Pigeon Loft

TM964x4

Pigeon Loft

Post by TM964x4 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:53 pm

Well I finally finished my loft and put 13 Homers in it. They seem to be doing well. They'll be in the loft for 2 weeks on Sunday. My question is how long before I let them out? Also what is the best way to teach them to use the trap door and go through the bobs? Here as a few pictures of the loft. Looking forward to using them. Thanks
ImageImage

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: Pigeon Loft

Post by DonF » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:42 pm

You sure those are homer's? I don't see any leg bands. There's one that doesn't even look like a feral. Looks like you have a 4x4 loft, to small for 13 birds. Need 2 sq per ft bird. No problem, use and shoot the excess.

If they are not homer's, after about a month or if they get on nest's, open the bobs and tie them up and let them come and go on their own a week or so. You'll probably lose some, don't worry, by next summer you'll be over run. After free flying about a week, go out after they leave the lofy and put down one bob. Do that for about a week then go to two bobs. I have been putting them down, every other bob. Gives them a bigger space and they seem to be more willing to push. Also, fly them while they are hungry.

Now if these really are homer's, all bets are off. Keep them captive and fly their off spring. I have a pretty big loft divided in half with my old birds on one side and the young birds on the other. Young birds have access to free flight, old birds get out to a 16'x 20' enclosed pen. It has a set of bobs in it and I get the young birds started traping in there.

That is a nice looking loft. Congradulations! You will never regret building it. I haven't bought or caught a pigeon in over 20yrs, ferals. My ferals home from 35 mi plus easily. They live on chicken scratch.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:58 pm

The birds in the pic are homers and if you bought them for homers they probably are. Like Don says don't scare them off your loft but let them do their thing as they want. Were they young unflown birds when you got them, if so they will settle pretty quickly. If they have been flown I would wait till they have babies of their own to feed and try it then. Your loft is tight for many pigeons but if it is 4X4 it should be OK for 10 or so when you include the aviary.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:45 am

I like those perches, can you tell me where you found them?
Happily owned by red heads-
Cairncross Cat Ballou
Donegans Deal Me In (11/25/2008-6/14/2012)

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:14 am

KwikIrish wrote:I like those perches, can you tell me where you found them?
Are you following me around? :mrgreen:

Keith White

Post by Keith White » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:53 am

I don't understand why people say this type of loft is only good for 10 birds or so. My loft is similar to this maybe a tad taller is the only difference. I currently keep 22-25 birds in my loft and have not had any problems so far. I want to build a bigger loft but for now it seems to be working.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:42 am

Keith White wrote:I don't understand why people say this type of loft is only good for 10 birds or so. My loft is similar to this maybe a tad taller is the only difference. I currently keep 22-25 birds in my loft and have not had any problems so far. I want to build a bigger loft but for now it seems to be working.
We use that figure because it is best for the birds. You can keep a bird in a 6in by 12 inch area but it isn't going to remain healthy and active. And when I am training with the birds I want healthy and active. And if you are racing the birds you will soon learn how space and ventilation my be one of the biggest needs if you want to win.

I may be different, but I have had people say they are just a tool so who cares. I use them as a tool but as long as my tools are alive and being kspt my me they deserve to be kept in reasonable conditions such as clean, light, ventilated, and with enough space for all to eat and roost.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:45 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Keith White wrote:I don't understand why people say this type of loft is only good for 10 birds or so. My loft is similar to this maybe a tad taller is the only difference. I currently keep 22-25 birds in my loft and have not had any problems so far. I want to build a bigger loft but for now it seems to be working.
We use that figure because it is best for the birds. You can keep a bird in a 6in by 12 inch area but it isn't going to remain healthy and active. And when I am training with the birds I want healthy and active. And if you are racing the birds you will soon learn how space and ventilation my be one of the biggest needs if you want to win.

I may be different, but I have had people say they are just a tool so who cares. I use them as a tool but as long as my tools are alive and being kept by me they deserve to be kept in reasonable conditions such as clean, light, ventilated, and with enough space for all to eat and roost.

Ezzy
A whole lot of years ago, pigeons were just a tool to me also. Somewhere alnog the way they became something else. Some times I'll go into a loft and just watch them And I can't help but watch when they are out flying. About 20 yrs ago we found some unwanted tumblers and rollers and brought them home. It is a hoot watching them do their thing. The tumblers would be flying along and look like they just got shot. The rollers would be flying then set their wings and rock a few times and over they would go. I make sure my birds have plenty of room.

TN_LABS

Post by TN_LABS » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:36 am

DonF wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:
Ezzy
A whole lot of years ago, pigeons were just a tool to me also. Somewhere alnog the way they became something else. Some times I'll go into a loft and just watch them And I can't help but watch when they are out flying. About 20 yrs ago we found some unwanted tumblers and rollers and brought them home. It is a hoot watching them do their thing. The tumblers would be flying along and look like they just got shot. The rollers would be flying then set their wings and rock a few times and over they would go. I make sure my birds have plenty of room.

Same here. Happened a couple years ago on a smaller scale. I'm now flying my first birds (got a few older birds from a friend to breed). Mine are homers, so it's fun for me and the kids to take a bird when we leave the house and have them come back.