Early morning training session

proudag08

Early morning training session

Post by proudag08 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:20 am

About to go on my first training session. I'm just watching someone else train their dog today but I'm pumped. I'll report back after!

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Re: Early morning training session

Post by GUNDOGS » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:47 am

have fun!!..i woke up this morning and decided to take JERSEY to the beach for a swim at 6am, it was still dark out obviously and so cool it feel just like a crisp fall morning..i love training in the mornings, i got her some energy out by doing some retrieves and came home to clean her up as we are taking her and our boxer and the kids for the day to AFRICAN LION SAFARI, they have free kennel rentals available in a cool shaded area so off we go, look forward to hearing how your training went :wink: ....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:10 am

Ok gents,

First I want to say a huge thank you for Keith White and Gunner for allowing me to come out and help them train this morning. I had a great time! When we got out there we had a few "technical difficulties" with the launchers and the birds :D but after that it was an awesome time. It was awesome to see all the little things that it takes to have a training session.

Gunner did great for a 7 month old pup and Keith did a great job setting his dog up to succeed. It was very encouraging and I learned a ton! Thanks again Keith, I am sure I'll take you up on your offer to come back sooner rather than later!

I need sotp doing stuff like this because I get MORE EXCITED EACH TIME!!!!!

Keith White

Post by Keith White » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:59 am

Glad you enjoyed it. You are welcome to come with us anytime. I can definitely see the advantage of having a training partner. I'm looking forward to you getting your pup and helping you with your training if I can. Hope you come back out soon.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:02 am

Pleasecalmdown!!! Now that's better. I have found it much easier to think and do things right if I keep calm. Then when I ge home I relive the whole experience and can see where I may have made a mistake or at least figure a way to do some thengs better, while all of the time enjoying the memories.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:28 pm

Ezzy,

With all due respect, I think that my excitement level is actually a good thing. I find it odd that you would discourage someone's excitement. I understand that I cant let me excitement make me skip steps in the development of the pup. However, I think that if the excitement is taken from it and it becomes a job or a burden for me... its time to find another hobby.

I take the task of training a pup very seriously, and I should... however I do this to escape the everyday grind and don't want it to become anything less than exciting.

volraider

Post by volraider » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:54 pm

Ezzy,

With all due respect, I think that my excitement level is actually a good thing. I find it odd that you would discourage someone's excitement. I understand that I cant let me excitement make me skip steps in the development of the pup. However, I think that if the excitement is taken from it and it becomes a job or a burden for me... its time to find another hobby.

I take the task of training a pup very seriously, and I should... however I do this to escape the everyday grind and don't want it to become anything less than exciting.

+1

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:03 pm

I did not mean to tell you to not get excited but what I am saying is not while working the dog. Dogs pick up on things and training will be go a little better for you and a lot better for the pup if you just maintain an even keel. Also , I find that when you get real high something always brings you down and when you get real low something always brings you back up.

After the dog is in the crate, and you have a tall cold one in your hand, you lean back in your chair with your eyes shut and then as you recount what happened today get as excited as you want. The more the better.

Make sense? Probably not till you have the time and experience to see the results.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:57 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Make sense? Probably not till you have the time and experience to see the results.

Ezzy
Yeah you're right... it doesn't make sense.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:22 pm

Ahh come on ezzy dont be such a downer, everything doesnt have to be so serious and thought out..what do we all have if we dont have excitement :mrgreen: thats great proudag08..the excitement will keep ya comin back for more, and trust me it ONLY gets better working dogs with other people..i love training my dogs but i sure enjoy it more with good company :wink: have fun like i said and dont mind ezzy he cant get excited or he'll blow a hip :P ....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

penrod

Post by penrod » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:00 am

I can see where Ezzy is coming from. I have been overly excited and chased birds for longer than I should have with my pup when it probably would have been best to call it a day. However, dogs get excited by making their excited owners happy, and that excitement will have you driving 7 hours to another state so they can hunt wild birds. Don't be scared of all caps and bold letters.