. Hopefully, you can find a successful pro in your area to help you through the process.
Chris Andrews
Dashin Gun Dogs
www.dashingundogs.com
"Developing enjoyable and obedient companions"

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:48 am

If you live in Virginia your not far from Potomac NAVHDA Chapter, its alot guys in the club that waterfowl including me that are willing to help. We also hold seminairs with a reteiving PRO once a year. As far as FF the guy you need to talk to is Mark Whalen he runs FF clinics
for are club and is an active member and NAHVDA Judge. His program is as complete as they come, FF really never ends. Half of the testing in NAVHDA is water work with ducks...I would like to get into the blood trailing also...Hope to see ya at the next training day

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:45 am

Vaoutdoors42 wrote:I am getting a GSP shortly but do not do any upland hunting (live in Virginia) and will be using the dog for mostly waterfowl (duck- more geese, dove) and also to blood trail wounded deer. Do you know if there is any programs which tailor to a GSP for retrieving? or do I just pick a standard retriever training program?
Depends. As I noted elsewhere shorthairs (and other versatile breeds) are now eligible for AKC retriever hunt tests. You can't go wrong with NAHVDA but you probably can't go anywhere near the top level of retriever tests with NAVHDA training exclusively, either. "Half the testing in NAVHDA may be water work," but it's a single marked retrieve, steadiness *in* a blind, and a duck search that doesn't compute with AKC tests. (Which require multiple blind retrieves on land and water, multiple marks land and water, honoring another working dog, and last but not least heeling the dog off lead from the blind to the line.)

With the AKC's inclusion of shorthairs, you can probably catch on with one of several retriever clubs in the area (wouldn't waste my time with the show-motivated Lab Club of the Potomac, however) in addition to NAVHDA's Potomac Chapter as recommended above.

As for a program, Evan Graham can advise (and maybe pitch) one, and you also might get Volume 1 of Mike Lardy's articles from Retriever Journal from 15 years ago - I trained four "non-traditional" retrieving breeds via his insight before using it working with my first field trial Labs.

MG

Vaoutdoors42

Post by Vaoutdoors42 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:26 pm

Thanks for the information guys.... I actually have been out to a training day (Potomac Chapter) and it was very cool. I didnt have a dog but was invited about by my breeder at the time, Matt Smith (I worked with his dog Aldo). I learned alot and am hoping to keep coming out there to learn more. I need to get a training program very soon, so I can get familiar with it. Do you know if they will be meeting September 3rd?

Thanks,

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:16 pm

crackerd
NAVHDA does have double mark reteives ,100 yard blinds across water to land with a duck drag on the far bank, honoring of a working dog at water and alot of lead heeling when you get to the VC level (which they do not have at UT).. When you get to that level you also will need to do overs an backs to get you out of trouble ..Might not be to the level as AKC MH reteiver but its plenty for a great water fowl dog... Are club has been doing alot stuff with reteiver guys too with lining. I my self like this type of testing it seems to lend it self best for hunting situations you dont take as much of the indenpence out of the dog.. Good luck