Finally introduced the E Collar!

shootfor25

Finally introduced the E Collar!

Post by shootfor25 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:17 pm

After having my collar for over a month and letting my pup wear it when playing and working I finally started to use it. I followed the George Hickox method....and all I can say is WOW! It is like the lights just came on full force! My pup is obeying...has been recalling at 100% and is doing awesome. Has anyone else had this moment where the dog just gets it? I think the collar has a lot to do with it...but I have also noticed an overall attitude and maturity difference lately. I'm loving it!
Trailblazers Trigger Elpheasedente

drake handler

Re: Finally introduced the E Collar!

Post by drake handler » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:41 pm

Yes i have but it had nothing to do with the e collar I started to work with a profesional trainor. I havnt really used it much because every tim ei do i mess it up so im going to wait until i know how to do it.
But thats good for you good luck with you pup.
Drake Handler

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:26 am

It is a good feeling when a plan comes together. Keep at it stick to the plan and it will go well. Its an amazing thing to see a dog respond thats what makes training them so much fun.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:40 pm

Shootfor25 -

Perhaps the greatest feeling I can experience with dogs is THAT MOMENT. One of the pure joys of messing with puppies for me is "being there" when the light comes on. I have been fooling with bird dogs for over fifty years and the anticipation of a puppy putting it together never loses its appeal. It makes all the work, all the frustration and all the heartache when they leave too soon...worth it. It is not quite the same as when you watch the light come on with your child...but it is a close second.

Enjoy.

RayG

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:37 pm

That's awesome. Just curious, how old is your pup?
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

shootfor25

Post by shootfor25 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:14 pm

He is 8 months old. I took my time and didn't rush into using it...but I see why people swear by the e collar!
Trailblazers Trigger Elpheasedente

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:09 am

shootfor25 wrote:He is 8 months old. I took my time and didn't rush into using it...but I see why people swear by the e collar!
Taking your time and not rushing things is a good thing! And that goes for all parts of training. A lot of people cause themselves and their dogs a lot of frustration and problems that have to be fixed by rushing things.

That is a great looking puppy!!

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:46 pm

I think that's the approach I'm going to take. Just got my pup (8 weeks old) and am not planning to do any training with e-collar until late next Spring. Good to hear you're having success with this approach. Thanks for posting.
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

canoe3

Post by canoe3 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:07 am

It sounds like we are at a similar point with our dog except your experience with the e-collar and mine have been different. I to have been following the George Hickox program and even purchased the e-collar the he recommends the DT Systems 2432. However in the 2 months that I have owned the collar I have tried to use it twice and both times the dog has yelped and cried even with it on the lowest setting. I just tried it for the 2nd time today and feel sure it has set my training with her back at least a week or two. My pup is a 7 month old vizsla . I would be interested to hear if anyone else has had similar problems. All other forms of her training are going okay and she is really interested in birds, I just purchased 10 pigeons that I am using with her and she is finding and pointing them in tall grass very well.

lowerGSP

Post by lowerGSP » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:03 am

I started my girl on Ecollar at around the same age. I put it on a very low setting and was amazed how she responded to it. She went from 50% recall to 99% all in about 25 mins.