At what point to train off horse/ATV

jimbo&rooster

At what point to train off horse/ATV

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:00 pm

At what age do ya'll start to run pups off of a horse or ATV? Ive been running my 16wk old pup from foot for the last couple of weeks and he will run out as far as 100+ yds on his own when hes on the ground with my GSP. What do you look for or at what point do you start to work a pup from a horse or ATV?

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

brad27

Re: At what point to train off horse/ATV

Post by brad27 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:28 pm

the pro i've been helping on the weekends runs dogs from a quad that are 4 months old. as long as you go at the dogs pace it should be fine. it's much easier to give the dog the exercise it needs when you are on a quad/horse.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:27 pm

4 months is old enough I feel in short stints. I try to make sure I can keep them forward .. looping back is a real bad habit and you don't want them to get tired of running either. I feel like I made a mistake with a little gun dog of mine early on running her where I couldn't see her and she created a habit of getting behind me if something strikes her fancy back there...

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:07 pm

At what point do you train off a horse/atv?....when you can no longer keep up to the dog.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Dashin Gun Dogs

Post by Dashin Gun Dogs » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:45 pm

If you plan on hunting or trialing from a horse or ATV then I would start, when the dog began to loop back because you are not fast enough. If you don't intend to do either, then I wouldn't suggest either. If you're looking to get into horse back trialing, go work with a mentor. There are too many things to evaluate to explain on a discussion board. Experience will definately be needed to purse futher horseback training.
Chris Andrews
Dashin Gun Dogs
www.dashingundogs.com
"Developing enjoyable and obedient companions"

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:22 am

I usually start running them from ATV around 7 mo. Training is only when they are reliable on birds from foot after breaking process, then start working from ATV at bigger distances.
brenda