I think he's finally got it.

12 Volt Man

I think he's finally got it.

Post by 12 Volt Man » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:04 pm

I have been working hard lately trying to get Cowboy good and broke. He has shown that he is a fantastic retriever on wild birds. He didn't point many last season. Planted birds he has had a tendancy to break point and try to grab them.

Tonite, Critter Control and I worked a carded pigeon a few times and I finally felt like he has turned in to a bird dog. Cowboy did a fantastic job. He pointed nicely and held for each flush. Then watched the bird fly away. He even pointed a good 100 yards from us and held the whole time while we walked there.

There is a NSTRA trial this weekend and I think I might run him in one of Cooper's spots to see how he will do.

Not sure what to think about his tail. Sometimes it is good and straight. More often it is curled at the end like in these pictures.

Nice shot of Gur backing.

When we got to the field, I tried to sneak up on this Great Blue Herron. He flew before I could get a picture. Got one on the wing.

crittercontrol

Post by crittercontrol » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:09 pm

It sure feels good to get out and work the dogs.

Cowboy sure has come a long way. He’ll now hold a point for some time, and does it with style!

We have been using carded birds for our training with success. We don’t have access to homers so I am using feral birds that I can’t let get away, and carding seemed to be the answer. I got this pic before one bird flew.

Gur holds a point well, and is becoming a backing fool. However we are having some problems with her point...more specifically her lying down on point! She comes in so low to the ground she just lays down some times...a real dilemma, one we are having a hard time working on.

Fun times, can’t wait for the trial this weekend.

Caleb

Richard *UT*

Post by Richard *UT* » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:17 pm

12 volt just fix it with photoshop :lol: Looks like a good time
Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1618