Training While Hunting

snowmix

Training While Hunting

Post by snowmix » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:22 pm

My first post on here was about ending up with two puppies when I was only expecting one. I should have heeded the warnings that everyone gave me, and did everything I could to get rid of one of the dogs. I just couldn’t bring myself to give her to anyone but one of my close friends. None of them wanted a new puppy so I ended up keeping both dogs. I have had a serious shortage of pigeons and money to train them with. 6 months old and they have only got to train on about 15 pigeons. This is my fault, but I don’t know what my next step should be. I took them out dove hunting with me for a few hours last Saturday I know they are not gun shy since shot at a few. (Bad rounds is my guess) :oops: My dogs come when called voice and whistle. They are getting the hang of left and right with arm signals 90% on that. They sit stay heel. I can get them to stay on point for the most part. Some of the time when I get about even with them they try to pounce on whatever they are pointing at. Now my question. How can I get the most out of hunting. What pitfalls should I watch out for as I hunt them. What instruction should I give anyone that comes with me. And lastly but most importantly is there any hope of ending up with good dogs even though I haven't been able to train them the same way most people do here.

Dashin Gun Dogs

Re: Training While Hunting

Post by Dashin Gun Dogs » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:31 pm

If the dogs are bred well, then they will probably turn out anyway. If you can't afford birds, just take your dogs hunting. There used to no be trainers and people just hunted their dogs. The main instruction for you and anyone with you, DONT shoot a bird unless the dog allows you to flush it. Hopefully you nail a few for the dogs and the pick up on it pretty quick. It might be a good idea to let the dogs hunt seperate of each other. They are young, so put one down for 30-45 min and then put the other dog down. Once the dogs are hunting well for you as individuals, start letting them hunt together.

Do as much training around the house, and places you might hunt. Train the dogs seperate, so you can enforce the commands .

Good Luck.
Chris Andrews
Dashin Gun Dogs
www.dashingundogs.com
"Developing enjoyable and obedient companions"

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:19 pm

And relax, it wouldn't be a real big deal if they had been on no birds yet.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:18 am

No worries, at 7 months my latest had only bumped and chased 6 birds.......there is no rush !

I don't start in earnest until a pup is around 10 months +/- ........

If it were mine I would just take it easy, get the dog holding its birds, intro whoa and or stop to flush then go hunting......

And NEVER shoot a bird that isn't pointed and after the dog allows you to flush. Did i say NEVER!!!! ....oh yea i did :D
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:43 am

birddog1968 wrote:And NEVER shoot a bird that isn't pointed
I don't aprove of doing it for broke dogs as well. I prefer to shoot a well handled bird and not a dove hunt type shoot out.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:40 am

birddogger wrote:And relax, it wouldn't be a real big deal if they had been on no birds yet.

Charlie
+1. Not all of us have access to unlimited funds and birds. Teach them the basics in the yard, whoa, here, etc. Hunt them in the field. With good breeding the birds will do the rest. It'll just take longer. I would also hunt them alone, not together and you'll have less problems.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:38 am

birddog1968 wrote:And NEVER shoot a bird that isn't pointed and after the dog allows you to flush. Did i say NEVER!!!! ....oh yea i did :D
Just curious. When introducing gun fire to your pup and the dog is chasing birds, the theory is that no harm is done because the bird isn't being shot and thus the dog isn't getting what it desires?

Tim

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:42 pm

DogNewbie wrote:
birddog1968 wrote:And NEVER shoot a bird that isn't pointed and after the dog allows you to flush. Did i say NEVER!!!! ....oh yea i did :D
Just curious. When introducing gun fire to your pup and the dog is chasing birds, the theory is that no harm is done because the bird isn't being shot and thus the dog isn't getting what it desires?

Tim
If you shoot at a bird he busts, he'll learn that he doesn't have to stay staunch to get rewarded.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:02 pm

DogNewbie wrote:

Tim
During the intro to the gun the birds should be clipped wing pigeons and the dog should catch them the gun should be fired at distance as the dog is just about to catch the birds. This has nothing to do with hunting it is a different picture for the dog therefore the dog will not associate it with hunting . It should be done before any other bird work although after a proper intro to birds . Check out George hickox website great d..v. D

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:43 pm

Or check out my post and I never introduce a gun when a pup is working a bird. That is how you can make the pup associate the loud noice it doesn't like to finding and cathing birds. That comes later after the gun training. If a pup would shy from the gun while catching a bird you have a problem. Introduce the gun while the pup is playing chasing or just running having fun 40 yds away or so. I use a shotgun but many like to use something smaller but just shoot the opposite way the pup is from you. If no reaction, and there normally won't be you can do it again with the pup a little closer. Then wait for the next day and shoot again with the pup 40 yds or so and then do it again with the pup fairly close if there was no reaction. The third day you can introduce the bird and you should be OK to go. But watch your pup and you decide if you need to go slower by the pups reactions. Just take your time as you can't go too slow but you can if you go too fast. I am normally shooting over my pups by the thisrd trip out but they don't give prizes for speed.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:20 pm

shooting a blank at a bird the dog busts as a puppy is fine....I want that. I don't really care if the dog catches the bird in the end as long as the shot is fired in full chase when the dog gets some distance on you.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:27 pm

snowmix wrote:How can I get the most out of hunting. What pitfalls should I watch out for as I hunt them. What instruction should I give anyone that comes with me. And lastly but most importantly is there any hope of ending up with good dogs even though I haven't been able to train them the same way most people do here.
I am just curious why you think you can not train like others do? You really do not need a lot of pigeons to do this. Get a manual launcher and tether the birds to the launcher this way you do not lose the birds. It saves a lot of money in bird expense . I would not be shooting around any dog that has not been properly conditioned to associate the gun fire with birds. Again go to george hickox web site and read his previously published articles. There is a good one on this subject As well as many others.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:17 am

Snowmix,
Heck you don't have any problems at all, do your yard work with them, get them out one at a time on some wild birds. We use very few pen raised training birds.
Heck only having two pups is no problem, we usually have at least two pups and 4 grown gun dogs to work with. Its all a matter of knowing what you are doing and
enjoying what you do.
RGD/Dave

Bill Reid doing a little water training with the Ryman pups, that beautiful clear Blue Hole water is only 62 degrees even in the summer.